Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2018, 08:54 AM   #1

Registering and Insuring

As a Mass. resident registering and insuring a 2017 DSDP is outrageous! Excise tax alone is thousands of dollars. So my question would be, is, what have you creative owners done to save money? Are you registering elsewhere and if so where and why?
vfauto is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2018, 09:00 AM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Oh boy, that's a can of worms you're opening.
Here in WA my use/sales tax alone would have been around $75,000 on my rig when new. Buying used and trading I only paid $25,000. Would I liked to avoid paying that? Sure, but no legal way for me.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:04 AM   #3

State of Montana, there are numerous companies and registering as LLC. I liked the idea and did it years ago. There are some that thing it’s not ok. It’s up to you but you will save thousands
hshiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:06 AM   #4

Hshiner, What's your MH insurance like when you register as an LLC? Is it commercial insurance? Just wondering.
cruzbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:10 AM   #5

It’s commercial, it’s reasonably priced. It’s doesn’t seem any more then personal. It’s with progressive for the last 2 years.
hshiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:21 AM   #6

If you do a search you will find many threads on the Montana LLC's. Can it be done legally? Yes, but you need to find out the residency, sales tax, and registration laws of Mass. and you need to see if you can comply with those laws and document your compliance. If you can do all of the above then go for it. If you can't, then bite the bullet and pay the freight.

I can tell you from experience that a number of states, of which yours is one, are very aggressive in pursuing tax money that they feel is owed to them. We had one client get nailed by NYS and it was a very expensive lesson for him. Even if you are able to comply with everything listed you may still have to defend your use of the Montana LLC and that can also be expensive.

Also, if your rig is more than $300,000 you will be subject to a new tax in Montana that is $800 per year for a ten year period.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman View Post
If you do a search you will find many threads on the Montana LLC's. Can it be done legally? Yes, but you need to find out the residency, sales tax, and registration laws of Mass. and you need to see if you can comply with those laws and document your compliance. If you can do all of the above then go for it. If you can't, then bite the bullet and pay the freight.

I can tell you from experience that a number of states, of which yours is one, are very aggressive in pursuing tax money that they feel is owed to them. We had one client get nailed by NYS and it was a very expensive lesson for him. Even if you are able to comply with everything listed you may still have to defend your use of the Montana LLC and that can also be expensive.

Also, if your rig is more than $300,000 you will be subject to a new tax in Montana that is $800 per year for a ten year period.
Ignore the above at your financial peril. Your state of residency will in all likelihood be the determining factor. Most law enforcement vehicles now have license plate scanners which log the location of the vehicle (among other things). A pattern of physical location can be prima facie evidence of residency. Even prior to that technology, LE in many urbanized areas would inquire, or example, how long a vehicle with out-of-state plates has been parked in an apartment complex. Happened to me when I moved to Maryland in 1987. I had been there 4 months and was given a warning to register my vehicle in Maryland. The state wants the money.
Sandy Swede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:12 AM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Take what wnytaxman says and believe it. The only thing I can add about the states aggressive position on you owing them tax money is that you are guilty until you prove you are innocent.
Old 02-13-2018, 11:59 AM   #9

How tied are you to living in Massachusetts? That state is obviously very proud of their government services. There are many factors people use to determine in which state they choose to domicile, taxes and cost of living being among them. Is moving or going full-time in your new coach even an option?
Old 02-13-2018, 04:37 PM   #10

Entegra Owners Club
If you go the Montana route, make sure you don't buy the coach in your home state. The companies that provide this service are very knowledgeable and generally will give you good advice. We have done it and have had no problems. Of course the coach isn't in plain site of LE when not in use. Mike
JMD VENTURES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 04:50 PM   #11

I am next door in Rhode Island. The coach, and a new car, is the gift that keeps on giving as far as the state is concerned. It’s the major reason we haven’t updated to a new coach. We are looking into relocating for the required six months plus a day for this and other reasons. When I start pulling from the IRA, I don’t really want to fork over to Rhode Island who waste money like no other state.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 04:51 PM   #12

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22m...y=9&gws_rd=ssl

Rots of Ruck......

As easy as computer searches are becoming, I bet that you will have a hard time 'splaining to your high tax state why everything you have, own, and have registered for is in that state when the LLC and your coach is the only thing in Montana. Look at NY State and NYC taxes, and how many "high profile / high earners" that they audit almost yearly and require them to pay thousands to prove that they actually have moved, and still live in other states. It's only gonna get worse, especially in the northeast.

If you don't like your states high taxes, then move.
Old 02-13-2018, 05:09 PM   #13

Newmar Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Are you full-timing?

There are plenty of options if your full-timing. You can change your domicile state to South Dakota, Texas or others and save tons of money.

By the way I went to Hartford AARP insurance for my coach and saved a $1000 a year on my insurance. And they were one of the few that would insure for full-time use. I even was able to add a $35K contents rider for another $100 a year. Very happy with Hartford so far..
flyfishidaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 05:14 PM   #14

I have a summer home (WA) and a winter home (AZ) and am partners in a very nice piece of property in OR.. I have a car registered in WA and a car in AZ and my Unit and other stuff is registered in OR... mind you, we've been doing this for 30 years.. no sales tax in OR, much lower license in OR... My insurance agent covers all this based on where its based... no problems..

The agent has never asked who's name is on the title, or where the plate is from... he covers the homes and vehicles from his office in WA... I've never been asked why my tow vehicle is from one state, my trailer from another state and my drivers license from another state.. but we have proper documents for all...

WA employees State Patrol officers who drive around looking for cars/vehicles/MH's etc parked in the driveway at night, those who have been avoiding sales tax and high plate costs... We have survived this test more than once by proving we owned property in another state... in our case we have a copy of the property tax document...

I don't know the real answers on MT... but I'm not having issues.... because we passed the tests.... If I was in your spot I'd look at a shared lot in MT, could be bare ground... and there's lots of empty lots for $2K - $3K to be had there... and it's easy to have a mail drop...

I hope this gives you some idea's...

I personally would look at the program in MT, especially if it meant a large saving over the years..