Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-30-2016, 01:51 PM   #1

Remove Newmar Bay Doors

Finally had all my problems solved, took the MH in for a state inspection and the tech scraped the bay doors. My body shop sez I need to take the doors off and bring them in since they don't have room to park my rig. Had anyone done this?
Happy New Year to all and Keep Smiling,
Bob
BobrUSMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2016, 01:58 PM   #2

There is a Newmar document on removal. Depends on the year. Some have a screw clip that can be seen with the door open. The clip is removed and the door is slid to remove out the end of the channel. Of course the gas strut must be removed as well.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 02:09 PM   #3

Vettenuts,
I see the one document on the Newmar web site, it didn't seem as though it applied to my doors, but I'll go back and reinvestigate. Thank you for your prompt reply.
Bob
Old 12-30-2016, 02:21 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
There is a Newmar document on removal. Depends on the year. Some have a screw clip that can be seen with the door open. The clip is removed and the door is slid to remove out the end of the channel. Of course the gas strut must be removed as well.
I had a cement fuel pump island jump out and scrape two doors on my DS. They are very easy to remove as vettenuts says. If the aluminum edges are damaged you can buy lengths of new material from Newmar. They cut mine into 4' lengths for shipping. Reasonable price, I have enough left to repair two more doors should the occasion arise.
These doors use a plastic skin over a styrofoam panel. I took a hair dryer with a long scraper behind the damaged part after removing the edges and worked the damage out to the point where the repair was minimal. The body shop did the repair and prep for paint. Then I brought the coach in and they installed the doors and painted them. Turned out real nice. New doors are about 1K each plus painting. This repair came to $700 total out the door.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0176.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	285.0 KB
ID:	147836   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0214.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	161.9 KB
ID:	147837  

Old 12-30-2016, 02:53 PM   #5

Dennis,
Good info! Could not find it on the on-line catalog so I sent them an email.
Thanks,
Bob
Old 12-30-2016, 04:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobrUSMC View Post
Dennis,
Good info! Could not find it on the on-line catalog so I sent them an email.
Thanks,
Bob
You might be better to call. They were very helpful when I talked to them. There are two profiles, one for the uprights and one for the lower.
Old 12-30-2016, 05:02 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
I had a cement fuel pump island jump out and scrape two doors on my DS. They are very easy to remove as vettenuts says. If the aluminum edges are damaged you can buy lengths of new material from Newmar. They cut mine into 4' lengths for shipping. Reasonable price, I have enough left to repair two more doors should the occasion arise.

These doors use a plastic skin over a styrofoam panel. I took a hair dryer with a long scraper behind the damaged part after removing the edges and worked the damage out to the point where the repair was minimal. The body shop did the repair and prep for paint. Then I brought the coach in and they installed the doors and painted them. Turned out real nice. New doors are about 1K each plus painting. This repair came to $700 total out the door.

Do you have other photos of the doors apart? A few of mine have some delamination of the plastic from the foam and I am trying to figure the best way to repair.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 05:23 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by vettenuts View Post
Do you have other photos of the doors apart? A few of mine have some delamination of the plastic from the foam and I am trying to figure the best way to repair.
Sorry, that's all I have. But when I pushed the scraper between the styrofoam and the skin to work out the creases, I had to break the bond between the material. I just shot some silicone into the void. Just enough to fill the void after creasing the the styrofoam but not enough to cause the skin to swell.

I could only get the silicone about half way into the length of the crease (4" or so) but it turned out nice and smooth when it was all done after the body shop got finished with their magic.

Also, I'm assuming your doors swing out sideways were the 03 doors lift up from the bottom to open. They may be different. Can't say for sure.

The aluminum edges are held in place with sheet metal screws and are actually glued and screwed in place. You need to replace the trim after removal.
I ended up using my die grinder with a cutting wheel to get them off. They use something like a ply bond type glue. Good stuff.....

A length of the uprights and one of the bottom rail were only about $100 but I don't know if it would be worthwhile just to restick the skin? Just saying.

BTW, I'm guessing your doors swing out to the side were as the 03 doors are hinged on top and open from the bottom. Could be a different animal.
Old 12-30-2016, 06:28 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
you need a new body shop!
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 09:39 PM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemert View Post
you need a new body shop!
Yup! They are getting paid good money to fix your doors. Why should you have to do half the work?
Old 12-30-2016, 09:54 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Assuming the Inspection place or their Insurance is covering the cost I agree if your body shop will not remove the door, repair/paint, and replace I would find another body shop. If you screw up the removal and or the replacement who is going to pay for that.
Rkesselus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2016, 10:00 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
Yup! They are getting paid good money to fix your doors. Why should you have to do half the work?

In my case, the deducible was $1000 so for $300 less, I did part of the work. Made perfect sense. Also had other paint touch up done at the same time. Sometimes ya just gotta do what ya gotta do.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:08 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
In my case, the deducible was $1000 so for $300 less, I did part of the work. Made perfect sense. Also had other paint touch up done at the same time. Sometimes ya just gotta do what ya gotta do.
You are right o course but...the OP should not be using his insurance in this case. It should all be on the repair shop's dime!
gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 01:58 PM   #14

"After further review" the doors are in fact removed the way the document states. Going to call Newmar tomorrow for new end pieces and won't remove the doors until they arrive since my MH is in a storage yard. Thx Dennis. No chance of taking my MH to the body shop, I could get in down that narrow road but I'd never be able to turn into his area with a four foot deep ditch on either side of the entry. That is daunting even to me (Two Vietnam tours).
Bob

Tags
door, newmar