Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2016, 10:33 AM   #1

Removing Bugs from a Motor Home

Several methods for removing the deceased bugs on the front a motor home have been discussed in the past and this way as well and I might have missed it. We have a white car with a lot of white the front leading surface. The bugs are very noticeable after a long trip. The DW read that a dryer sheet is supposed to work to remove them. So, I got the hose out and in less than 5 minutes I removed every last bug from the car and another couple minutes, had the windshield spotless. With a little water, the Bounce sheet melted the bugs away with little effort. A quick rinse with the hose removed the milky residue for a brilliant shine. Then I went to the front of the motor home. In ten minutes, it looked like new again. So simple, cheap and easy. Wish I had though of it.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2016, 10:47 AM   #2

I mentioned this to the best thing about me and got the infamous eye roll. Us guys can be so dumb sometimes.

Old 07-03-2016, 11:36 AM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Use Rejex on the front before the trip and they'll come right off!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 11:42 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Bribe him with a carrot! Joe, how did you let this one get past you?

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2016, 12:54 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
One of those bug pads and turtle wax bug and tar remover... Lots of soaking and elbow grease...a10 ft ladder and a few beers... Good luck.. Ooh don't forget to wax it when your done... including the headlights... Have fun...rvn
Old 07-03-2016, 01:05 PM   #6

Hey Crasher, did you have to wax the area when you finished like Terry said?
Old 07-03-2016, 01:19 PM   #7

For the windshield I use rain-x and get a couple of good coats. Bugs will come off with little effort. We are on an AK trip and Canada has lots of bugs, and mud. When we have hilt rain, I let the windshield soften the bugs a bit and the wipers take them off. Don't forget to clean your wiper blades so they are more effective. I'm 5 weeks into the last rain-x application so in the next few days I'll clean the windshield and reapply. On the motorhome front, I have a good Meguires wax on the painted and diamond shield areas and haven't made an effort to clean it yet this trip.

With an essentially flat motorhome windshield, the rain doesn't readily flow off, but it does bead and easily seen through. When I lived and worked along the Gulf Of Mexico I used this with great success for love bug removal.
Old 07-03-2016, 02:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoFree View Post
Hey Crasher, did you have to wax the area when you finished like Terry said?
No I did not. I don't think the bounce sheet has any affect on the waxed finish or the clear coat. It's so easy that I still can't believe how quickly it cleans up. I've tried some of the other suggestions, but none of them equal the dryer sheet for ease and cleanup.
Old 07-03-2016, 09:10 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
X2 on the Rejex. I started using it two years ago and it works like a charm. Getting bugs off now is much easier.
Old 07-04-2016, 06:06 AM   #10

I had read about using the dryer sheets years ago and pretty much gave it the "eye roll" myself. Finally tried it about a year ago and could not believe how it just melted the bugs right off. I do put a coat of wax on after though because I was concerned that anything that was taking the bugs off that easy might be taking the wax also.
For anyone that hasn't tryed using the dryer sheets, it really is pretty amazing how easy they clean off the dried bugs and splatter.
cjd10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 09:03 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'm going to have to try dryer sheets.... The front of my rv is black and even a California duster leaves the paint scratched... So will see how it works but I'm thinking it will still need to b waxed or clayed and then waxed... Everyone have fun rvn
Old 07-04-2016, 09:12 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I have zero to do with this company, and I am just relaying a recommendation from a friend. However, I have been using a Norwex kitchen scrub cloth with water only, and it has worked miraculously. The cloth is not cheap (about $15 on eBay) but it is reusable, doesn't scratch the Diamond coat, and works with ease. I have tried some of the chemical products, but you have have to be careful with those, as they can fog your headlight lens pretty quickly. (Don't ask how I know)
Old 07-04-2016, 01:21 PM   #13

The Love Bug Eraser works great. You just need water. Here is the link:

The Love Bug Eraser - Best Way to Clean Love Bugs off Cars
Old 07-04-2016, 10:26 PM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
I found another way to use the dryer sheets that makes the bug removal job on the entire front of the coach very easy. I took my windshield squeegee, the one with the nylon mesh over the sponge, compressed the sponge and worked several dryer sheets in between the sponge and the mesh. The sponge holds the dryer sheets in place while you are scrubbing. With a long extendable handle and the wetted squeegee, I can clean the windshield and fiberglass front cap very quickly and with minimal effort. A hose and water rinses things off quite well.

US Gear UBS
FleetMan is offline   Reply With Quote