Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2016, 04:41 AM   #1

Registration and excise tax

Does anyone know if there are states ythat ou can register you Class A in without living their, that is reasonable cost wise ?
My town in Maine hits you with a very high Excise Tax every year plus a high Registration fee.
maxwedgemaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2016, 05:14 AM   #2

Montana lets you register rv under a corporation. Not sure if it would save you money, though.
FaithBowls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 05:45 AM   #3

Just be very very careful if you register a vehicle in another state just to avoid taxes. There is a good possibility your state or town can find out and they could come after you for tax evasion and assess penalties.

Check out this and many other references to tax evasion on the internet:
Authorities Go After Cars With Out-of-State Plates | NBC Connecticut
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 05:54 AM   #4

I am in Rhode Island and it broke my heart to give them the sales tax and then the annual vehicle personal property tax is the gift that keeps on giving. I will likely pay for the coach a second time in taxes in the coming years. It is unfortunately the cost of living in the northeast and my state squanders the tax revenue on stupid things, which is just further aggravation. It is also one reason why our state economy is sluggish, new car sales and other tax burdened purchases are slow compared to the rest of the country. And heaven help you if you live in Providence, the tax rate on a vehicle is $75 per thousand of value and they use book value. Try paying that on a $300K coach every year. I went to the RV show two years ago at the Big E and had a dealer laugh when I told them I lived in RI and then they suggested moving out of state prior to buying a new coach as the taxes would incredible.

I been told that you can register a car in Vermont to avoid the personal property tax. Not sure if the same is true for a coach. Not something I would personally attempt or recommend.
vettenuts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:49 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
SD charges 4% sales tax on non-resident vehicles. Yearly tag renewals are based on value. Can use one of the several mail forwarding services.
skypilot_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 06:52 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
max..... more information necessary. Do you intend to keep living in Maine while your coach is registered elsewhere? Do you intend to start living full time in your coach, traveling about and not staying in one place for a substantial period of time?

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, Cat, '04 Element
NHSO RVM103
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:29 AM   #7

Why not go with Montana LLC and never take your Motorhome into Main They can't tax or assess you for something not within the state right?

Just never go over the Main border!!!
WyoFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:50 AM   #8

Where is it parked?

Tax man will go for short hairs if parked not where tagged.
Old 06-09-2016, 07:54 AM   #9

Florida doesn't have personal property tax. You can get a Florida address with one of the mail forwarding services there. With that you can register your motorhome in Florida. You actually have to take your coach to the DMV office to do this as someone in the office has to see the VIN. After you register there, you don't have to keep it there.
I use MyRVMail.com, their website has good information about registering your coach in Florida
ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 07:57 AM   #10

There are some valid & legal reasons you may have a vehicle registered in a state other than your primary residence state. However tax evasion is not one of those reasons. (I'm assuming you live & work fulltime in Maine)

Other than setting up a pretend business entity to own the vehicle in Montana or Delaware, which may or may not pass muster by your Maine tax auditors, the most common legal reason is having a vehicle primarily "garaged" at a 2nd home out of state. Thousands of NY'ers who own part time seasonal homes or condos in FL keep a FL registered vehicle in the garage of their seasonal FL home. Thousands of Texans who own part time homes in Colorado, keep a spare 4x4 vehicle in their Co home garage. etc
I have vehicles registered in 3 different states, since I keep spare vehicles at both my part time ranch in NM and my seasonal home in CO, as well as several vehicles & RV's at my primary home in SD.
If you prefer the northeast area, Vermont is fairly reasonable on vehicle taxes & fees. So go buy a 2nd home in Vermont and store your MH there if avoiding Maine excise taxes is a top priority. Or sell your home in Maine and move to Vermont. Or sell all your homes & property and become a fulltime RV'er with no fixed home, then you have some flexibility in selecting a new home state. Or get elected as Mayor of your town or Gov of Maine and change the tax policies.
Otherwise you're stuck with Maine taxes & fees, if you want to stay legal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwedgemaine View Post
Does anyone know if there are states ythat ou can register you Class A in without living their, that is reasonable cost wise ?
My town in Maine hits you with a very high Excise Tax every year plus a high Registration fee.
Jim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 08:18 AM   #11

Sorry Jim2 but that is simply not correct! No state can levy a tax, excise or otherwise, on a vehicle never in that state. That's why you can own a home in Florida and not pay tax on it in Main. Just never take that vehicle over the Main line!!!
Old 06-09-2016, 08:55 AM   #12

I agree, That's what I just said. not sure where you think I contradicted that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Sorry Jim2 but that is simply not correct! No state can levy a tax, excise or otherwise, on a vehicle never in that state. That's why you can own a home in Florida and not pay tax on it in Main. Just never take that vehicle over the Main line!!!
Jim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 09:29 AM   #13

Oops sorry Jim2 you are absolutely correct! I misread you post. Thanks for keeping me straight, no easy job for sure!
Old 06-09-2016, 11:36 AM   #14

I know that some have fits about trying to save money on tax situations. And I'm convinced they work for the IRS or are tax collectors!

When the states stop spending money on the sex life of a wasp I'll give more consideration to the tax they want on my Motorhome! Until then I'll go with a Montana LLC save almost $40,000.00 and smile as I keep my coach out of the state of craziness. And states, you know who you are!