Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-25-2012, 10:26 PM   #1

Removing Dash Heater Core-2000 HR Endeavor

I have a leaky dash heater core on my 2000 HR Endeavor (Freightiner chassis). I plan to try to remove it myself for possible repair at the local radiator shop. It will be a few days before I begin trying to remove it, but was hoping to find someone here that has accomplished this task on a similar motorhome. I think the 97 - 2000 models were virtually the same, and maybe the 96 model was also.

It appears that the majority of the disassembly will be from inside under the dash, and some of the screws on the trim cover do not appear to be very easy to access.

Any tips on tackling this will be appreciated.

Thanks

Fred

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-26-2012, 10:00 AM   #2

There are a few tips I can give you on removing a heater core. Disconnect the battery. Take digital pictures often. Remove the passenger seat. You will need new heater hose, don't be concerned to take a box cutter to the old hose. Get one of those small LCD headlights. Take an old pillow to put your head on while laying under the dash. Lay lots of old towels on the carpet to absorb any spilt antifreeze. You may need a small mirror. Put the small parts you remove in one place, screws etc get lost easily. Replace your coolant.

Old 11-26-2012, 08:08 PM   #3

Thanks Bumperfood for the good tips. I'll use all of them except the passenger seat removal as my entry door is in front of the seat so I'll be sitting, laying, squirming, and cussin from the entry step area.

If anyone else has info, all tips appreciated.

Fred
Old 03-11-2013, 11:15 PM   #4

Leaky heater core

I have great heat, but for the last 600 miles I was loosing coolant from the heater core. I was wondering if anyone has ever changed the heater core on this type of unit. I have a 1997 HR endeavor. I have it bypassed as the weather was getting warmer but at some point I will have to change it...any help would be greatly appreciated..I had read on here too that most of mine is outside under the hood by the generator. I can see the plastic box and some of the screws might be a booger to get to but does anyone have any suggestions or pictures of where to even start? Thanks all...Dave
Old 03-11-2013, 11:53 PM   #5
Yaj

Pond Piggies Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi Dave, I R&R the heater core in our 96 Endeavor. All work was out side, passenger side. The black plastic box your looking at has to be taken off the wall, then hoses can be removed and heater core can be removed. Yes most of the screws holding that box are a bear to get to (harder to reinstall). Our plastic box had some cracking around some of the screw holes so I made some rectangular plates to give the screws something to hold on to. Good Luck!
Old 03-12-2013, 12:01 AM   #6

I am impressed

Wow I am impressed by the quick reply. I am guessing if I just take all of the little screws out from around the plastic box, and pull the box away I can get to the core through there? Do I have to dump and reservice the AC or can I move the lines out of the way? Also I have a pair of vice grips on the door to manually open and close the cold or hot door so this might make things easier...I am not sure. Anyway I guess it is cut and dry...take the box off, remove the heater core and reinstall in reverse? Where did you find the heater core? Thanks for any help...Dave

you can email me directly if you want at
arcadavewilliams@gmail.com 843-509-8560 Thanks again...
Old 03-12-2013, 08:37 AM   #7

Here is a thread from the Alpine forum with a lot of good info I am sure will help you, including a resource for the core:

2003 Alpine Coach dash heater core removal?
Retired in Apple Valley, California
Rich and Cork is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:03 PM   #8

I just read through the post and it appears it could be a challange but when my days off come up I will be ready to jump into it with both feet. I will keep the post updated with pictures and progress.....and if I get too frustrated with the job, I have a friend that works at a "big truck" repair facility that has done work for me in the past, and he said they would do it for me, since the owner is familiar with motorhomes and they have worked on mine in the past. They troubleshot a coolant leak, resealed the front wet hubs, checked out the differential level and gave the coach a complete once over before Daytona over the winter. I guess there was no way of predicting the leaking heater core. Although it made it to and back from Daytona (660 miles) and started leaking on our way to Mobile from here in Charleston....I bypassed it and we continued with only having to pour in about 1 gallon of coolant...more to follow.....
Old 03-12-2013, 09:05 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Take photos! Good luck!
Old 03-12-2013, 10:08 PM   #10

ARCADave
Although mine started leaking in November, I still have not tackled the repair, so your instructions/photo's will be appreciated.

I did have mine replaced somewhere around 2005 or 2006, and I've recently talked to the tech that did the replacement. He assured me that all you have to do is remove the fasteners on the front side of the firewall and pull the cover off and then the removal is obvious. I hope it is that simple. He said he did nothing from inside the coach. It sounds like the repair on the Holiday Rambler is a little easier than the post referenced above.

Good luck.

Fred
Old 03-12-2013, 10:35 PM   #11

Yeah I am hopeing that it is easier than previously described. Looking at the plastic box from the front of the coach, it seems like there are lots of little screws that need removed. Some of them are hidden on the far (passenger) side so I may have to remove them blind but hopefully with the help of a mirror and flashlight it might not be as hard as one would expect...(Yeah right) I will post pics as soon as I can and when I figure out how to....
Old 03-13-2013, 12:34 AM   #12

Just another thought before you start disassembling things. Last year, I was convinced our heater core was leaking. Even had coolant making itself present on the outside of the coach underneath the floor area. Did a forum search for tips, advice, etc. After gaining access to the core under the dash, I tightened the various hose clamps, dried up everything as best I could, fired up the engine....and waited. Wow! Wasn't the core at all. I discovered one original hose clamp connection oozing coolant and another hose leaking slightly just ahead of the clamp. The one leaking slightly had been cut a bit short at the factory, and, over time, it had shrunk a bit and torn a small hole in itself. I replaced all of the various hoses and clamps (since I was in there), replenished the coolant....and held my breath. Happy to say after 4 cycles of this, all was tight and dry.

I pass my experience along because replacing these cores is not cheap. Double check those clamps, hoses and connections first. Just my 2 cents, FWIW.....
Old 03-13-2013, 05:52 AM   #13

Thumbs up

I certainly appreciate your input. This one was dripping rapidly from the drain hole where the AC drains so I was hopeing it was the AC, but we had been driving for 3 hours with the nice toasty heat running. When we stopped for the night, I dipped my finger in and smelled to discover what it was and it was the dreaded coolant. I only see 2 hoses coming into and out of the core box. I snugged them up, even though they were dry. I put in about a quart that leg, and after 7 more hours we stopped to look around and sure enough we added another quart or a little over, By the time we got to Pensacola, we had added about a gallon total. I removed both hoses and connected them together and for the remainder of the trip, about 10 hours the level in the overflow bottle never changed....At least for now the bleeding has stopped but I am betting it was the corre since the hosed were dry....Thanks for the input and you are correct in checking the obvious first for sure!! Take care.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:57 PM   #14

I changed the heater core on a 99 Endeavor when I owned it, a couple of years ago. Its pretty straight forward. Had to remove right headlight bucket to make enough room. I used a dremmel tool to grind off the screw heads, as they were next to impossible to unscrew. Once the bucket is out of the way, I used visegrips on the screws to remove them.

Tags
dash, heater