Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2017, 04:40 PM   #1

Refrigerator opens

My refrigerator sometimes opens when driving. Any links to an effective gadget to keep it closed. I currently use a bunjee cord
bshan0711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2017, 04:42 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ours did that on our first trip, while at a friends house I found a scrap piece of plywood and had him cut a wide slot in it. Our door has two handles and the plywood slips over the top and holds it shut. Also added the spring bars inside to keep stuff from shifting too much.
Kind of hard to see the handles in the picture but they're the two long silver bars just beyond the freezer door ice/water dispenser. CC added two spring latches to each of the two doors and it's still not enough.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6999 (10).jpg
Views:	118
Size:	229.2 KB
ID:	152896  
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 04:46 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
What kind of refrigerator is it? Most RV fridges have a door lock, even if it's not obvious.

It wasn't obvious on our coach. One smashed jar of pickles later we figured it out...
Old 02-24-2017, 04:53 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

For a residential fridge that has no door latch, you have to be creative about what works with your fridge door(s)/drawers and cabinetry. We found two bungie cords (freezer & fridge) and eye bolts in the cabinet surround to be easy and inexpensive, though rather "unsophisticated". Worked better and easier than the fancy latches we tried. But I've seen models where a hook & eye was perfect, or various "childproof latch" products, and all sorts of cabinet latches.
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 09:22 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
Seeing as how you didn't tell us what kind of refer you have, here is what I use on our Samsung.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Refer Lock.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	152908  
Old 02-25-2017, 03:17 AM   #6
RV LIFE Support Team

We put is some eye hooks on each side and hook a bungee to hold the doors.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 03:40 AM   #7
gMw

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Carolina Campers
We use Lock-n-Latch strips…
gMw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 07:21 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Several, depending on how neat and willing to drill holes.

First: Residential type fridge or RV type. RV types are supposed to have a POSITIVE latch to keep 'em closed.

Now. on to the races.

One of the easiest "latches" to make is a good old fashion butt hinge, These come in two flavors, Removable pin and fixed pin (the hinge pin)
Get the removable kind (or machine the non-removable pin and remove it) Now using a Dremel or competitor's hand tool "Shorten" the hinge joint pieces a bit so it's easier to get them together and apart.

Mount the hinge on the door/frame using short sheet metal screws

Drop a pin (Cotte pins work well) into the hinge to lock, I use this on my kitchen cabinets and let me tell you those doors do NOT open when the pin is in place.

Camping world sells a plastic latch that helps hold it closed I had a problem with the freezer in my sticks and bricks so I added that.. Mounting is much the same as above screws included Will try to find a link.

Back in my Trailer days I started, as do most, with "Coleman Coolers" (one was a genuine Coleman) Ice chests.. But the campground I usually stayed at started charging for electrical so I said "I'm going to get even" and went out and bought a small (Dorm/office size) Residential fridge.

So instead of spending as much as 15 dollars a day on ICE, I spent 4.00 on electricity... He He He, made my own ice, food stayed better (You know how lunchmeat gets in ice chest coolers)_ and I considered it a WIN WIN for me and a loss for the park.. oh well.

Sold that to another RVer when I got the class A.

So why tell this.. Well to keep the door closed I simply wrapped a cargo strap around it No holes, No drilling just a cargo strap.

I also added a couple more (Used the "Feet" to hold these in place) to use as handles for lifting it in and out of the Trailer. Really liked that box.

Alas in browsing CW's online catalog I did not find that plastic latch.
But Camping World is not the only place, ther is also E-Bay

|Norcold 615785 RV Refrigerator Black Door Latch
Old 02-25-2017, 07:29 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Stainless steel cabinet pulls on each side and elastic/velcro straps.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2017, 12:16 PM   #10

Ours came with some straps to link the door handles that snapped closed. We dropped those for some similar straps that Velcro closed. OEM took 3 and did not work well, where one Velcro strap works quite well.

Tom

Tags
refrigerator