Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2015, 10:01 AM   #15

maytag

as a retired maytag man it was true on the old stuff but not on the new appliances since they were bought out pk42
pk42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2015, 12:24 PM   #16

.... and the check is in the mail.
Redridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 01:01 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeachDude View Post
Kinda funny! I was into quality management and a LeanSigma Master Blackbelt at Maytag.

I was on a group that voted for the actor Hardy Rawls to replace Gordon Jump, (who had replaced Jesse White), as the Maytag Repairman in 2003. I met Hardy and Gordon at the trade shows while I worked there. The other companies had women in bikinis handing out grilled food samples, we had a middle aged actor in a uniform handing out a brochure, (or taking pictures and signing autographs)!

The entire company was acquired by Whirlpool, and then Harry was replaced by Clay Earl Jackson in 2007, and most recently by Colin Ferguson in 2014, the current Maytag Repairman.
Interesting!
Falcon190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2015, 06:17 PM   #18

American Coach Owners Club
I can identify with Gary on this one. We had the least expensive basic Maytag washer and dryer for 26 years without the first issue. My wife decided she just had to have new ones with "stuff" on it. That second set of Maytag's should have come with it's own repairman. We got so disgusted with them after 5 years sold them and went with Whirlpool and ended up with more issues than with Maytag. Now 5 years on Kenmore but holding our breath as they are made out of cheap plastics, and even cheaper looking electronics.
Old 03-15-2015, 11:26 PM   #19

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It wouldn't be as much fun if nothing ever broke or came out of adjustment." Said the gear head lol. I love to diagnose and wrench on mine but I am finding out that my body doesn't care for Motorhome nor boat aerobics anymore.
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 06:57 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Be aware that Whirlpool owns Maytag and also builds the washers for Sears Kenmore brand. Mostly the same parts in all of them. GE is the other major US manufacturer of washer/dryers and they make nearly all the brand names that Whirlpool does not.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:47 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
We have a new Maytag washer and believe me, that repair guy is NOT sitting around with nothing to do. The current generation of "smart" and "eco-friendly" washers are nothing like the old Maytags. Five years ago we gave our 15 year old Whirlpool to our daughter and bought a new Whirlpool. After 4 failures in 3 years, we sold it and bought a top end Maytag. It's broken down twice so far. Meanwhile the 20 year old washer at our daughter's place is still washing clothes just fine. Wish we could take it back!
So true, my brothers refrigerator defrost quit working and I was going to repair it for him. Seeing a late model reefer at an esate sale, I purchased the unit for $50.00. Nobody probably wanted to buy it because of its location in an apartment building.
My older brother inherited our parents house and his Kenmore reefer was the one they purchased in 1967 and had never been repaired. Now just the defrost element needed to be replaced or its controller repaired. Fans commonly go out in the new reefers and I noted the fan in his '67 model. Still the original and spinning after 47 years of use.
We put the old fridge in his driveway for me to take home and repair. Unfortunately the garbage collectors picked it up and hauled it off. We did not put a sign on it stating it was to be recycled, they just assumed. Too bad it was in great condition.
I love old stuff.
Kevin

P.S.
A friend bought a new washer and dryer and asked if we wanted their old Maytags. Our washer needed a new water level switch so we took them up on the free appliances. Have been using them for 10 years without an issue.
Steady_Rest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 12:06 PM   #22

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by okgc View Post
.... sit in one place all the time and only be used for a few min once a week.
"...only be used for a few min once a week...."

Wow! I guess you didn't have kids.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 12:17 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z06 View Post
Our 28 year old Maytag washer and dryer are still going strong with never a repair needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
We have a new Maytag washer and believe me, that repair guy is NOT sitting around with nothing to do.
1992: bought a house outside Boston and a new Kenmore laundry set.
2007: sold the house, including Kenmores, running fine. Maint cost: $20... replaced feed hoses 1997.
2007: moved to Raleigh, bought new Maytag frontloaders.
2012: sold the house, sold the Maytags. Maint cost: $0

Just lucky, I guess.
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote