Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-03-2012, 07:40 AM   #1
D M

Tiffin Owners Club
Removing old carpet

Hi All
First want to say this site is great! Lots of good info. So I want to remove the old carpet and install wood like flooring. I think I want to install Traffic Master Allure Ultra from Home Depot. So I want to hear from the ones that have this in your RV . Or if you put in something better I plan to do it myself
Thanks.
D M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2012, 08:24 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Allure is very easy to install and sure is a huge improvement over carpet. It'been installed for several months and we are happy with it.

If you have a slide that will go over it, you will have to take precautions to avoid scratching it. My slide had nylon skids which worked fine over carpet. Over vinyl it will scratch the h*ll out of it. I removed the 5 small skids and replaced with 6 much larger/longer wood blocks with thick carpet on the bottom.

The carpet is of course much softer, but I felt increasing the area of the skids would reduce the PSI the floor would be subjected to. We also make sure we sweep any sand up before bringing the slide in.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:34 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
I installed it in my MH 3 years ago. Still looks good and was easy to install. There a few joints showing, but that was the installers problem.
Okrver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:35 AM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We love the Allure in our MH. Much easier to keep clean. Be prepared for many staples in the floor. I bought a pair of long needle nose pliers from harbor freight that made the process easier.
Old 11-08-2012, 12:59 AM   #5

I would suggest you to visit Natural Home Rugs best for all types of rugs and carpet, you can find very lovely stair treads carpet over there. Before Christmas make your home look beautiful.
HarrisCharle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:07 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
Allure is very easy to install and sure is a huge improvement over carpet. It'been installed for several months and we are happy with it.

If you have a slide that will go over it, you will have to take precautions to avoid scratching it. My slide had nylon skids which worked fine over carpet. Over vinyl it will scratch the h*ll out of it. I removed the 5 small skids and replaced with 6 much larger/longer wood blocks with thick carpet on the bottom.

The carpet is of course much softer, but I felt increasing the area of the skids would reduce the PSI the floor would be subjected to. We also make sure we sweep any sand up before bringing the slide in.
I am interested in doing the same. How hard was it removing the old skids and installing the new longer ones?
ajm12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:48 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
It was very easy on mine. The dinette area had 3 skids mounted on a metal bracket that screwed into the dinette horizonally. Just removed those.

Under the sofa, 2 nylon skids were screwed in from the bottom up. I just pried them off. While taking the old skids off, I left blocking under the slide high enough to except the new skids.

I had some 1/4" hard maple sheeting left over from another project. I used that for the new skids gluing carpet to them. Then with Gorilla glue on the other side, set them in place. Then just lowered the slide onto them and let sit for 24 hrs. A crowbar and blocks of wood worked well raising and lowering the face of the slide.

Some people are using these with success. I didn't like the price and the need to store them.

http://www.rvupgradestore.com/Slide-...-p/14-8151.htm
Old 11-08-2012, 07:18 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by clyon51 View Post
It was very easy on mine. The dinette area had 3 skids mounted on a metal bracket that screwed into the dinette horizonally. Just removed those.

Under the sofa, 2 nylon skids were screwed in from the bottom up. I just pried them off. While taking the old skids off, I left blocking under the slide high enough to except the new skids.

I had some 1/4" hard maple sheeting left over from another project. I used that for the new skids gluing carpet to them. Then with Gorilla glue on the other side, set them in place. Then just lowered the slide onto them and let sit for 24 hrs. A crowbar and blocks of wood worked well raising and lowering the face of the slide.

Some people are using these with success. I didn't like the price and the need to store them.

Slide-Out Slicker Protectors

Yes i have seen those. What position was your slide in when you lifted it up to remove the skids. (all the way in, all the way out or in between.)
Old 11-08-2012, 07:23 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
I used Allure in a previous motorhome. Installation was a breeze after pulling millions of staples! The finished product looked great and wore very well.

One word of advice, check the plywood sub-floor carefully filling in any large holes. Unlike carpet, the Allure will show any unfilled, major indentations.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Monarch 007.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	263.4 KB
ID:	28895  
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 07:27 AM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
I had it all the way out, shy about 2". There is plenty of safe give to make all the necessary adjustments in any position.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:29 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thanks i am going to give it a try.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:50 AM   #12
D M

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajm12 View Post
Thanks i am going to give it a try.
Hi Al I have removed the carpet that was not to bad it did not have a lot of staples .The hard part was removing the the hard wood in the kitchen when they made the coach all the carpet and wood floors are down and then they put in counters ect. So I had to cut the carpet and wood floor around the counters. As for the slide I removed all three inside rails the top and both sides moved the slide all the way out and put a 2x12 under the slide close to the coach on the out side and used my Airplane jacks to put under the 2x12 and jack it up the top will exit the coach and you have plenty of room under the slide to remove carpet and staples I am waiting on my flooring come in should be here on Tue. So far it has been fun. I think if I can build a Airplane out of wood get in and fly it I can replace the flooring I hope.
Old 11-09-2012, 06:54 AM   #13
D M

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim28730 View Post
I used Allure in a previous motorhome. Installation was a breeze after pulling millions of staples! The finished product looked great and wore very well.

One word of advice, check the plywood sub-floor carefully filling in any large holes. Unlike carpet, the Allure will show any unfilled, major indentations.
Hi Jim that looks nice I hope mine looks that good!
Old 11-09-2012, 07:10 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim28730 View Post

Very nice job!
Kristyn is offline   Reply With Quote