Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-07-2014, 09:31 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Removing Combo Washer/Dryer

Getting ready to remove the combo washer/dryer in my Monaco Diplomat 40' PBDD. It's located beside the closet at the very back of the bedroom on the passenger side. It's never used due to small size and very poor performance. Looking for advice, caution, suggestions on how to proceed.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2014, 10:09 PM   #2

I was the same way before my wife had liver transplant and I lived in mine for 4 months in Oklahoma City after her transplant. Might want to hold tight and do some maintenance for it to work better. Just my thoughts . I used my almost everyday.

Old 12-07-2014, 10:12 PM   #3

On my 02 Diplomat it has to come out through the closet a panel is held on with screws turn off the water unplug and take it out it will fit through the door without taking out the passenger set. Remember to plug the drain or you'll get the smell from the gray water tank when the trap drys out
mccrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 10:30 PM   #4
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
As soon as you remove it you will need it.

GlennLever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 08:10 AM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
First off if it is still working as designed it will seem small and inefficient. You just have to change your expectations. They are designed to do multiple small loads of wash and not the monster big loads house machines do and not do them quickly. There are also tricks that you can use to make things go easier. My wife has gone to classes at rallies and when we are not boondocking uses ours often. I would suggest that you take the time to learn how and when to use the machine properly. Here's an article that offers suggestions on how best to use these combo machines. http://www.aboutrving.com/pdfs/RVLaundryWrinkle.pdf
That being said you are going to have to deal with the all the plumbing that you are going to abandon in place. You are going to have to cap the supply lines and drain lines. You will be unable to winterize that section of plumbing unless you install special drains on the end of the supply lines. You may also have problems with the water in the p trap freezing and breaking the drain pipe and have a huge head ache. You are also going to have to plug the external exhaust vent to the outside to keep cold air and critters out. Also you may have issues with how the load in your coach is distributed if you pull out the machine.
What ever your decision good luck and happy trails
Old 12-08-2014, 09:20 AM   #6

With us being full time and not staying in campgrounds much, we do full time Christian volunteer work, we could not do without our W/D. The DW does small loads as required by W/D and it does very well. It does take longer but not having to trek back and forth to a laundry sure makes up for this.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:03 AM   #7

Let us know what you end up doing, and why. Good luck.

PS, we have a Whirlpool stack W/D and really like them.

2013 FleetWood Expedition 38B
Old 12-08-2014, 11:58 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

I agree with the others - the W/D works fine but you have to change your usage patterns. Many, smaller loads. Toss in a load and go about your business, letting the automatic features take care of it while you play, eat dinner, etc.

But since you have decided to get rid of it, examine the cabinet to see how it comes up. Often you have to remove a face panel or retainer board of some kind. Disconnect hoses, power cord and vent, and slide it out. You will need a helper - it's heavy! You may also have to remove an interior door to get it through to the front, and sometimes it is easier to remove the co-pilot chair than to life the W/D over/around it. All depends on your exact layout.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 02:59 PM   #9
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Cliff.....You need to measure to see if it will fit through the front door. When I installed my residential refer (05' Monaco Diplomat), I had to disconnect the door stop at the top of the door (undo the bar from the door frame, as it's riveted to the top of the door). This gave me two more inches with the door swung all the way open. I had to loosen the mirror and swing it forward some.

If it will fit through the door, then you need to make a rolling dolly as the combo units are very heavy awkward to move. Buy an inexpensive furniture dolly (flat dolly with four wheels) from Harbor Freight and build the frame on it up to the height of the washer. Slide it out onto the dolly and wheel it through the motor home. It can probably be tipped out the door onto a platform or tailgate of a truck.

If the unit won't fit through the door and you want to resell you may need to take out a large window or windshield. If you don't care about resale, you could dismantle it and remove it that way. Keep the drum as a BBQ pit.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 06:46 PM   #10

Mine quite working so I removed it. It will come out, but you will need someone to help with it. I have a 2000 Monaco Diplomat and I had to remove the shelf above the washer to get it out of the cabinet. It will fit out the door and down the hall way. (the door at the end of the hallway was tight) make sure you get someone with a strong back to help you, because they are pretty heavy and getting down the steps is fun as well.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:32 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks everyone for your comments, advise, & suggestions! The machine is "Haunted", by that I mean it sometimes works and sometimes not. It may wash but won't dry. Next time we try to use it the wash cycle may cut off after only 5 minutes and leave it full of wet dirty clothes with the door locked. Occasionally the dry cycle will abort and the dial will start spinning around and around. Last but certainly not least is that the clothes come out looking awful, so wrinkled that you don't want to wear them.
Old 12-08-2014, 11:38 PM   #12

sounds like requiring quite some effort to get it out of door per others. for its age, it's probably not worth of selling. could you just disassemble it or cut it with a rotary metal cutter so you can take it out piece by piece? we've got to make life easier
Old 12-09-2014, 08:43 AM   #13

Country Coach Owners Club
make sure all your vents are not plugged. I think you might want a service tec to look at too. Read over the manual and make sure that you're not overloading it.
Good luck
Old 12-09-2014, 09:05 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by u649024 View Post
Thanks everyone for your comments, advise, & suggestions! The machine is "Haunted", by that I mean it sometimes works and sometimes not. It may wash but won't dry. Next time we try to use it the wash cycle may cut off after only 5 minutes and leave it full of wet dirty clothes with the door locked. Occasionally the dry cycle will abort and the dial will start spinning around and around. Last but certainly not least is that the clothes come out looking awful, so wrinkled that you don't want to wear them.
I wouldn't give up on it until you contact Splendide Customer Service. Great folks and an "exorcism" may not be that bad. Sounds like a bad timer/control board gizmo-thingy. Who knows you may only have to pull it half-way out to fix it. That would be better than all the way out and through the door, etc. Then again, if the "other half" is already planning what to put in the extra space, then you have already lost.

Splendide
1-800-356-0766 #5 or 503-656-2280
Mon-Fri, 7:00am - 4:30pm (PST)

stik is offline   Reply With Quote