Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-26-2012, 10:10 PM   #1

Remove TV Antenna

Since I installed my HD satellite system I have been thinking about removing the standard TV antenna on the coach. I can still connect to cable in campgrounds where I can't "see" the satellites.

In fact I have never used the TV antenna and would just as soon clean up the roof line.

I am hard pressed to see where the lack of a TV antenna would make a difference if I were to try to sell the coach.

Any comments or feed back are appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-26-2012, 11:04 PM   #2
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I have thought the same thing, but I'm going to wait. I have plans to mount a cell phone antenna to it that would work while driving and then could be raised three feet when parked for better coverage.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 07:03 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemon Twist View Post
Since I installed my HD satellite system I have been thinking about removing the standard TV antenna on the coach. I can still connect to cable in campgrounds where I can't "see" the satellites.

In fact I have never used the TV antenna and would just as soon clean up the roof line.

I am hard pressed to see where the lack of a TV antenna would make a difference if I were to try to sell the coach.

we occasionally are reduced to over the air tv. I would not buy a motorhome with no ant and would think any manufacturer that did this would be the ultimate in cost cutting. Since its you wanting to clean up the roof who in the world is looking at it. If it aint broke!!!!!
Old 08-27-2012, 07:41 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I don't think there is much gain in removing the antenna. In my limited CG experiences I haven't been to one with cable. In my current home base CG I can't get to an open sky even with 150' of cable for a free standing sat dish either.

To what extent do you mean by removing it? I would assume you mean pulling the pins of the raising mechanism and removing that. What will you do with the cable?

If it makes you feel good, go for it. I'm just not sure you are going to gain anything by removing it. You will certainly want to re-install it if you trade/sell it.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:48 AM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
My Batwing brings in over 20 some local stations where I am at. Many of them in HD.
Cable has less then 1/2 that.

With my DirecTV HD & Batwing for local. I haven't hooked to a campground cable for a couple years or so.

And I would bet not many if any campgrounds that have cable. Have any HD channels.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 08:42 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:

I have been in many campgrounds in my short RV career where I can't get a clear view of the southern sky with my satellite antenna. I crank up the TV antenna and more often than not I will get something. All in digital and most in HD. I would leave the antenna. Then you have the options of all three sources. As far as drag and such, you will never see a difference in fuel consumption due to the lack of the TV antenna on your roof. Campground cable is usually terrible. Have fun, seeya on the road.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:06 AM   #7

When you remove the antenna you have a hole to contend with in top and inside. I too have used our roof antenna some and can almost get some digital channels.
vraines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:09 AM   #8

My question would be, what about the hole in the roof? Do you have a rubber roof? Again, I have a satellite system also, and as others have said, offentimes your signal can be blocked then its either DVD's or over the air.
I would not want an RV with no over the air antenna, course it wouldn't be a deal breaker, but I would want one installed before I bought it.
If you do remove the antenna, don't cut the cable, just coil it up and stow it beneath the hole cover you install. You could put a piece of aluminum over the hole and screw it down, then plenty of caulk.
Bottom line, its your coach, if that's what you want, go for it

Happy Trails
Jim
Chaffeekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:16 AM   #9
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Here's one solution .. the one you chose may vary the results ...

With over 4,500 reads!

JACK Digital HDTV Antenna

.... any HD antenna would not detract value from the coach and in most cases, local HD broadcasts become available for useful stuff like local news and weather. I would recommend that you not throw away technology. (Even if you don't use it often or at all)
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 09:49 AM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
I removed the batwing (just the top part) last year & replace it with the mounting bracket & a wifi booster. Now I can find a signal in any campground. Pulls them in from miles away.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:58 AM   #11

I've toyed with the idea of getting one of those portable satellite dishes for RV's. But even being able to pack it away, just seems like overkill, at least for us and the misses.

I couldn't see installing one on the roof of our B, but I wouldn't mind having it for that one place we can't get reception via broadcast. I mean, when they're broadcasting in HD, do you really need a satellite dish? I guess if you have kids or plan on entertaining it would be a good trick to add to your bag.
Old 08-27-2012, 12:33 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
What I have found is that thanks to the digital "enhancement" of over the air TV, there are now a few stations that basically are hard to find on either satellite or cable, Despite rules requiring the sat/cable providers carry all the broadcast channels (in some cases) the #-2 and #-3 stations are conspicuous by their absence on cable/sat

The problem is these are often the stations with what I consider the best programs.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:47 PM   #13

Thanks for the feedback

I'll probably just leave it where it is since it doesn't hurt anything.
Thanks everybody.
Old 08-27-2012, 01:48 PM   #14
iRV2 Marketing

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
I'll probably just leave it where it is since it doesn't hurt anything. Thanks everybody.
There ya go!

RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antenna