Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-09-2018, 04:16 PM   #1

Reliable RV Warranty Plans

Getting ready to purchase a used Tiffin Phaeton and plan on keeping it for awhile it is a 2008! Yes, right when the manufacturer's warranty runs out but we're not loaded and this unit is sweet and looks brand new to me! I have heard not so good results with the Good Sams RV Insurance but heard of another one that was very reliable unfortunately didn't write it down and well...........can't recall the name. Any recommendations we want to be able to take it whereever we want to service and do repairs
Kraze4Kampn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-09-2018, 04:31 PM   #2

Welcome to the forum!

Here is a link to more than 2800 previous threads about your question.

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22e...=13&gws_rd=ssl

Take 5 from the last three months and you will have your answers.
To refer to this product as "insurance" or an "extended warranty" is a misnomer. It is a service contract, written by them with steep stipulations and exclusions that they know and unless you are very adept at contract law you will not, at least for the first few encounters. Also, many shops will put your service towards the back of the line knowing how tedious it is dealing with them and how slow they may be about paying. There are also threads about a wiring issue causing a fire, but they pay for the wire and not the damage, or a water line and not the damage from the leak. Many will advocate for either creating a savings fund, or having access to credit for the repairs.
Old 06-10-2018, 02:05 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

I've never been a fan of extended warranties. I would see what the cost would be, then put that same amount in a special bank account to be used only for RV repairs. I think that in most cases you will come out way ahead! JMHO

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:16 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Good Sam is garbage! They will find a reason to not pay. All work must be documented, with receipts, by an authorized service center, within recommended time limits. If you plan to perform any maintenance, oil changes, coolant services, or anything else, you will void their warranty requirements. Save the $1k + a year for a pusher in a rainy day account.
Old 06-13-2018, 04:33 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Just so you are aware the 10 year Tiffin warranty was on the house construction framing, five year for side wall lamination and 1 year for anything else. There were probably a couple of manufacturer's warranties that went out to two years but more or less the coach has been out of warranty for quite a while.

As ThePowells described there could be be strict requirements that you will need to follow concerning routine maintenance documentation and the specific steps you must take regarding filing a claim and getting authorization for service before starting any work. You will also find that the older the coach the higher the cost.

Myself, I prefer to self insure but I do have a fairly simple low cost coach. The engine and transmission are probably the highest cost items (just like your Phaeton) but the next item on the cost list might be a roof A/C coming in at maybe $700. I could easily pay for a replacement from my RV budget and install myself saving the labor cost.

Opinions will pretty much be at either end of the spectrum with some owners not leaving the driveway without coverage while others think the service is only out to separate you from your savings. Good luck and enjoy the new to you Phaeton.
Old 06-13-2018, 06:36 AM   #6

Do yourself a favor and price out the different Extended Service Contracts. Then average the cost of them and put that money into a slush fund for future use. The odds are in your favor that you will come out ahead. If you buy an ESC, the odds are then in their favor that they will come out ahead. They know the odds and they write the rules and they will happily take your money.
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:11 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

All good advice above.

Most of the major "extended warranty" service contracts are "reliable" in the sense that they do what the contract says, but none of them cover everything and none are remotely like the original factory warranty. There are prerequisites and requirements you must strictly adhere to, and there are numerous exceptions that leave many RV owners baffled.

The manufacturer's warranty ran out on that coach long ago - Tiffin only has a 12 month bumper-to-bumper warranty. Some components, e.g. the engine and transmission had 5 years and there was a very limited structural warranty of 10 years, but that too is no more.

You should also expect that an extended warranty on a ten year old diesel coach is going to be very expensive.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:10 AM   #8
YC1

Welcome to the forum:

My advice to any RV owner or potential owner is to be handy with tools, a voltmeter, and a check book.

You will find issues more often than not. These things live on a fault line and are just a group of parts supplied by many different vendors. The odds of them all working at the same time for just one weekend is low.
Most issues can be resolved here on the forum. You will spend more time in the shop than enjoying it if you cannot sort things out yourself. The maintenance and problem solving becomes a hobby by itself.
The more you understand your RV the easier it will be on your nerves. I’m not trying to throw a wet blanket on your plans, just telling you the reality.
Put $100 a month into an account as suggested. If a problem pops up you can take it wherever you want without much stress. Tires, batteries and maintenance are never covered.
My Platinum plan did not cover my DPF (diesel particulate filter) when it failed at 30K miles. Five thousand dollars and three days at a Cummins shop was not fun. The fine print said emission systems were not covered.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 10:22 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Give Wholesale Warranties a call. I have a Portfolio policy thru them that has been excellent. A policy on a 10 year old RV may be very expensive.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 06:39 PM   #10
YC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
Give Wholesale Warranties a call. I have a Portfolio policy thru them that has been excellent. A policy on a 10 year old RV may be very expensive.
That is the one that left me hanging. They had good ratings via this forum when I bought mine but they were not there when I really needed them.

My advice stands. Put money in a separate account.

YC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 01:56 PM   #11

Entegra Owners Club
We've had three coaches, all with extended warranties and for tow of them we got our investment back. Currently we have Compass, who has replaced our #1 rooftop a/c, motherboard on the AquaHot, Cat 5 ends and thermostat and a new residential fridge. $100/month won't cover expenses like that. Imagine if you loose an engine or trans!
GRedman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
warranty