Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2013, 08:25 PM   #15

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As for doing it right the first time..... A motor home is a very complex composit of many things made in many places. At least 2 parts in my RV were made in Korea for example (One was re-designed by me and repaired and the other scrapped) LG products do not work in my experience).

The odds of something going wrong shortly after delivery.. VERY HIGH.

What bothers me is when there is evidence the factory knew BEFORE shipment what was wrong. But shipped anyway.,

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-23-2013, 07:12 AM   #16

Thinking that you wouldn't take your car back to the factory but to the dealer. Unless there is something in the warranty that says YOU have to deliver it to the factory, drop it at the dealer and let them and the manufacturer figure it out.
I bought 14 years old so I don't have to worry about this issue. :-)

Old 01-23-2013, 07:22 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
As for doing it right the first time..... A motor home is a very complex composit of many things made in many places. At least 2 parts in my RV were made in Korea for example (One was re-designed by me and repaired and the other scrapped) LG products do not work in my experience).

The odds of something going wrong shortly after delivery.. VERY HIGH.

What bothers me is when there is evidence the factory knew BEFORE shipment what was wrong. But shipped anyway.,
This is the biggest issue that I see is that a rig leaves the factory with defects that were known before it ever left for the dealers. The dealer, in turn, does a half way PDI and it's up to the consumer to find out what is wrong. There are certain brands that seem to almost require you to go back to the factory, almost like it's a pilgrimage to Mecca. I see the posts of those folks who are driving hundreds and even thousands of miles and then spending weeks at the factory for the problems they are having. If the manufacturer had to cough up the dollars spent by the consumer to get the unit back to the factory then I think there would be a different attitude before the rig left the manufacturer.
Old 01-23-2013, 07:38 AM   #18

If you are buying new, get it in writing that all the associated costs will be paid by them.
Think ahead of the problem.
Old 01-23-2013, 08:00 AM   #19

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Solving a situation like this depends on the company, the issues, any efforts made to have them corrected, in warranty/out of warranty and others. I had a problem with my American Coach and it was out of warranty. I called them and they said bring it to the factory...I did and they not only fixed my problem but another issue they noticed that I had not mentioned. It took them two weeks. All without charge and they reimbursed me fuel costs for nearly 1,550 miles.

First class treatment from a first class company.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 08:47 PM   #20

I knew I liked you wincrasher !
Old 01-23-2013, 11:26 PM   #21

In '97 or '98 I had to take my new Fleetwood back to the factory (1,400 mile round trip) for a repair the dealer couldn't handle and Fleetwood paid all travel expenses plus putting us up in a motel for 7-8 days. In 2004 I had to take my Itasca back to the factory (little over 1,500 mile round trip) because my dealer had sold out of business and when I questioned any reimbursement from the factory they all but laughed out loud at me. Guess it all depends on how much customer service the factory wants to extend and how much they want to keep a person as a future customer.
Why should they bother to extend any extra effort for quality control when we'all are beating a path to their doors to buy whatever comes out.
Old 01-23-2013, 11:35 PM   #22

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
I am far from "liberal" and I believe RV manufacturers get away with far too much on factory defects. When the Fan Clutch Assembly (FCA) came apart on my MH I lost 12 days of a trip and about $1500 in other expenses. The FCA was recalled on all chassis like mine so it was a factory defect. Why should I have to be out of pocket $1500 and lose 12 days of my trip without compensation?
Maybe because the warranty was written that way and you agreed to it when you bought the rig?
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 11:38 PM   #23

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
Yep, sort of.

WA state law requires the manufacturer of a vehicle to pay for all costs associated with warranty work if the vehicle has to be taken more than 100 miles to have the work done. The Spartan factory is about 2,200 miles one way. Newmar paid my fuel expenses both way, but nothing more and I had to drive it. Was gone about a month between the drive both ways and the shop time at both Spartan and Newmar.
Guess I should add: Newmar also put me into a bed and breakfast when Spartan had to keep the rig for a few days, at no cost to me.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:48 AM   #24

It sounds like Newmar and American Coach are the only two companies that stand behind what they build to the extent of reimbursing the customer for costs incurred. It's nice to hear that at least two companies are willing to cover those costs that a customer would otherwise have to cover.
Old 01-24-2013, 12:42 PM   #25

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman
Okay, so let's say you recently purchased a new RV. You have a pretty extensive punch list of items that need to be fixed, some minor and some major. The factory says to bring the unit to them and they will fix it. So you go off to the factory for a week or more for them to fix what never should have left the factory. Have you ever gone back to the manufacturer and asked for reimbursement for your costs incurred? What was their reaction?

Please let's not get into the new/used discussion, but for those who have bought new, how did the request for reimbursement go, if you made one?
In our case, we planned our return trip to the factory for warranty work purposely. For us, our trip for warranty work was part of a much longer trip and we enjoyed our week stay at the factory with free full hookups. We had a punch list of about 10 items, and only one item was an issue that was caught by the Newmar QC but not fixed prior to departing the factory and I agree they should have taken care of it prior to delivery. The other issues where mostly items that needed adjustment or where items that probably worked at the factory but after 8 months and 7000 miles of bumpy north east highways needed attention. Not only did they take care of the items on my list, but they did find several other items that required attention and took the initiative to fix them. While at the factory, Newmar made me a deal on installing a new Splendid Washer/Dryer that made me very happy ( we did not order the coach with a washer dryer but later wish we had). After a nice experience with factory service with Newmar, I decided to take the coach to the Freightliner factory service to have a cooling system issue resolved. It took 5000 miles to uncover a fan drive issue that I believe could have been caught by the component supplier's QA. I was pleasantly surprised while at FCCC factory service center they performed the initial chassis service on their nickel, as well as checked my alignment and re balanced all 6 wheels. For me and in both cases, I received more benefit than costs, clearly a win win for me and the factory service centers.

Mike
2012 Jeep Liberty Limited
MJFZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 07:27 PM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I will throw my experience into the fray. I have a FW Discovery that has had numerous problems with the full wall slide. Ultimately I made several trips back to the factory. On the third trip for the same issue, they covered my fuel and tolls round trip 1500 miles round trip. Thankfully they seem to have finally fixed the issue. The factory rep pointed out that their warranty expressly states that costs associated with bringing the unit for repairs are not covered, but as a good will gesture they offered to cover my expenses. As well they have repaired many items that were no longer under the warranty period. All in all I can't complain one bit as they have gone above and beyond. I just wish some of the issues were discovered before the unit left the factory, as there is no way some of the problems wouldn't have been found if they even tried them, like a generator that would never start because the vent was hooked to the fuel supply, and a fuel supply that was hooked to the vent, an air conditioner that was never hooked to 120 v and so on.