Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-14-2012, 10:51 AM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I run Synthetic in my 8.1 Liter Chevy engine.

Have from time to time done a lot of research and though I can't post the dozens of links I've followed I can tell you I'm sold on it.

Wll likely put in a nice fresh batch in oh, about 11 days if the budget allows.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-14-2012, 11:40 AM   #16

iRV2 No Limits Club
I used synth in an Isuzu Rodeo. When I traded it in at 113,000 miles, the oil that was in it was still as clean looking as when it was put in at the previous oil change.

Old 07-14-2012, 11:58 AM   #17
szy

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
I used synth in an Isuzu Rodeo. When I traded it in at 113,000 miles, the oil that was in it was still as clean looking as when it was put in at the previous oil change.
Oil is supposed to collect and hold in suspension contaminants that naturally occur in an engine. That is why it has detergents and o0ther additives in it .

It is supposed to come out black and dirty

If it comes out clean it isn't doing its job .
szy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 12:03 PM   #18
szy

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
Actually it has done wonders on the engine, it runs cooler and maitains 55mph at a lower rpm, thus the engine is not working as hard to do the same job.
Oil will not make an engine run cooler

or at lower RPM

or work easy

at least not to any appreciable degree worth comment

You are paying for a feel good factor nothing else ( slick 50 users did this )

You are saying syn oil is slipperier than regular oil

it isn't never was " viscosity " is a thickness measurement that they all syn and conventional are rated for .

in fact most syn oil today is constructed from conventional oils base stock
Old 07-14-2012, 12:07 PM   #19
szy

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon Outlaw View Post
Synthetic oils can go longer intervals. More than makes up for the slightly higher price.
Yes they can if you want that oil in your engine a long time with all the contaminants and grime that it has collected from the combustion process to remain it it a long time .

Better to use a conventional oil and keep it clean and fresh from regular scheduled maintenance .

Price does not equate quality performance all the time under all circumstances
Slick 50 users were examples of this

YMMV
Old 07-14-2012, 12:11 PM   #20
szy

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I don't want anyone under my vehicle but me. When we started doing the "western thing" in 2007, I didn't want to have to change oil in the middle of my trip, so I switched over to synthetic.
Valid use and justification of a syn oil

Only one I have read so far .
Old 07-14-2012, 12:33 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by szy View Post
Oil will not make an engine run cooler
Not true. Synthetic oils often make air cooled engines run cooler and also provide more protection at higher temperatures. They can also make water cooled engines run cooler if the engine if the thermostat is wide open. Also makes race car engines cooler, run faster, last longer.

Quote:
in fact most syn oil today is constructed from conventional oils base stock
True. However, AMSOIL offers chemical synthetic oil, which is not just slightly modified conventional oil found in most synthetic oils.
Old 07-14-2012, 12:43 PM   #22

Quote:
Yes they can if you want that oil in your engine a long time with all the contaminants and grime that it has collected from the combustion process to remain it it a long time .
Very few contaminants in my oil even at 5 times the conventional change recommendation as verified by Used Oil Analysis. Better filters filter out more and smaller particles, better additive packages neutralize acids and oxidizers. Pure chemical base does not break down forming contaminants. Been proven for over 40 years now by AMSOIL and millions of customers.

Quote:
Better to use a conventional oil and keep it clean and fresh from regular scheduled maintenance .
Nope. My AMSOIL stays clean and fresh and with extended oil change intervals have saved me time and money on oil and filter changes and improved fuel economy. And much better for the environment using less resources and producing less waste.
Old 07-14-2012, 02:21 PM   #23
JC2

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Quote:

Price does not equate quality performance all the time under all circumstances
Slick 50 users were examples of this

YMMV
Exactly. You got my vote on this.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:19 PM   #24
szy

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Exclamation

Quote:
Not true. Synthetic oils often make air cooled engines run cooler and also provide more protection at higher temperatures. They can also make water cooled engines run cooler if the engine if the thermostat is wide open. Also makes race car engines cooler, run faster, last longer.
Post any valid link from anyone other than Amsoil that says they will do that and you will have educated me .

Also if a thermostat is stuck wide open the engine will be running as cool as it possible can .

And if stuck closed it will run so hot that even syn oil will not prevail if it isn't shut down so I guess I miss the point ???

I did find this article but it has nothing that substantiates the claim it just repeats it

Synthetic Oil Explained « « VW Parts and VW Tech from Aircooled.NetVW Parts and VW Tech from Aircooled.Net

Quote:
On average, when synthetic oil is run in an air-cooled VW engine, head temperatures stay the same, but engine oil temps reduce by anywhere from 10 to 15 degrees. This is in identical engines that have all the correct cooling tin in place, and are not suffering from overheating to begin with. Important note: Do not run synthetic to fix a hot running engine. Find the real reason it’s running hot, and fix it!

( he is a Amsoil guy also )

And like I said earlier , syn oil does not do anything to any appreciable degree

10 degrees in an engine is nothing , and if you are running HOT fix it don't think syn oil will fix it
Old 07-14-2012, 07:38 PM   #25

Shell Rotella Synthetic Blend for Diesels

Quote:
Post any valid link from anyone other than Amsoil that says they will do that and you will have educated me .

Also if a thermostat is stuck wide open the engine will be running as cool as it possible can .

And if stuck closed it will run so hot that even syn oil will not prevail if it isn't shut down so I guess I miss the point ???

I did find this article but it has nothing that substantiates the claim it just repeats it

Synthetic Oil Explained « « VW Parts and VW Tech from Aircooled.NetVW Parts and VW Tech from Aircooled.Net

Quote:
On average, when synthetic oil is run in an air-cooled VW engine, head temperatures stay the same, but engine oil temps reduce by anywhere from 10 to 15 degrees. This is in identical engines that have all the correct cooling tin in place, and are not suffering from overheating to begin with. Important note: Do not run synthetic to fix a hot running engine. Find the real reason it’s running hot, and fix it!

( he is a Amsoil guy also )

And like I said earlier , syn oil does not do anything to any appreciable degree

10 degrees in an engine is nothing , and if you are running HOT fix it don't think syn oil will fix it
Went in to Limp Mode with my 330 Cat with the middle RPMs not working. Found out that the injectors on this 3126 engine is managed by oil pressure. Cat dealer in Indiana,(half way thru trip) told me to go by 28 qts of Rotella Synthetic Blend and I bought a new oil filter and changed the oil. The Engine came back to life after driving it 2 miles and I have not had another oil related problem and just turned over 100,000 miles. Also mileage went up .10%. My experience . Change once per year or by 15,000miles (big Pan)
Old 07-14-2012, 08:51 PM   #26

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Oil is supposed to collect and hold in suspension contaminants that naturally occur in an engine. That is why it has detergents and o0ther additives in it .

It is supposed to come out black and dirty

If it comes out clean it isn't doing its job .
Actually, it means the engine isn't wearing much. Most of the contaminants picked up by engine oil comes from particulates from engine wear and blowby that is caused by increased clearances caused by engine wear. If there is little or no wear, then there will be little or no particulates from engine wear and blowby and the oil will appear clear, especially after being filtered. Acids from moisture condensation, etc. still will contaminate the oil, necessitating oil changes, but thoses acids rarely discolor the oil.
Old 07-14-2012, 09:10 PM   #27

Quote:

Quote:
Motorcycle - Royal Purple

"REDUCES HEAT
Improved combustion and reduced friction help to prevent overheating and to extend the life of the oil and the engine. In an independent test conducted on an American-made V-Twin motorcycle, engine temperatures were reduced 25˚F to 44˚F just by switching to Royal Purple. See graphics below:

THERMAL IMAGING RESULTS WITH FACTORY OIL THERMAL IMAGING RESULTS AFTER SWITCHING TO MAX-CYCLE®"
Old 07-15-2012, 12:17 AM   #28

Also, from Shell: Synthetic engine oil | Global "Why do synthetic oils perform so well?

Properties of synthetic oils Resulting benefits
Low overall viscosity and reduced friction in the fluid means superior flow properties.

This results in improved engine efficiency and fuel economy, and lower oil temperatures."

From http://www.lucasoil.com/products/dis...id=16&loc=show

"FULL SYNTHETIC MOTORCYCLE OILS
Synthetic SAE 5W-20
Formulated to lower engine temperatures and raise oil pressure, reduce noise and increase performance. Synthetic SAE 5W-20 Motorcycle Oil contains a high level of detergents and dispersants to resist sludge and varnish formation which offers maximum protection with minimum drag.
Synthetic SAE 5W-30
Formulated to lower engine temperatures and raise oil pressure, reduce noise and increase performance. Synthetic SAE 5W-30 Motorcycle Oil contains a high level of detergents and dispersants to resist sludge and varnish formation which offers maximum protection with minimum drag.

Synthetic SAE 20W-50
Proven to cool and quiet engines and gear boxes. Use in ALL air-cooled and water-cooled 4-stroke Engine, Primaries and Transmissions that call for SAE 20W-50 motor oil.

KEY BENEFITS
Lower oil temperatures"

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=15&pcid=1

"Improved protection at startup, lower oil temp, cleanliness"

https://utextension.tennessee.edu/pu...ts/sp268-Q.pdf

"Synthetic oils are slicker than petroleum oils,
which means less wear and tear, cooler engine
temperatures
and better performance."