Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2015, 10:47 PM   #1

Removed decal, now what to do ?

I have used a 3M decal removal disk and removed a vinyl decal from the "hood" on my motor home. The image of the decal was still visible of course, I fully expected this so I then wet sanded the entire hood area with 1500 sandpaper. This is all on unpainted gel coat ? I want to apply vinyl wrap material to this hood now but need to know if the fiberglass needs some sort of "sealer" as the surface now has a porous feel to it. The info I have on applying vinyl is that the surface should be clean and wax free so I would not want to apply anything that would cause it to not stick properly. If I apply the vinyl to the surface as it is I wonder if it would cause problems in the future with the removal of the vinyl when that time occurs. Any input is welcome, Pat.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2015, 08:42 PM   #2

Pat,
I own a Graphics company in Minneapolis, so I have some experience in this area. You can save yourself a ton of issues with these simple steps. Good vinyl ill allow the vinyl to be removed some day if you want to.
1 - Use a good cast vehicle graphics vinyl, like 3M IJ180 with Air Release.
2 - Clean the surface and make sure it is totally clean, wax and lint free.
3 - Heat the vinyl with a hair dryer or heat gun with cautions, to about 140 deg. F, or very warm to the touch to help set the adhesive.

Old 06-25-2015, 09:07 PM   #3

He did a wet sand on the gel coat, can he just buff it out now prior to the vinyl application?
Old 06-26-2015, 05:56 AM   #4

Buffing before would give the vinyl a smoother surface, but sold not be necessary. Personally I would not remove any more gel coat than necessary and buff after or if the vinyl was removed.
Old 06-26-2015, 06:00 AM   #5

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate them, Pat.
Old 06-26-2015, 09:43 AM   #6

I've been playing around with vinyl wrap on my coach and have to totally agree with comment about getting a top quality vinyl. There is no substitute for 3M 1080, despite other manufacturers claims. It handles really well and the air release will let you work out any air bubbles.

And, I might clarify the earlier statement about heating to 140 degrees. You want to do that heating when the vinyl is on and exactly the way you want it. And, if you are doing any kind of pattern with the vinyl, the Knifeless tape is the only way to go.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:15 AM   #7

My first choice was going to be 3M but the after some research I found that most of the 3M products have a 3-5 year durability while Avery boast theirs is 7-10 years. This is for non-metallic or matte finishes, I am only using gloss, colored, cast vinyl. I am only in the planning stage so any input on this would be welcomed. Thanks, Pat.