Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-06-2017, 04:56 PM   #1

Jayco Owners Club
Removing back holding tank sensors to clean them

Has any one removed these sensors to clean them if your unable to by flushing them clean. To me it seems easier to pull them and clean them rather then spending the time trying to flush off multiple times to clean them. What do you think?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-06-2017, 05:04 PM   #2

Sounds like a wonderful idea, however each time you pull them out to clean them, you tempt leaks at the very worst....there are other systems that are suppose to be better which I can't comment on but then I was told that a certain chemical would prevent any build up on my sensors as well......bogus....so you take your chances on what you try.

WDK
WillandJane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 05:45 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Actually, I think it's a loosing proposition either way. I was able to successfully clean them using ice and driving around, but they quickly got encrusted again.
tdyltc46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 06:34 PM   #4

Triple E Owners Club
Doubt you can remove them without significant damage.
Most of the sensors are spun in, spinning them in at a high speed basically
welds them in place.
External sensors work a lot better than the internal ones.
If you can access the sides of your tanks it is not that hard to
add in.
Took me a day to do mine when I had my 5er.
Haven't worried about it since I got the A.
Old 09-06-2017, 06:46 PM   #5
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I think your time would better spent by adding a SeeLevel tank monitoring system. The sensors go on the outside of the tank and you'll never have an issue again.
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 07:18 PM   #6

Removing back holding tank sensors to clean them

Mine was never right all season. Found a very easy way to fix. Fill tank to top and let sit for couple days. Add laundry soap while filling. About a cup for 55 gal tank.

Drain after sitting. After draining and with valve open, use 90 degree water hose fitting hooked to end of a garden hose. Feed it down the toilet while holding flap open spin it around by using the hose. Take your time and flush out tank.

You'll be surprised at what comes out of the corners while doing this.

We painted the fitting so it is used for hooking up the black water flush hose. Funny black water flush doesn't really get what sticking a hose down does.
Double B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 08:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch star don View Post
i think your time would better spent by adding a seelevel tank monitoring system. The sensors go on the outside of the tank and you'll never have an issue again.
x2 👍👍👍
Old 09-07-2017, 04:45 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double B View Post
Mine was never right all season. Found a very easy way to fix. Fill tank to top and let sit for couple days. Add laundry soap while filling. About a cup for 55 gal tank.

Drain after sitting. After draining and with valve open, use 90 degree water hose fitting hooked to end of a garden hose. Feed it down the toilet while holding flap open spin it around by using the hose. Take your time and flush out tank.

You'll be surprised at what comes out of the corners while doing this.

We painted the fitting so it is used for hooking up the black water flush hose. Funny black water flush doesn't really get what sticking a hose down does.
Or buy you one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by marjoa View Post
Save your money. They do not work great. Had one before I found what I have suggested. The wand does not have the force or the amount of water to clean anything. Its like taking a dental water pick and trying to clean your tank while spinning it. Now they do help flush the tank. But the amount of water you need to direct, and being able to direct the water where you want to go, is easier with one of these hooked to a hose;

Click image for larger version

Name:	brass elbow.JPG
Views:	353
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	175799

Again don't use you city water hose for this, we have a 10' hose we carry that is for use at dump stations that don't have a hose or is not long enough. We use that one.
Double B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 08:29 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
I think your time would better spent by adding a SeeLevel tank monitoring system. The sensors go on the outside of the tank and you'll never have an issue again.

I installed a SeeLevel system on my coach after having numerous problems with my grey tank sensors, even after installing a flush system. SeeLevel is the way to go by far, it works great.
G Schulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 06:20 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double B View Post
Save your money. They do not work great.
Well that's true until you do what I did and cut off the first 1/2" or so from the tip. Anyway, I revisited this post to give a more thorough explanation of how I cleaned and fixed my malfunctioning black water tank sensors. So here we go...

After reading all the problems folks have with their black tank sensors not working properly—me included—I decided to tackle this problem.

Here’s what I did:

• Bought anti flush wand from Amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Then I cut off the tip to give it a wider spray pattern

• Emptied the black tank completely, filled with approx. 5 gallons of water and added a half bag of powered laundry soap

• Attached the wand to a separate hose coming off the supply line with a “Y” connector, and brought that hose through the bedroom window. The reason I mention this is, is because the wand comes with an adapter to hook up to the bathroom sink. Problem is, when you hook it up to the sink and then open the toilet to insert the wand down into the tank, the toilet is also releasing water and there just isn’t enough water pressure getting to the wand to get the job done.

So continuing, I inserted the wand down into the toilet connected to a separate hose, turned on water and blasted the water from the wand down into the black tank soapy water to splash it onto the sides of the tank. Continued this motion along with pointing the want towards the end of the tank to blast off residue on the inside walls of the tank where the sensors are mounted on the outside of the tank. Did this procedure for about 5 minutes. Then dumped the black tank. Blasted the entire inside of the tank again, while focusing mostly on the side where the sensors are. Dumped tank again.

• Went to control panel and checked level….yeah…shows EMPTY like it’s suppose to.

• Added about 2 gallons of water, 1 scoop of Happy Campers and a cap full of Liquid Calgon…good to go.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	124
Size:	323.2 KB
ID:	176747   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	470.2 KB
ID:	176748  

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	268.8 KB
ID:	176749   Click image for larger version

Name:	4.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	490.7 KB
ID:	176750  

Name:	5.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	216.1 KB
ID:	176751  
Old 09-15-2017, 07:23 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Valterra 1221-1106 Valterra Holding Tank Probes

Sludge and soap residue build-up on the sides of RV black and gray water tanks can lead to false readings. The sludge acts like a conductor between the positive content level sensors down the tank to the negative probe that is located at the bottom of the tank. This will trigger the indicator panel to show that there is liquid level in the tank even when there is none. The patented design of the Probes prevents similar false readings in the following ways:

- Probes are considerably longer than standard probes and the sensor is surrounded by a Delrin body and teflon tube which prevents any liquid residue or sludge from setting up a conductive path

- The black tank probes have a specially designed “roof” over the probe sensor to prevent toilet paper from coming into contact with the probe and creating a false probe contact and related reading

- Easy to install as they fit the 3/8" diameter holes of existing probes, but consider drilling new holes and leaving the old probes alone, just moving over the existing wires.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:34 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Mid Atlantic Campers
Coastal Campers
Freightliner Owners Club
https://www.pwmall.com/p-134782-1449...r-nozzle-14-80

http://www.sewerjetgazette.net/how-t...essure-washer/
Kiawah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:51 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by powercat_ras View Post
Valterra 1221-1106 Valterra Holding Tank Probes

Sludge and soap residue build-up on the sides of RV black tank can lead to false readings.
Yep, and all you have to do is power wash the inside of the tank properly and end the problem. See my previous post #11.

Some folks—not necessarily you but maybe—will make this much more complicated than it really is. It's getting poop, sludge and film off the tanks inner walls. That's it.

Power wash the inside of the darn tank from time to time with soapy water and the sensors will work right.

Sorry I'm not an engineer or a technology install expert. I just know how to fix stuff.

Even though this maybe offend some, I approve this message.

Tags
tank