Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-17-2011, 05:19 PM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by C-PHartley View Post
I have Pergo Laminate currently and am thinking seriously of putting down Allure vinyl floor. My Laminate floor is showing wear from the slide operation as well as some separation around the joints. I like the vinyl because it is very easy to clean and not subject to water damage. My only concern is the slide rollers might damage the vinyl. Any feedback from some allure owners would be appreciated.
I don't recommend the Allure. I put it in my coach. I love the look, and did from drviers area to back bedroom in it. The issue is that it expands and contracts A LOT. So your seams tend to grow and shrink quite a bit. I would go with laminate wood if i was to do it over again.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2011, 01:34 AM   #16

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by olywrestle View Post
I don't recommend the Allure. I put it in my coach. I love the look, and did from drviers area to back bedroom in it. The issue is that it expands and contracts A LOT. So your seams tend to grow and shrink quite a bit. I would go with laminate wood if i was to do it over again.
I've had Wilson Art in the MH, it didn't last. I've had Pergo in the stick house, it isn't lasting either.
We have vinyl tile in the MH, it IS lasting and looks very close to real tile as I stated earlier

Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 11:13 AM   #17

I also wonder why they put light color carpet in MH especially at the entrance. My Southwind has per go type laminate through the kitchen area to the bedroom but carpet from the entry door forward and you can't keep it clean. We have tried runner type rugs and they will not stay flat. I even bought a piece of real heavy commercial carpet, cut to fit around chairs and stuff, then had it bound on the edges. No way it would creep and bunch, guess what, bunched up and since it is so stiff, now it will not lay flat! I have considered ceramic or porcelain tile but IMHO the floor is just not rigid enough to keep it from cracking, especially in a gasser, maybe in a high end DP that had it's frame designed for it. NAFCO makes vinyl tile that looks exactly like ceramic with faux grout lines that you almost have to touch to tell the difference but I'm not sure how it would handle the slides, probably would mark over time. Next MH will not have carpet! I think buying a RV is like what my dad said about houses, you have to build or buy three to figure out exactly what you want or need!
Old 08-19-2011, 11:28 AM   #18

We have light coloured carpet and ceramic tiles in our 1999 Gulf Stream and are finding it difficult to keep the carpet clean when out 'camping' with the grand kids. The ceramic tiles were cracked and chipped by the previous owner. It was explained to us this way. If you have ceramic tiles you can never match the out-of- production tiles when one or two get cracked/chipped -and they are heavy. Wood or wood laminate floors cannot tolerate water and are easily damaged by abrasion. The suggestion was to use the best looking, cheapest, snap-together floating vinyl tile. It can look really good, tolerates water well, is inexpensive to replace when the need arrives down the road. And vinyl weighs very little when compared to wood or ceramic.
Old 08-19-2011, 12:33 PM   #19

Well, there is certainly no lack of opinion on coach flooring. Earlier I mentioned that we replaced our ceramic tile with Wilson Art engineered tiles. Someone immediately was critical and cited their spilled pet dish water as proof that it was a poor choice. Of course, water is not RV friendly, it can impact our rigs in many ways. First of all, I'll explain the problems we had with tile ... several had cracked, and we were always needing to redo the grout. The tile was good quality, but the installation over the wood sub-floor was less than ideal. At one point we had a small leak under the shower, and water seeped under the tile, the sub-floor began to swell ... you can imagine the rest of that story.

Naturally, water that is allowed to stand on wood, tile, or an engineered product will create a problem. We have had the Wilson Art flooring for over a year, and it looks as great as the day of installation. There are no marks or wear from the slide outs. For us, it has worked very well ... we would do it again in a heart beat. Wish the coach came from the factory with this flooring.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0004.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	311.5 KB
ID:	13074  
Old 08-19-2011, 04:10 PM   #20

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wmdunn View Post
Well, there is certainly no lack of opinion on coach flooring. Earlier I mentioned that we replaced our ceramic tile with Wilson Art engineered tiles. Someone immediately was critical and cited their spilled pet dish water as proof that it was a poor choice.
According to their website they are no longer in business.
Wilsonart Flooring
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 04:10 PM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
We have just finished installing Allure vinyl planking, supposed to be waterproof, was easy and looks great. We ran it thru the living room, kitchen, hall and bath. I bought a 3' wide carpet runner at Menards the length of the slide to protect the floor when slide is brought in. Works wonderful, slide comes right in on top of runner, no bunching at all.
Old 08-20-2011, 07:32 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by andy5010 View Post
I am getting ready to remodel coach and have a question of preference on wood floors or tile. Asking for pros and cons on Wood floors vs tile.
Quote:
Originally Posted by calico View Post
We have just finished installing Allure vinyl planking, supposed to be waterproof, was easy and looks great. We ran it thru the living room, kitchen, hall and bath. I bought a 3' wide carpet runner at Menards the length of the slide to protect the floor when slide is brought in. Works wonderful, slide comes right in on top of runner, no bunching at all.
I too would say the Allure is 'waterproof' because it is vinyl. A simple pretest would be to buy a small piece and put it in a bucket of water for a week if it doesn't fall apart, bubble, peel, discolor etc. it's waterproof. Here is a link to a guy that put it down and how he did it with pics. Start on page #8 unless you want to see the whole restoration project. Good luck and have fun.
RV.Net Open Roads Forum: The old girl is back - where to start
Old 08-20-2011, 08:26 AM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Removing the carpet and installing something else is on our list but not this year. I to wonder why the light color carpet. No problem for us, just kick off the flip flops at the door (MH is to keep us somewhere that is all you need) but we can't the two dogs to wipe their paws.

There is real tile in the galley and bath area that, knock wood, has been no problem. Freightliner chassis with air ride may have helped that. The carpet is sculptured light tan and starting to show wear. Shampooing it helps so we are hoping to get one more winter out of it and replace with maybe Allure. I watched a YouTube video about installing it and it looks easy to do and good looking.

One question I have is how do you handle a slide if like ours it is a "flat floor"? The driver side large slide drops down when extended to make the floor flat. I haven't looked closely enough to see how it runs in and out but it did make a small tear in the carpet on one end. Also where it mates with the floor how would you handle the laminate?

Second the tile at the edge going into the galley is rounded. Is there some kind of flexible edging for this type of flooring?
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2011, 03:33 PM   #24

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Our slide is flat also, I removed the carpet except for two inches where it seemed to disappear under the slide. I ran the Allure right up to the cut carpet, air stapled both carpet and Allure. The raw edges and staples are both covered by the slide flap. We did not take the carpet off the slide.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:58 AM   #25

What to put on the floor???

9 months ago we researched this by looking at many used motorhomes to see what held up best and how it looked. We decided on viynl tile squares that look like ceramic; no cracks, waterproof, easy to clean. Our coach came with real wood flooring in the galley area and it was badly waterstained and uneven, with worn out carpet everywhere else. Most of the high end coaches today use some form of tile; some grouted some not. We did not grout ours but installed it on a 90 degree angle for a better look.If your slide out has been scratching your old floor you better adjust it before the new floor is installed. We put new stainmaster carpet in the slide out and bedroom. 8000 miles later it still looks new.

Most of this is personal opinion and taste so there is more than one correct answer to the right flooring. DACOTAH
Old 08-21-2011, 10:54 AM   #26

Fleetwood Owners Club
Experts Say

I talk to the floor experts and they said to us the floating floor method and use a adhesive backing that is moister proof and glue the wood joints together as you lay it. Once finished seal the floor with a moister sealant (3 Coats). We are probably going to go with Bamboo on the main floor area and the slides will be carpet, then the wife will have area rugs and runner made to go over the wood floor areas.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:50 PM   #27

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I would not put a bamboo floor anywhere. Not that I'm an expert or anything but all of the bamboo I've seen has a shrinkage problem as it ages.

We put down throw rugs.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:40 PM   #28

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
We have real hardwood on all the floors except around the front seats it is years old now and looks great and stands up to water spills harded to install than laminate but worth it.

Bob N Deb is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
remodel