Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-27-2013, 07:33 AM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Remodeling our $30K DP

After lots of searching and help from this forum we bought our first Motorhome.
http://www.irv2.com/forums/showthrea...errerid=108568

2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor on a Frieghtliner Chassis with a 300HP CAT.

Now we are starting our remodeling and prepping for full timing. Our goal is to be out of the stick house and living in the RV by mid July.
With the business that we run time and money will be our biggest challenges.

First thing is we removed the couch and Captian chairs, then pulled the carpet.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1619060048.jpg
Views:	835
Size:	442.0 KB
ID:	39607

We are going to lay Traffic Master Allure flooring.

We discovered that the Captian's chairs are worse than we first thought.
We are thinking we might need to replace them.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Mike
MJD2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2013, 07:44 AM   #2

WOW ! That didn't take long
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:33 AM   #3

Have you had someone go through the engine to make sure it is in top shape? Recommend yu check engine coolant hoses and any hydraulic hoses. Also brakes, the exhaust brake, and of course changing engine fluids. Coach heaters etc. Bad chairs won't strand you, but chassis problems will!
Peralko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:38 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
There are quite a few that replace or add in Lazy Boy chairs. Find something that you like from a furniture store that fits where you want and go with that.
Just remember you do not need to have RV in the name for it to go in the RV. RV in the name seems to add a lot of money to the price so if you can get the same thing or better without spending more money it's a good thing.
Old 05-27-2013, 09:24 AM   #5

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peralko View Post
Have you had someone go through the engine to make sure it is in top shape? Recommend yu check engine coolant hoses and any hydraulic hoses. Also brakes, the exhaust brake, and of course changing engine fluids. Coach heaters etc. Bad chairs won't strand you, but chassis problems will!
Thanks for your input.
I really appreciate your concern.

I think I have the drive train covered as much as I can.

This was a one owner coach and very well maintained.
71000 miles.
We reviewed all maintenance records and manuals... The previous owner saved everything. Every receipt scrap of paper, even the original build sheet.

A local mechanic went over it and said it was good to go.

I spent over 3 hours going over the coach before we drove it, before we bought it.

We drove it 400 miles home.
It is scheduled to go in the local truck shop for a complete inspection and service..
This is the shop our friend who is an over road trucker takes his Kenworth to.

It is also getting new tires.

I may be new to Motorhomes and even diesels, but I do realize that no matter what we do, even if we bought a brand new coach we could still end up stranded somewhere. I have seen my share of new vehicles break.

We joined coach net before we bought it.
We have a budget set aside for break downs.

I do my research and try to be as prepared as possible.
If I have missed a step please let me know.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 05-27-2013, 09:28 AM   #6

Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
There are quite a few that replace or add in Lazy Boy chairs. Find something that you like from a furniture store that fits where you want and go with that.
Just remember you do not need to have RV in the name for it to go in the RV. RV in the name seems to add a lot of money to the price so if you can get the same thing or better without spending more money it's a good thing.
Thanks,
Besides living room chairs we need good driver and passenger chairs.
The cushions and covers are worn on ours and the driver seat was uncomfortable after an hour of driving.

Thanks
Mike
Old 05-27-2013, 09:35 AM   #7

Assuming your seats were Flexsteel you can get new ones from Captain's Chairs for RVs and Marine - RV Seating, Marine Seating, Boat Seating, Yacht Seating
Other people have just had their existing seats recovered and the foam replaced as necessary. A local company could do that for you.
Algoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:39 AM   #8

Mike- try Ikea for the "recliner." We got a nice bentwood chair to substitute for the ubiquitous recliner. And vs the bulk of the recliner, it makes the coach feel and act bigger, as well as being a great chair. You can order any of the dozen or more upholstery pads in a color to match your decor. Some people fret you can't bolt it down (although you could use the same clamp type setup many coaches use), but we just let it float and it has never moved enough to notice.

Friends like it so much, my wife wound up selling our first one to one of her buddies who just couldn't wait to pass by an Ikea. Now we're on our second. I think she wanted to change the upholstery color, which she did by a shade. All I know is I had to drive a thousand miles w/out "my" chair.

FYI- its easy enough to do wall paper, paint, etc. in your redecorating dreams.
Flexsteel is the way to go for driver/passenger chairs. Call Redlands Truck & RV in the northeast L.A. area & see if they have any leftovers; folks sometimes take their rigs there to do remodel stuff, and Redlands occasionally has essentially new replacements. I saw a set of Flexsteel driver/passenger chairs there last time I visited.
Old 05-27-2013, 10:40 AM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Reupholster and new padding for the chairs, unless you do not like the chair itself, will be cheaper than buying new ones. Most local upholstery shops will do the work. Does not need to be a boat or car shop.

We did that with one chair cushion and the large sofa using UltraLeather to match the rest of the furniture.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:55 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

You might also Google for RV salvage yards in your area. Sometimes you can get salvaged stuff at good prices. Be sure to update us with your progress; we love to follow along and admire your hard work!!
Old 05-27-2013, 10:59 AM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
Thanks everyone.

They are flexsteel pilot and co-pilot chairs.
We are looking into how much it will cost to recover them.

I think we are going to try and put a cabinet on the slide where the couch was and put one of our flat screen TVs on it. A couple of smaller comfy chairs opposite it.

We don't have an Ikea near us but may be able to visit one in another city or find something online.

Thanks,
Mike
Old 05-27-2013, 11:40 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Hi Mike

If your driver and passenger seats are the large comfy seats, you would be better off having them redone. My seats are getting uncomfortable after several hours driving. When I get back home in November. I will remove them and have the recushioned and new leather. New seats are just crazy in price.
Good luck in your travels. I'm sure you will have a great time.
Rick
Gorlininc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 01:17 PM   #13

Wife thought her Flexsteel chair was uncomfortable until I showed her all the adjustments available. She had the air bolster pumped all the way up. Once that was adjusted she liked the chair a whole lot better. She's a tiny one and just barely makes a dent in the cushions

Hope you'll post pics along the way of your renovation.
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 02:28 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
The cheapest I've seen recovering is about 400 per chair. I don't know if that includes new foam. If I recall, you were going to be doing about 30k a year driving. That means you will want to replace in 4 years or so. I would take a chance on some memory foam drivers cushions that truckers use. New seats will meet you back about a thousand each.
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote