RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2018, 06:54 PM   #15

Entegra Owners Club
I was just up at NIRVC in Atlanta where they store upwards of 300 coaches, it's amazing how many people bring their coaches all the way from Montana, South Dakota etc. To store them!

JMD VENTURES is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2018, 10:18 PM   #16

Side question for those with the LLC option. if the coach registered through the LLC and you have to get commercial insurance then does that put the RV usage as commercial? meaning you are now under the jurisdiction of the DOT, logbooks, weight stations, and CDL licensing since it is now a commercial vehicle?

Old 02-14-2018, 07:27 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawn6596 View Post
Side question for those with the LLC option. if the coach registered through the LLC and you have to get commercial insurance then does that put the RV usage as commercial? meaning you are now under the jurisdiction of the DOT, logbooks, weight stations, and CDL licensing since it is now a commercial vehicle?

No you are not a commercial vehicle if your RV is registered in an LLC. A very common misconception is that an LLC is a business. It is not. An LLC is an asset protection entity. We have clients that will even put their personal residence into an LLC to protect against lawsuits. Lawsuits seem to have become a cottage industry in the US and an LLC can help protect against them.
Old 02-14-2018, 07:31 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelag View Post
I have a summer home (WA) and a winter home (AZ) and am partners in a very nice piece of property in OR.. I have a car registered in WA and a car in AZ and my Unit and other stuff is registered in OR... mind you, we've been doing this for 30 years.. no sales tax in OR, much lower license in OR... My insurance agent covers all this based on where its based... no problems..

The agent has never asked who's name is on the title, or where the plate is from... he covers the homes and vehicles from his office in WA... I've never been asked why my tow vehicle is from one state, my trailer from another state and my drivers license from another state.. but we have proper documents for all...

WA employees State Patrol officers who drive around looking for cars/vehicles/MH's etc parked in the driveway at night, those who have been avoiding sales tax and high plate costs... We have survived this test more than once by proving we owned property in another state... in our case we have a copy of the property tax document...

I don't know the real answers on MT... but I'm not having issues.... because we passed the tests.... If I was in your spot I'd look at a shared lot in MT, could be bare ground... and there's lots of empty lots for $2K - $3K to be had there... and it's easy to have a mail drop...

I hope this gives you some idea's...

I personally would look at the program in MT, especially if it meant a large saving over the years..
The issues the OP is looking to avoid are those of state taxes. Washington State is much different than Massachusetts. What may work in one state does not necessarily work in another. It wasn't that long ago that a senator and former presidential candidate from MA got nailed by the state taxation authorities for basing his yacht in RI to avoid the MA taxes. If they will go after a US Senator then I can assure you that any non political individual will be a big target.
Old 02-14-2018, 08:22 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
The issues the OP is looking to avoid are those of state taxes. Washington State is much different than Massachusetts. What may work in one state does not necessarily work in another. It wasn't that long ago that a senator and former presidential candidate from MA got nailed by the state taxation authorities for basing his yacht in RI to avoid the MA taxes. If they will go after a US Senator then I can assure you that any non political individual will be a big target.
The real frustrating part of the whole thing is that we've run into big time "selective interpretation" when it comes to deciding whether you are a resident of a specific state of not.

Case in point. Our oldest attended graduate school in Pullman, WA. Her car was registered in KY. Two months after moving there, the police did a drive by of her apartment complex as she was getting out of the car, saw a KY plate, and she received a ticket with a fine because as a resident of WA state, she was driving a vehicle from out of state. The police stated that since she had a residence, and had a job (even if the job was across the border in Moscow ID) she was considered a resident of WA State. We said GREAT! Since the Gov't has stated that she is an "instant" WA state resident, then in state tuition applies, right?

Wrong, you must be a resident for 1 year PRIOR to the term, or quarter you are registering for is scheduled to start in order to be considered a resident for tuition purposes!

So the bottom line is, according to WA state, you are a resident for purposes of making more money off of you, but NOT a resident for the purposes of making more money off of you . . . whichever benefits the state tax coffers more.

Interesting conclusion: She went to court, provided them with a copy of the title which shows the car title and registration is in her parents names, NOT HERS, and WE BOTH have been residents of KY for the last 11 years, and it was dismissed. The frustrating part is that she explained that to the police officer and he stated it didn't matter . . . .
Hit_the_Rhod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 08:45 AM   #20

Hit_the_Rhod, I wish I could hit the "thumbs up" on your post
RManning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 11:47 AM   #21

I know a lot of states are trying to soak you for the riches they think you possess...You might think of Oregon, if you're planning on relocating.

DPMH registrations are a set amount, then scaled by how many feet long. In our 38-39' Navigator's case, that would equal $340 every 2 years.

Now, here's the fun part...

If you're a Disabled Vet or have any other associated qualifier (check with Oregon DOT/DMV), you can get yourself set up with permanent plates. One-time fee less than $100, and you NEVER PAY AGAIN.

(Oh, and the scenery out here is to kill for, and we, like Montana, have no sales tax!)
ArgoPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 12:05 PM   #22
Community Moderator

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hit_the_Rhod View Post
The real frustrating part of the whole thing is that we've run into big time "selective interpretation" when it comes to deciding whether you are a resident of a specific state of not.

Case in point. Our oldest attended graduate school in Pullman, WA. Her car was registered in KY. Two months after moving there, the police did a drive by of her apartment complex as she was getting out of the car, saw a KY plate, and she received a ticket with a fine because as a resident of WA state, she was driving a vehicle from out of state. The police stated that since she had a residence, and had a job (even if the job was across the border in Moscow ID) she was considered a resident of WA State. We said GREAT! Since the Gov't has stated that she is an "instant" WA state resident, then in state tuition applies, right?

Wrong, you must be a resident for 1 year PRIOR to the term, or quarter you are registering for is scheduled to start in order to be considered a resident for tuition purposes!

So the bottom line is, according to WA state, you are a resident for purposes of making more money off of you, but NOT a resident for the purposes of making more money off of you . . . whichever benefits the state tax coffers more.

Interesting conclusion: She went to court, provided them with a copy of the title which shows the car title and registration is in her parents names, NOT HERS, and WE BOTH have been residents of KY for the last 11 years, and it was dismissed. The frustrating part is that she explained that to the police officer and he stated it didn't matter . . . .
That's not the only state. Texas requires you to get a Texas DL and plates for your car within 30 days of arriving in the state. You get Texas residence tuition after a year too.
Old 02-14-2018, 04:25 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
If you do a search you will find many threads on the Montana LLC's. Can it be done legally? Yes, but you need to find out the residency, sales tax, and registration laws of Mass. and you need to see if you can comply with those laws and document your compliance. If you can do all of the above then go for it. If you can't, then bite the bullet and pay the freight.

I can tell you from experience that a number of states, of which yours is one, are very aggressive in pursuing tax money that they feel is owed to them. We had one client get nailed by NYS and it was a very expensive lesson for him. Even if you are able to comply with everything listed you may still have to defend your use of the Montana LLC and that can also be expensive.
If I am a N.Y. resident but never enter NY with my MH. It is stored in another state where I own property when not in use. Any opinion where it should be registered?
az99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 04:36 PM   #24

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArgoPilot View Post
I know a lot of states are trying to soak you for the riches they think you possess...You might think of Oregon, if you're planning on relocating.

DPMH registrations are a set amount, then scaled by how many feet long. In our 38-39' Navigator's case, that would equal $340 every 2 years.

Now, here's the fun part...

If you're a Disabled Vet or have any other associated qualifier (check with Oregon DOT/DMV), you can get yourself set up with permanent plates. One-time fee less than $100, and you NEVER PAY AGAIN.

(Oh, and the scenery out here is to kill for, and we, like Montana, have no sales tax!)
OR does have income tax at about 9% so take that into consideration too.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 06:11 PM   #25

I was considering Montana, a few of my friends went that way, but decided it was not worth the penalties if caught, so I paid California sales tax and their yearly license fees which exceed $1100.00 and thanks to Gov Brown they are going up again this year. You would think there would be a discount for retirees.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:56 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by az99 View Post
If I am a N.Y. resident but never enter NY with my MH. It is stored in another state where I own property when not in use. Any opinion where it should be registered?

The best answer to your question is that it depends. Where is your rig stored? What's the laws in that state? Is it outside storage? From a pure NYS perspective you could go the Montana LLC route, but again, it depends on where the unit is stored. NY law says that if you are an owner of any non-NY entity which owns a vehicle and YOU (also includes family) drive that vehicle in NYS then the vehicle is subject to NYS taxes. If you are keeping the rig in PA or VT or some other state then you would have to see what their laws are.

I ask the question about the outside storage from a practical standpoint. If it is outside storage it would be easier for there to be an issue with the out of state plates.
Old 02-15-2018, 09:16 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RManning View Post
Hit_the_Rhod, I wish I could hit the "thumbs up" on your post
Quote:
Originally Posted by barmcd View Post
That's not the only state. Texas requires you to get a Texas DL and plates for your car within 30 days of arriving in the state. You get Texas residence tuition after a year too.
It's just a little frustrating that individual states can selectively apply the rules, but we the taxpayers get hosed!

Heck, I've been trying to get WA state to take me of their voter registration roles for 12 years now, since I retired from the military. No luck, still get absentee ballots regular as clockwork, and two jury summons in the last 12 years . . .

Numerous phone calls, five letters, two of them certified mail . . . no luck . . . Snohomish says it's Olympia's problem, Olympia says it's Snohomish problem. . . . .

I wonder which party I've been voting for for the last 12 years?
Hit_the_Rhod is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 11:17 AM   #28

Scot, we have to deal with these residency issues all the time and you are right, it is frustrating. You aren't a resident for in state tuition until you've been there a year but you are a resident for tax and registration purposes at 30 days. Add to it you are often dealing with an unfriendly bureaucracy that sometimes does not even speak English well enough to be understood. The blood pressure can rise very quickly in those circumstances.

The issue of who is a resident and who is not is the main reason that I urge anyone considering a Montana LLC or other tax saving idea to be very, very careful and to make sure they know what they are doing. Relying on the Montana attorneys is not always wise. They sent me the NY statutes and told me that there would be no issue with having the rig in NY and be licensed in a Montana LLC when the law is pretty clear that I would be SOL (technical tax term meaning Slightly Out of Luck) if I had the Montana LLC. Their attitude could best be summed up that they get their money and I get the risk. Not a good trade off.