RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-09-2017, 10:43 AM   #1

Removing a pane from dual pane windows

My Harney DP has dual pane windows. It's a 1999 and of course half of them have broken seals.

Two years ago I removed the door window, and cleaned and resealed it. Great for one year. Seal failed again on the second year.

I am considering removing the inner panes for the driver's vision windows for safety sake. My concern is that this will leave a gap that I am not sure how to fill. I could cut strips of steel or aluminum and space with those to sandwich the rubber seal. Or maybe there is a rubber that is thicker.

Anyone with any experience with this?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-09-2017, 10:52 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky1320 View Post
My Harney DP has dual pane windows. It's a 1999 and of course half of them have broken seals.

Two years ago I removed the door window, and cleaned and resealed it. Great for one year. Seal failed again on the second year.

I am considering removing the inner panes for the driver's vision windows for safety sake. My concern is that this will leave a gap that I am not sure how to fill. I could cut strips of steel or aluminum and space with those to sandwich the rubber seal. Or maybe there is a rubber that is thicker.

I had a dual pane window that etched badly. I kept the best pane and cut a piece of Lexan to replace the other pane. Resealed and was ok for years (sold the RV).

Old 10-09-2017, 11:34 AM   #3

I replaced an entire glass panel with 1/4" Lexan. Worked great and resolved the thickness issue.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2017, 08:43 PM   #4

My panes are ok. They clean up nicely. But I can't seem to keep them sealed.
Old 10-09-2017, 10:04 PM   #5

??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucky1320 View Post

Sorry, no experience with removing one pane, but I have resealed several.

When you resealed your door window, did you use new spacer material? The spacer has chemicals to keep moisture out.

Did you use C.R. LAURENCE 877 CRL Super Spacer Sealant as the sealant?

I think removing, cleaning, and resealing is less work than trying to remove one of the panes.

Good luck with whichever method you choose.

Fred
Old 10-10-2017, 05:11 PM   #6

That's exactly what I used and did. So it surprises me it failed so quickly. I realize it sees more punishment than most windows being in the door. But how frustrating that probably the easiest one I could do failed in a year.

Tags
window