Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-12-2007, 03:18 AM   #1

Does anyone have any idea where I might purchase a tool to remove caps from tire valves?
We are the proud owners of a new Allegro Bay on a Freightliner FRED chassis w/22.5" wheels. The rear tires have metal valves, brass I assume, probably 4 or 5" in length. I can see the valve on the inside dual but no way can I remove the cap to check pressure.
I checked with NAPA yesterday and they list one in their system but with no specs. From the picture we both agreed that it appeared too short to be of any value. Looks like a tool of about 10 or 12" long would suffice.
Have a great day!

'07 Allegro Bay 34XB
duramr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2007, 03:18 AM   #2

Does anyone have any idea where I might purchase a tool to remove caps from tire valves?
We are the proud owners of a new Allegro Bay on a Freightliner FRED chassis w/22.5" wheels. The rear tires have metal valves, brass I assume, probably 4 or 5" in length. I can see the valve on the inside dual but no way can I remove the cap to check pressure.
I checked with NAPA yesterday and they list one in their system but with no specs. From the picture we both agreed that it appeared too short to be of any value. Looks like a tool of about 10 or 12" long would suffice.
Have a great day!

'07 Allegro Bay 34XB
Old 04-12-2007, 05:30 AM   #3

Send a message via AIM to Fossilhog
Is it just a hex head nut?
Old 04-12-2007, 05:58 AM   #4
paz

If the cap has a hex, you may be able to get a socket with a long extension in there. If you have wheel simulators instead of aluminum wheels you may need to remove them.

I usually have to get down on the ground (depending on where the valve is positioned) and squeeze my arm up between the duals to reach the valve. You kind of need that hand in there anyway to guide pressure gauge or the air chuck onto the end of the valve anyway. If you push on the tire gauge and it is not perfectly square to the end of the valve you'll only let air out of the tire and won't get a pressure reading.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2007, 07:05 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use a short piece of appropriatly sized rubber hose,(fuel line) to remove and reinstall valve caps on inside dual.

Dieselclacker
Old 04-12-2007, 11:27 AM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Why not install valve stem extentons? Works great for me.
Old 04-12-2007, 04:01 PM   #7

Hi Mark,
I found an "expedient" & inexpensive removal tool at the local Home Depot. I bought a pair of very long needle-nose pliers [by Stanley in my case] that fit neatly through my outside Alcoa's & could easily grasp the valve stem cap and loosen it. I then slipped a short length of rubber vacuum hose over the loosened cap & finished the removal. Works in reverse too when replacing the cap & tightening it.

I would recommend staying away from any kind of valve extensions [that are not OEM for your coach]. They tend to cause more leaks & subsequent headaches than they [temporarily] solve....Good luck!
Old 04-12-2007, 09:47 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I am amazed that RV mfg's get away with selling rigs with such a poor setup, and I am surprised with all the good things I have heard about Tiffin that they do it too!! My Winnebago/Spartan chassis came with long metal valve stems that make it easy to check tire pressures. If you really want to "fix" the problem, you need the long metal valve stems. Many people do "get away" with using extensions, but many, many of them also leak. I also replaced my metal valve caps with Alligator double valve caps that allow you to check the pressure and/or add air without removing the caps. If you can get a dual foot gauge onto that difficult to reach valve, the Alligator cap would be a great addition. You can normally find them a truck tire service places, or do a google search and you can get them online.
Old 04-13-2007, 03:09 AM   #9

Many great ideas - thanks. The valve caps on my coach are not the hex variety, unfortunately.

I thought of flexible extentions but had some problems with a set on a previous Class A.

What gets me is that "they" (probably Freightliner) don't use the longer metal valves. If you're going to install 4 or 5", why not go 8 or 10" (?).

Again many thanks - much food for thought!

'07 Allegro Bay 34XB
Old 04-13-2007, 06:36 AM   #10
paz

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by AFChap:
I am amazed that RV mfg's get away with selling rigs with such a poor setup, and I am surprised with all the good things I have heard about Tiffin that they do it too!! My Winnebago/Spartan chassis came with long metal valve stems that make it easy to check tire pressures. If you really want to "fix" the problem, you need the long metal valve stems. Many people do "get away" with using extensions, but many, many of them also leak. I also replaced my metal valve caps with Alligator double valve caps that allow you to check the pressure and/or add air without removing the caps. If you can get a dual foot gauge onto that difficult to reach valve, the Alligator cap would be a great addition. You can normally find them a truck tire service places, or do a google search and you can get them online. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The tires and wheels come from the chassis manufacturer not the coach builder. I agree longer valver would be nice (extensions are "iffy" because they can leak), but I think the longer valves only come on the higher-end, diesel chassis.
Check out our blog: Living Our Dream
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 08:12 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Maybe the Valve Pal will help? Or you can Googlle tire valve tool and find others gadgets to help deal with this problem. Or put extensions on the valve, either U-shaped solid ones or flexible ones. Ar something like the Cat's Eye

Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote