Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2011, 07:51 PM   #1

Remounting front TV?

Has any one remounted there front flat screen TV with a pull out swivel? Planning to us a strap (approved by the wife) to support while under way.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2011, 10:05 PM   #2

I replaced my heavy CRT TV with a 32" HDTV and used a heavy duty wall mount. It doesn't swing out and the TV sits in front of the hole where the old unit was installed. The TV has two HDMI inputs. I connect my DISH Network receiver to one and my Blueray to the other. TV two on the DISH receiver connects to the coax to the back bedroom TV and we use the TV 2 remote to change channels on the back TV. My wife and I have different tasts and this allows us to have full control over what we watch. I plan on replacing the rear TV with a flatscreen in the near future but it won't be HDMI but will have a larger screen. I will try and take some pictures and post them once the snow subsides.

Old 02-26-2011, 10:22 PM   #3

I took my old CRT and cabinet out of the bedroom and mounted a LCD with a swivel mount to the bulkhead panel. I was going to use a strap to hold it in place but came up with what I think was a better idea. To keep the LCD in place when traveling I made some spacer bocks from foam covered with some wood grain laminate flooring and then wrapped it with clear tape. I applied Velcro to the back of the LCD, front and back side of the spacer blocks, and to the bulkhead.

After I did this work I found a swivel mount on the internet that will lock in the stowed position. I had already done the work so for now it will stay that way. I may go back and replace the swivel with a locking unit.

Old 03-01-2011, 08:49 PM   #4

Try tvformyrv.com.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:06 PM   #5

I found the same subject on irv2 back in 2008. Some good recomendations and the same mount I found at tvformyrv.com

wall mount flat screen tv
Old 03-01-2011, 09:24 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgpollard View Post
Has any one remounted there front flat screen TV with a pull out swivel? Planning to us a strap (approved by the wife) to support while under way.
I purchased and installed model TV40-001H made by MOR-RYDE MOR/ryde - Products - Aftermarket - TV Mounts

These mounts are made for RVs. It mounts on a bottom shelf and locks in place while riding. There is a latch that you lift to release, that allows you to pull it out about 12 inches and you can rotate about 45 degrees left or right and also tilt up and down. Cost about $150. Easy to install (about 4 bolts on the bottom and the standard VESA plate to attach to the TV. PM me if you want to see pictures.
Old 03-01-2011, 09:25 PM   #7
mjp

National RV Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rgpollard, please see Upgraded the big front tube tv to led hdtv Post # 18 for the articulating style mount rated for double the static weight of the TV with removable 1/8 inch aviation safety cables for redundant in motion protection from mount failure. Not worried about the articulating mount, however the TV's mounting points may not be rated for sudden G-impluse. Allows for viewing the TV even with the slides retracted. No problem since installation.
Old 03-03-2011, 08:52 AM   #8

My front TV is mounted in a wood box arrangement. I replaced my front TV with a new HD TV. I measured the hole and begin shopping. I found one that was about 2' smaller on the sides, but perfect for the vertical size. I made two black side panels to cover the 1" on each side so it looks as good as the original 2005 TV.

I had to modify the metal holder on the back of the TV as the sound, power and antenna connections were in a different position. It took most of a day, but it was worth the effort. The holder keeps the TV in position in the hole in the front of the box.
Whitofok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2011, 12:11 PM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
You can see pictures of my 32 inch TV installation HERE.

Winnebago uses a steel cage in the cabin area made of rectangular steel tubing. The steel framework for the overhead cabinet is attached to it.

I made two sides, top, back and bottom out of 3/4 inch plywood.
Probably overkill but I wanted 3/4 on the right side where I installed the articulating arm for strength and I just wanted to buy one sheet of plywood.

The arm is held with two 1/4 inch bolts with fender washers under the nuts. The top one goes through the steel framework Winnebago uses around the cabinet.
I put the back piece of plywood in last so it could be easily removed to have access to the area behind the cabinet to run wires to the electronics in the cabinets on each side. (5 disc DVD/CD/Mp3 player, receiver amplifier, satellite receiver, Wilson cellphone amplifier, Wilson Trucker cellphone antenna downlead coax, and and Verizon aircard).

Before installing the plywood pieces I covered them with laminate flooring left over from my flooring project.

I had to trim about 1/4 inch off the cabinet doors on each side of the TV. A little Light Oak stain and some polyurethane varnish and you can't tell they were trimmed.

A couple of the pictures show what I used for the travel hold downs. I put some weather stripping on the back to protect the TV face.They (the pictures) aren't real good but they make help you get started and know what is behind the existing TV.
Old 05-30-2011, 09:18 PM   #10

Can you send me pictures on how you mounted the mor-ryde? I just purchased one but the boards underneath where the previous tv was is really flimsy and I am afraid it won't hold the mount and the tv while traveling.
Old 05-30-2011, 11:42 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by beignet View Post
Can you send me pictures on how you mounted the mor-ryde? I just purchased one but the boards underneath where the previous tv was is really flimsy and I am afraid it won't hold the mount and the tv while traveling.
I sent you a PM on this. Short answer, is "yes", you probably need reinforce the bottom of your TV opening.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:39 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Has anyone replaced the CRT in the front of a 1998 Holiday Rambler Endeavor with a flat panel tv?
bookman52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 08:06 AM   #13

My 89 Foretravel originally had an overhead "box" in the middle for a 13" analog TV. Previous owner put a 15" Dynex LCD TV mounted to face of "box". TV was bad when we got it so I remodeled "box so it is flush with bottom of overhead. I first tried the articulated/swivel mount but kept hitting my head because of the sloping windshield. I needed to be able to move the 23" LED TV side to side to access the compartments on each side. I now have made a solid oak cover for the center opening, with the top back edge relieved about 1/4". I am now in the process of fabricating a bracket that will be permanently mounted to the back of the TV. The bracket will move the TV out 6" from the face of the overhead so we can open the doors on either side, but hook over the oak board. When traveling or working up front the TV will be stored away so I no longer will be hitting my head. No Pictures yet, but will be taking them after It is finished.