Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-08-2012, 03:59 PM   #1
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Removing scratches from full-body paint?

Our MH has full-body paint and shortly after we got it I got too close to some tree limbs on the side and put a long scratch down the side. Anyone have a good way to remove the scratch without messing up the paint?
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-08-2012, 04:08 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Our MH has full-body paint and shortly after we got it I got too close to some tree limbs on the side and put a long scratch down the side. Anyone have a good way to remove the scratch without messing up the paint?
Hire the little Mexican guy named Frankie at Lagoon's RV Park in Rock Port, TX. I had one similar to what you describe and he used a rubbing compound and presto, GONE.
Mine was up high and I don't do ladders so Frankie was the ticket . Typically though a good rubbing compound will do the trick with some elbow grease.
Old 09-08-2012, 04:51 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
DO NOT use "rubbing" compound,it is way too coarse,it will rough up the finish. You may use some polishing compound or some cleaner wax and so on...
Siggy
siggyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 05:34 PM   #4

It really depends on how deep the scratch goes. If it's just into the clear coat, POLISHING compound should take it out. If it goes into or through the color coat, you're going to need a repaint. A good paint man should be able to tell you by looking at it.
Pigman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:16 PM   #5

We had several Monacos, and they had a real thick clear coat. So, using McGuiars rubbing compound by hand, I was able to polish out most of a tree scratch. Ten minutes work will get out a fair amount of the problem. It certainly won't look perfect close up, but from five feet away you will be happy.
mgtr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:12 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
As stated earlier don't use rubbing compound. It is the equivalent of 2000 grit sand paper. If you get to aggressive and cut through the clear coat and into the paint coat you are toast and will need to repaint

First take a look at the scratch and see if it looks milky. If it's milky then it is just in the clear coat and will come out with some elbow grease. Use a quality polishing compound and, if possible, an orbital polisher with an orange sponge pad.

If you don't have access to an orbital polisher then do it by hand. Work the polish in an oval pattern. Work the polish for 20 to 30 seconds and then wipe it off. If the scratch is still there do it again and again until the scratch is gone.
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:06 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

All good advice above.

Any of the products sold as scratch removers for a car will also work on your coach with full body paint. You can find them in auto parts stores or the auto dept at Walmart, Kmart, etc.

If you need to use a coarser polishing compound to get the scratch out, you will have to follow up with finer grade polishes until the swirls/scratches from the compound are also removed. Scratch remover kits usually come with both coarse and fine grade polishes and maybe some ultra-fine sandpaper as well (used only on deep scratches that cut into the paint layer).
Gary RVRoamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:10 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
I have used some paste J-Wax if the scratches are not too deep. May take several applications because it does not go "deep" each time. If that does not do the job adequately, then use "polishing compound" NOT rubbing compound. J-Was and others make a scratch remover which is not too abrasive but may work also.
cutrell01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 03:06 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Everyone is correct! DO NOT USE RUBBING COMPOUND! You will damage the clear coat. A polishing compound followed by a good grade of caranuba wax and a orbital buffer is about all you can do. Even if you have to go to the paint guy the cost is not terribly prohibitive. Good luck polishing!!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:04 PM   #10
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks for the advice everyone! Sounds like the polishing compound is the way to go. I'll pick up some tommorrow!
Old 09-09-2012, 06:35 PM   #11
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I just looked in my shop and found a bottle of Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. It says "clear coat safe" and "obsoletes traditional rubbing and polishing compounds". Anybody ever used this?
Old 09-09-2012, 07:58 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
I just looked in my shop and found a bottle of Meguiar's Ultimate Compound. It says "clear coat safe" and "obsoletes traditional rubbing and polishing compounds". Anybody ever used this?
Not here, could be okay, you have a large investment in your coach an if your like the majority of rv'ers you like to look good! Face it, it is what we can do best at this point In life. Why not talk to a good body shop guy get his opinion and follow it ? I am sure there are many folks that will way in on their experiences most will be great input. A body guy needs to look and feel the depth of intrusion. Then he, she can make an evaluation. If it is not a serious issue with the appearance a good wax polish and orbital will make the scratches look good from a distance! Good luck!
Clayobx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:03 PM   #13

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Joe, I just looked at it on-line and I think if you go slow and use a foam hand pad or a orbital polisher with an orange pad you will be fine. Speed is not your friend when it comes to polishing out scratches and swirl marks from clear coat finishes. The clear coat thickness and number of coats varies by company / painter so go slow and check your progress often. Just make sure you apply and rub in an orbital pattern.

Meguiar's makes excellent products.
62_inrightlane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 08:07 PM   #14

Send a message via Skype™ to larrymck
Smile Costco has Scratch Repair Sticks for about $19.00

I just bought some stuff at Costco for about $19.00, it's Dupont scratch repair sticks, 3 of them in a package. Hopefully I can try a scratch on my mh and see how it comes out. My Mh is a 2005 fleetwood full body paint. It was scratched the day I bought it down one side about 10 ft long. I used mcguires and got most of it out, but still have about a 4 ft scratch remaining. I was thinking of just waiting about 5 years, then I will not be able to see the scratch.
larrymck is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint