Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2015, 03:29 PM   #1

Refrigerator Question

Norcold 4-door frig. in a '07 40QDH Phaeton. We started out 2 days ago. Right away the frig refused to run on A/C, had to switch LP while on the road. (It beeps to warn you) When we parked and hooked up to shore power it ran on A/C fine.
What am I missing? Won't (doesn't) it run on the inverter? I checked the fuse bays and could not find one marked "Refrigerator".
Any ideas?
Thanks,
Don

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2015, 04:02 PM   #2

If you remove the outside cover you will see two outlets. One is for the ice maker (inverter outlet) and the other is for the fridge (non inverter outlet). It is set up so that the auto function of the fridge will work. If the power is turned off at the pedestal or the generator is shut off, the fridge will sense the power gone and automatically switch to propane. This will happen if the fridge switch is set on the auto position. If the fridge was plugged into the inverter powered outlet then it would work off the inverter and if you were stopped without plugging in then it would drain your house batteries pretty quickly (couple of hours or so). The ice maker only dumps every 3 hours or so it wouldn't use very much battery power. That's the way Tiffin sets them up. Steve

steved44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 04:06 PM   #3

There is a 5A fuse under the outside cover that might be blown and keeping the fridge from switching to electric. It's located under the larger circuit board cover. It's probably a little hard to get to if the propane line is in the way, but you can work it out of there. Good luck Steve
Old 10-21-2015, 05:09 PM   #4

Thanks Steve. I removed the cover and there is a lot going back there. Nobody has been in there that I know of for the last 3 years. The plugs couldn't have be switched. I could not find the fuse you referred too and I hesitate to bang around in there as we're getting by fine for now. We hope to be in Red Bay in 3 days so maybe they can give me a "quick fix".
Thanks for your quick response and sharing your knowledge.
Don
Old 10-21-2015, 05:42 PM   #5

Don, it should be one of the two purple fuses on the bottom of this board. This is under the larger of the two fuse panels on the back of the fridge. My current bus has a residential fridge so I don't have it here to look at. Steve
Old 10-21-2015, 06:26 PM   #6

May I ask why you want to run it on A/C While traveling??? We always run ours on propane while in motion. It only runs on A/C when plugged in to shore power. Even then its set on auto so that if we have a power outasge it will switch over with no imput ftom us. If you run it off your invertor your batteries are going to probable run down very quickly
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:41 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Peetz.....most coaches aren't set up to run on A/C while driving, even if you do have an inverter. The only time they will, is when the generator is running. The refer should be set to AUTO, which will decide if it should run on propane or A/C when available (connected to shore power or generator on).

Our Norcold was wired to run on propane and only on A/C when connected to shore power. Ours had a second plug, behind the refer that was powered by the inverter. This plug powered the ice maker so that you could make ice when boondocking.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 09:37 PM   #8

this happened to me once this summer, and i could not find the issue. It would not work on shore power so i ran the propane all weekend. I did find one of the ground fault circuit breakers on that side of the coach was tripped but it should not have had anything to do with it. It did not change anything when i re set it.
the next time i rolled out the coach, it was all good.

My point, see if it repeats.
ftodaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 07:28 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Why does it not run on inverter?
The fridge, when runnning on A/C draws between 250 and 350 watts. that is between 25 and 35 amps.. Your house batteries are likely (At best) a pair of GC-2' that's 220 amp hours give or take. of that 220 amp hours you can use 110, that's about 3 hours of refrigerator operation.

That is why it does not run on the inverter.

Tags
refrigerator