Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2013, 06:50 AM   #1

Reimbursement for costs

Okay, so let's say you recently purchased a new RV. You have a pretty extensive punch list of items that need to be fixed, some minor and some major. The factory says to bring the unit to them and they will fix it. So you go off to the factory for a week or more for them to fix what never should have left the factory. Have you ever gone back to the manufacturer and asked for reimbursement for your costs incurred? What was their reaction?

Please let's not get into the new/used discussion, but for those who have bought new, how did the request for reimbursement go, if you made one?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2013, 07:44 AM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
They fixed everything. That's it, no fuel monies, food etc!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clayobx
They fixed everything. That's it, no fuel monies, food etc!
I think you will find this to be pretty universal. Most will have full hook ups available and will work on the coach during the day and you can use it at night. Of course this would not apply with some repairs.
Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:44 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Hi wnytaxman,
The only time I've heard of the manufacturer paying for incidental costs of the owner is when a legal requirement is imposed or there is a severe liability issue. It matters not, from the million plus coaches to the least expensive, the owner pays for incidental expenses.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:54 AM   #5

I wonder if enough of us made a big enough fuss over this issue if the manufacturers would start to pay more attention to the quality control issues. It really is sad when someone has just shelled out hundreds of thousands of dollars for a coach that has issues that never should have left the factory or even the design table that way. I know there are those owners who would take advantage of the situation, but it is really annoying that the builders of these beasts can't or won't take more care in how they go out the door.
Old 01-22-2013, 09:11 AM   #6

I believe when Mr.D had his front axle replaced, Newmar reimbursed all his expenses.

He should be a long soon to tell what happened.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:22 AM   #7

So the thought is that anything that is an inconvenience, should be covered by someone other than the inconvenienceeeeeee.

When getting work done on the car, rental fees (if any) are a right. If you need to have your home tented, Hotel costs are a right. If, If, If, If, If.

Seems to be part of the WAM (what about me) thought process to me. Stuff happens, It's part of life. If it's not an intentional incident, get over it IMHO.

Liberals, and non liberals may differ on this of course, and I do not say this from a political standpoint.

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-Sommers View Post
So the thought is that anything that is an inconvenience, should be covered by someone other than the inconvenienceeeeeee.

When getting work done on the car, rental fees (if any) are a right. If you need to have your home tented, Hotel costs are a right. If, If, If, If, If.

Seems to be part of the WAM (what about me) thought process to me. Stuff happens, It's part of life. If it's not an intentional incident, get over it IMHO.

Liberals, and non liberals may differ on this of course, and I do not say this from a political standpoint.

Ed
From one Ed to another, you're missing my point. If I have just dropped the better part of several hundred thousand dollars on a new RV, should I expect to have to incur more costs because the vendor couldn't bother to do his job. Would you purchase a car that would not run and then absorb the costs to have the car towed? I don't think that would be acceptable to anyone. A new house with a leaky roof would never be acceptable and the buyer should not have to incur more costs to repair that roof.

The point is quite simply, the purchaser purchased something that did not work the way it was intended and the purchaser should not be expected to absorb more costs. My gripe with the RV manufacturer is that they will produce a product that is unacceptable and expect the buyer to incur more costs without any repercussions to the manufacturer.

I hear the argument that these are very complex machines and we should expect problems. That is a point I would agree with somewhere after the first few months of ownership. The unit should not be only partially functioning right out of the box.

Just to clarify, I'm not referring to my own rig, but the industry in general. Should someone who lives clear across the country absorb costs to get to the factory for problems that occurred in manufacturing? What we are talking about here is not whining "what about me" but rather a manufacturer (any manufacturer) accepting their responsibility for a product.

Ed
Old 01-22-2013, 11:38 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDR John View Post
I believe when Mr.D had his front axle replaced, Newmar reimbursed all his expenses.

He should be a long soon to tell what happened.
Yep, sort of.

WA state law requires the manufacturer of a vehicle to pay for all costs associated with warranty work if the vehicle has to be taken more than 100 miles to have the work done. The Spartan factory is about 2,200 miles one way. Newmar paid my fuel expenses both way, but nothing more and I had to drive it. Was gone about a month between the drive both ways and the shop time at both Spartan and Newmar.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnytaxman
I wonder if enough of us made a big enough fuss over this issue if the manufacturers would start to pay more attention to the quality control issues.
STOP....please .....my stomach is hurting from laughing!

This is the entire New vrs. Used argument in a nutshell. You can go the "Burger King" route & have the New MH...."your way".....but spend the first year having warrenty work done & taking the massive depreciation hit....or.....you can purchase a lightly Used unit ( with some compromises) that someone else has worked-out the bugs & depreciated for you.
Jack1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 11:55 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I am far from "liberal" and I believe RV manufacturers get away with far too much on factory defects. When the Fan Clutch Assembly (FCA) came apart on my MH I lost 12 days of a trip and about $1500 in other expenses. The FCA was recalled on all chassis like mine so it was a factory defect. Why should I have to be out of pocket $1500 and lose 12 days of my trip without compensation?

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 12:02 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
When we had to take our new coach back for repairs of factory defect issues, the DEALER, located 200 miles away, provided us with the option of staying on their lot, and in addition, gave us a full tank of fuel and propane to cover our travels. Repairs were done to our complete satisfaction. LaMesa RV, Albuquerque, NM.
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 03:22 PM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
A lot depends on conditions.. For example when I made my return to the factory the first time it was 30 miles and we spent the 3 days visiting friends in the area... So the additional cost to us was not worth invoicing.

But if you are planing on getting paid meals, miles and lodging, Forget it, they could send a porter to your house for less.. You should get exactly what they'd spend on said porter.. Spend it as you wish.

My 2nd factory visit (Which lasted about 10 minutes) was less than a mile out of my way. Picked up a part, they installed it (I was planing on doing that) which as far as I'm concerned was more than compensation enough.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:38 PM   #14

Wow. Never thought the idea of someone standing behind their work, and doing a job right the first time were liberal ideas, but I'll gladly add them to the list!

Hmm, think I'll put those between "freedom from oppression" and "equal opportunity for everyone."
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote