Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-15-2012, 02:10 AM   #29

Bel-Ray EXS Synthetic Ester 4T Engine Oil | Bel-Ray Company, Inc :

"Bel-Ray EXS Synthetic Ester 4T Engine Oil
Bel-RayŽ EXS Full Synthetic Ester 4T Engine Oil is a premium motorcycle oil that uses the finest quality synthetic hydrocarbon and ester base fluids combined with unique Extreme Pressure, anti-wear additives and shear resistant VI improvers to meet the demands of high-performance applications. Lowers engine temperatures and increases horsepower."

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-15-2012, 06:49 AM   #30
szy

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Damon Outlaw View Post
Bel-Ray EXS Synthetic Ester 4T Engine Oil | Bel-Ray Company, Inc :

"Bel-Ray EXS Synthetic Ester 4T Engine Oil
Bel-RayŽ EXS Full Synthetic Ester 4T Engine Oil is a premium motorcycle oil that uses the finest quality synthetic hydrocarbon and ester base fluids combined with unique Extreme Pressure, anti-wear additives and shear resistant VI improvers to meet the demands of high-performance applications. Lowers engine temperatures and increases horsepower."
Please

Slick 50 said the same stuff

I meant a link from a lab that was certified

But whatever , do what makes you feel good

I know I will

Stay safe see you on the trail

szy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 10:49 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by szy View Post

Where does Slick 50 say they are a stand alone motor oil that lowers engine temperature?

http://www.meiertransmission.com/man...ers/belray.htm

"In the laboratories at BEL-RAY Company's Corporate Headquarters in Farmingdale, New Jersey, BEL-RAY responds to the challenge of maintaining its position of world leadership. Perfected formulas are manufactured by BEL-RAY's ISO 9001 certified plant in Farmingdale, New Jersey"

Shell's labs are certified.

from Shell: Synthetic engine oil | Global "Why do synthetic oils perform so well?

Properties of synthetic oils Resulting benefits
Low overall viscosity and reduced friction in the fluid means superior flow properties.

This results in improved engine efficiency and fuel economy, and lower oil temperatures."
Old 07-15-2012, 11:48 AM   #32

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Please

But whatever , do what makes you feel good

I know I will

Stay safe see you on the trail
There's always a scoffer.
Old 07-15-2012, 10:41 PM   #33

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
I don't think it's kosher to use statements by a vendor ALONE to back up claims made by said vendor in re: the performance of their product, whether it's engine oil or tomato ketchup. Shell, Amsoil, RP, or Heinz, you can not go by their marketing material alone. Nor can you go by references in their marketing material to 3rd party 'tests' or whatever. Ever hear of a 'testing laboratory' that just happened to be OWNED by a product vendor? Happens all the time.

Show me tests by UL or some other completely independent lab that has no vested interest in the outcome, and I'll tend to believe that more than some marketing blurb in a car magazine.
Old 07-15-2012, 11:38 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperGewl View Post
Actually it has done wonders on the engine, it runs cooler and maitains 55mph at a lower rpm, thus the engine is not working as hard to do the same job.
Am I wrong in understanding that once the torque converter in the tranny locks up (mine does it at about 45 MPH) the engine will be running at the same RPM regardless of how hard it is pulling? If I maintain 60 MPH the tach will show about 1,800 RPM whether going uphill, downhill, or on level ground as long as the torque converter stays locked up.

Wagonmaster2
Old 07-16-2012, 08:07 PM   #35
szy

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JiminJersey View Post
I don't think it's kosher to use statements by a vendor ALONE to back up claims made by said vendor in re: the performance of their product, whether it's engine oil or tomato ketchup. Shell, Amsoil, RP, or Heinz, you can not go by their marketing material alone. Nor can you go by references in their marketing material to 3rd party 'tests' or whatever. Ever hear of a 'testing laboratory' that just happened to be OWNED by a product vendor? Happens all the time.

Show me tests by UL or some other completely independent lab that has no vested interest in the outcome, and I'll tend to believe that more than some marketing blurb in a car magazine.
Exactly
Old 07-16-2012, 08:19 PM   #36
szy

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Exclamation - the synthtic oil fan club

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyFitz... View Post
There's always a scoffer.
Not at all .

I take preventative maintenance seriously , always have.

As part of that I do the research to find out what is the best product for the application at hand .

Paying more money does not mean better product "all the time" , hence I studied at length oil and its properties .

People think synthetic oil is some magical elixir that is a cure all for an engine that will make it last forever .

Synthetic oil has more myths associated with it than bigfoot

Most people just don't know that syn oil is made from regular crude oil base stocks, today a true syn oil is rare . It all goes back to Castroil oil Co. claiming its oil was a full synthetic oil and Mobil Oil suing them about their claim and losing . They all then saw a cheap way to claim their oil was a full synthetic oil while using crude oil to manufacture it and then still claim it was a full synthetic oil .

Not scoffing just passing on the information .
Old 07-16-2012, 08:28 PM   #37
szy

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Exclamation for your edification

A short read

Synthetic has changed in recent years. A little history first....
In the days non synthetic oils were group 1 and group 2 base stocks. These are crude oils and polyphenins. Synthetic was as it was stated group 4 and group 5 base stocks which are PAO and POA esters (man made extreme quality esters which mimic esters once used from whale fat).
Then came the big Mobil 1 vs Castrol lawsuit. Mobil 1 contended that Castrol was using false advertising. Castrol had changed there formulation on there Full Synthetic oil. It NO longer was made from group 4 synthetic base stocks but was indeed made from group 3 base stock which is a conventional crude base stock, then severely hydro cracked and refined. group 3 is much higher quality than group 2 oils. Well it made it all the way to the supreme court were they ruled that oils made with group 3 base stocks are indeed synthetic because of the extreme amount of refinement, it isn't anything naturally occurring anymore. So Castrol was allowed to continue marketing the oil as fully synthetic. After this lawsuit a precedence was set for the definition of synthetic oil, one by one manufacturers started reformulating their synthetic motor oils from group 4's to group 3's , since group 3 is much cheaper to use.
This brings us to today most so called synthetics are just dino oil (conventional). Dont get me wrong the group 3 is far superior to group 2 it has much better flow characteristics in the cold and better resistance to heat. But you still are only using a conventional crude oil that is ultra refined.

and folks the fat lady has sung ..............
Old 07-17-2012, 11:17 AM   #38

The fat lady didn't sing, sounded more like gas...

Do a little more "research". There was no lawsuit...and like you mentioned, synthetic base oils are indeed superior to conventional and that is why they are factory fill in high performance engines, run cooler, and use longer oil change intervals.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:30 AM   #39

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:

in fact most syn oil today is constructed from conventional oils base stock
True, and you have Castrol to thank for that. Mobil sued them for not being a 'true' synthetic, and lost. NAD said that even though they were not a 'true' synthetic, it was close enough for marketing purposes (paraphrase).. Thats when most companies switched base stocks back..
Old 07-17-2012, 11:41 AM   #40

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I see you already posted the same info..

However, being 'hydro-cracked' does, indeed, make the 'synthetics' much better than 'conventional' and for the reasons sited in your post..
Old 07-17-2012, 11:43 AM   #41

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
There was not and never has been any suit AT LAW regarding the use of the term "synthetic" for Group III base oil, and no court or ALJ has made a ruling on this matter. Mobil simply filed a complaint with the National Advertising Division of the Better Business Bureau in the US claiming that Castrol was engaging in false advertising by calling Syntec "full synthetic" since it was now being made with Group III base oil. Castrol was able to present enough "evidence" to convince the NAD that Group III base oil could legitimately be called synthetic, so they rulled in Castrol's favor. This ruling has no "legal" standing. It merely means that as far as the NAD is concerned, an oil company is not falsely advertising an oil as "full synthetic" if that oil is made from Group III base oil.

The NAD is merely a self-regulatory arm of the BBB and has no legal standing whatsoever in the U.S. Hence, their ruling in this matter does not make it "legal" to claim that a Group III oil is "synthetic." It merely means that for any entity willing to abide by the NAD's guidelines, a Group III oil can be ADVERTISED under those guidelines as a synthetic.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:17 PM   #42

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
Am I wrong in understanding that once the torque converter in the tranny locks up (mine does it at about 45 MPH) the engine will be running at the same RPM regardless of how hard it is pulling? If I maintain 60 MPH the tach will show about 1,800 RPM whether going uphill, downhill, or on level ground as long as the torque converter stays locked up.

Wagonmaster2
Another non believer, I see. If you want proof then do it yourself. Take whatever vehichle you want find someplace level that you can set the cruize at whatever speed for let's say 1 to 2 miles and watch the tach and record the RPM's. Now take that some vehichle and replace the oil and filter with a good grade of 100% synthetic oil and run it for a few 100 miles and then take it to the same place you ran ealrier and perform the same test. You will notice a drop in RPMs at the same speed because the engine does not have to work as hard due to friction being less between those moving parts.
Let's see that is part of the reason for putting your oil in the engine anyway. But by using a better grade of lubricant the friction will be less, thus a lower RPM at the same speed.