Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-06-2018, 06:06 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Removing Ugly Diamond Shield or 3M Film

So I bought a 2006 Holiday Rambler class A diesel pusher motorhome. It is in really good shape for being 13 years old.It only has 37k miles. One of the things I have learned since becoming an RV owner is that around 2003 they started putting a really thick clear film on the front of these big busses to keep rocks and bugs from chipping the paint. The front ends on these things are HUGE!!My windshield is 4’ tall and 8’ wide!!!The Diamond Shield or 3M product was an expensive option that most people wanted so they could keep the front of their expensive investment looking good. However, �� they didn’t quite have the formula right and after a few years in the sun they started yellowing and cracking which looked awful!!After 13 years it looked hideous. ��. This is why the previous owner put a very expensive custom made bra on the front of the coach.This looked good and covered the mess of the Diamond Shield. However after almost 10 years the bra had started to look a little worn and the clear plastic covers for the headlights had yellowed as well. I started looking for a solution on the internet and found a few companies that specialized in the removal of the Diamond Shield or 3M product.Price ranged from $750 to about $2200.Some companies didn’t even gaurentee the paint wouldn’t be damaged!!! ��. So I bought a $399 pressure washer.3300 PSI at 2.4 gallons per minute.I used the yellow nozzle and fired it up.The results were amazing!Watch the video and you’ll see how good it looks now. Maybe this will keep Crystal happy a little while longer while I save to buy the new one she wants.... um, I mean that she deserves.

See video here.....
https://youtu.be/G9W6RaZ-pXE
EZRider800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-06-2018, 06:15 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
no video
Old 04-06-2018, 06:26 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kustom View Post
no video
Video was too large so I had to post it on YouTube and give the link so you can watch it. First time I've tried to post a video here and on YouTube as well.
Old 04-06-2018, 06:35 PM   #4

Wow fantastic your MH looks great. Any chance you could record yourself while pressure washing a small section like you showed in this video. Is there any clear coat under the 3M product your removing? If not then you'll have the raw paint exposed to the elements. If this is the case why not just replace the front cover with a new one and protect your paint.
keger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 06:36 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Works good, now.

Thanks.

Take care,
Stu
Old 04-06-2018, 06:43 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by keger View Post
Wow fantastic your MH looks great. Any chance you could record yourself while pressure washing a small section like you showed in this video. Is there any clear coat under the 3M product your removing? If not then you'll have the raw paint exposed to the elements. If this is the case why not just replace the front cover with a new one and protect your paint.
I was thinking of having a new Diamond Shield or 3M film installed after I get the old crap off. I see they are offering a Lifetime Warranty now.
Or I may just wax it real good and see how it does. I can't tell if the paint on the coach is single stage or base/clear. All I know is that it looks 1000% better than it did!!!
Old 04-06-2018, 08:17 PM   #7

Wow that's a understatement your MH looks fantastic. Good job.
keger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:02 PM   #8
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Great job. Thanks for the video!
TonyDi is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 09:04 PM   #9

Tiffin Owners Club
Wow, that really is going to look great.

Please post up some pics, when the job is complete, can't wait to see the whole front end looking new again.
Old 04-06-2018, 10:53 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
First time I've seen someone suggest using a pressure washer to get the 3M removed.

Looks like a good idea.

Have you completed it yet?

I have a Honda power washer and do a lot of fences and concrete patios. Sure makes life easy.
Arch Hoagland is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 05:57 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to Ivylog
Does it take the glue off too???
Ivylog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 01:45 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
One of the guys in the Monaco forum originally suggested a pressure washer.
I also purchased the 3300psi washer from Costco. I cut the film first pointing the nozzle directly at the surface in a zig-zag pattern, then on the second pass at an angle removes it. It does leave a thin film of glue, but it comes off without too much effort. This method is much better than a heat gun and razor blades. You must have at least 3000psi and a 0 degree nozzle.
If your paint is not already cracked and dented it will not remove paint.
vito.a is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 06:11 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Hoagland View Post
First time I've seen someone suggest using a pressure washer to get the 3M removed.

Looks like a good idea.

Have you completed it yet?

I have a Honda power washer and do a lot of fences and concrete patios. Sure makes life easy.
I'm not finished yet. I worked about 2 hours yesterday afternoon but for some reason the weather has gotten cold here. It's in the mid 40's so being wet in these temps make it REALLY COLD!!! I'm about half finished. The pressure washer is making EZ work of the removal. I'll post some more pics later. Maybe another video as well.
Old 04-07-2018, 06:14 PM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivylog View Post
Does it take the glue off too???
Yes it does. There are a few places that I think might take a little 3M adhesive remover or maybe it will need to be washed and waxed. Not sure yet. The pressure washer is blasting the stuff off real easily but residue is being blown all over the place, including my hair and also on the front of the coach. It wipes right off with my hand so I think washing the front end with a brush will be all it needs. I'll let you know................