Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2016, 12:44 PM   #15

This has been discussed ad nauseam on this and other RV sites. Search for Montana LLC and you'll have enough reading for a day. Bottom line is, there are legitimate ways to reduce your taxes thru tax avoidance, and illegitimate ways thru tax evasion. You better research things thoroughly before you leap.

ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2016, 12:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasA View Post
Florida doesn't have personal property tax. You can get a Florida address with one of the mail forwarding services there. With that you can register your motorhome in Florida. You actually have to take your coach to the DMV office to do this as someone in the office has to see the VIN. After you register there, you don't have to keep it there.
I use MyRVMail.com, their website has good information about registering your coach in Florida

We just did that last year but I didn't need to bring the Moho to them. I wonder why? I did it in Lee county. We bought a lot in Fort Myers. It saves me a thousand a year in plate cost. Good for Florida! My wife got a Florida DL. I will soon but not yet. We full time so no worries on dodging any tax.

Old 06-09-2016, 12:48 PM   #17
epj

Montana. That's where my business is headquartered.
Old 06-09-2016, 12:49 PM   #18

Ho Phil57, so if you have a lot in Florida that will qualifies you for a Florida drivers license. I did not know that!

Epj, than you're good to go!
Old 06-09-2016, 02:59 PM   #19

I live in Hawaii, keep my motor home in WA state and register the coach and toad in Alaska. I just walk in to the dmv and show the loc and register it. Only catch is You need a residence address in Alaska. We did this because in Hawaii you need to have the vehicle there for an annual safety check which would be impossible. Registration fee in Alaska is $145 for 2 yrs. same price for the toad and coach. Only works because we spend summers fishing in soldotna Alaska.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:24 PM   #20

I'm reading your post to mean that you have no intention of changing your domicile to another state, but just attempting to avoid a large tax hit.

Bottom line is that if you will remain a resident of Maine with no other property, vacation or otherwise, in another state you need to register it there.
Nana25K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:35 PM   #21

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawaii Dick View Post
I live in Hawaii, keep my motor home in WA state and register the coach and toad in Alaska. I just walk in to the dmv and show the loc and register it. Only catch is You need a residence address in Alaska. We did this because in Hawaii you need to have the vehicle there for an annual safety check which would be impossible. Registration fee in Alaska is $145 for 2 yrs. same price for the toad and coach. Only works because we spend summers fishing in soldotna Alaska.
You going up there with Lloyd and Lorraine this year?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:13 AM   #22

Thumbs up

Being Maine residents also,we share your pain. In our town, we are only faced with annual registration costs(excise tax),no personal property tax,but it is still ridiculous.We researched many options,but our lawyer says apart from leaving the state ,there is no simple legal solution.Clearly a price we pay for working hard to better ourselves and living in one beautiful state. We are not moving!
Old 06-10-2016, 07:54 AM   #23

Sadly, whenever this topic comes up there is much more misinformation than information. Can one legally register an RV in another state other than the one in which you live? The answer is yes, but....

You need to do a lot of homework to find out if it will work for you and your circumstances. First, find out the laws of your home state as to residency and vehicle registration. Second, see if you can comply and document your compliance with the laws of your state. If you can accomplish both of these tasks then your only other question is whether or not you may be willing to defend your use of a Montana, Florida, or whatever state you may choose, registration. Remember, in taxation the burden of proof is on the taxpayer not on the state so be prepared to defend your use of another state registration.

Others have mentioned that you can title your rig in an adjoining state and not bring it into your state. Again, we have the "True, but....." problem. Let's say you park the rig in NH and don't bring it into Maine. Now your RV is a resident of NH and you must comply with their laws and taxes.

Home may be where the heart is, but for vehicles home is where they are garaged or stored and they will be taxed accordingly.
Old 06-10-2016, 10:18 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Does anyone know if there are states ythat ou can register you Class A in without living their, that is reasonable cost wise ?
My town in Maine hits you with a very high Excise Tax every year plus a high Registration fee.
Plenty of them, but choosing one is not your main problem. Your home state is still probably going to tax you if you continue to live there and bring the motorhome into the state. For example, most states require than any vehicle kept in-state for more than 30 Days be titled and registered there. And a resident of the state who avoids taxes may well be guilty of "tax evasion" under state laws. It's Maine's laws you need to be worried about, not the other state. The other states will be happy to accept your money.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 10:40 AM   #25

Country Coach Owners Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
If taxes were not so confiscatory this would not even be an issue.

Remember that our country came about over taxes being ridiculous. As such it is your patriotic duty to make every effort possible to reduce taxes where you live, find ways to avoid them or even outright revolt (not armed of course, lets not go off the deep end).

Ya might start with the idea that you stop electing jackwagons who see every dollar you have as theirs to take at will. Then you dont have to hunt for ways to avoid them. Just sayin'
1992 Country Coach Magna #4926 "Maggie" 25' Stacker "The Toy Box"
Facebook | IRV2 | YouTube | Twitter
Old Car Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 11:02 AM   #26

Send a message via AIM to Johnitis Send a message via MSN to Johnitis Send a message via Yahoo to Johnitis
It is also your "patriotic duty" and moral obligation to pay taxes. In an RV forum, you do understand how roads and highways come about, right? A lot of older folk in here rely upon younger people who work and pay their taxes for their existences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Car Nut View Post
If taxes were not so confiscatory this would not even be an issue.

Remember that our country came about over taxes being ridiculous. As such it is your patriotic duty to make every effort possible to reduce taxes where you live, find ways to avoid them or even outright revolt (not armed of course, lets not go off the deep end).

Ya might start with the idea that you stop electing jackwagons who see every dollar you have as theirs to take at will. Then you dont have to hunt for ways to avoid them. Just sayin'
Old 06-11-2016, 07:27 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnitis View Post
It is also your "patriotic duty" and moral obligation to pay taxes. In an RV forum, you do understand how roads and highways come about, right? A lot of older folk in here rely upon younger people who work and pay their taxes for their existences.
Unfortunately, in my state (RI), the fuel tax goes into the general treasury and is spent elsewhere, i.e., not on roads and bridges. One of the many things I find frustrating. Conversely, we are 1/2 mile from the ocean and the waves lull me to sleep at night in the summer so its hard to simply pick up and move elsewhere. I would find it a lot less frustrating if the state government wasn't such a mess but the same people always seem to be re-elected so change is not in the future from what I can see.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 07:34 AM   #28

"It is also your "patriotic duty" and moral obligation to pay taxes."

What a joke!