Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-11-2011, 07:00 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
I completely agree on NOT renting.

However, I was shocked at what they rent for:

Private Motorhome Rentals
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-11-2011, 07:00 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
We did it and suffered the losses

Back in the 80's we had a 35 foot Itasca. I became ill and was sick for months with no end in site. I'll shorten the story...

We didn't know what would happen. The coach was just sitting in storage. We saw an ad in the newspaper that said a company would rent your unused coach to a person who would make the payments for the rent. They were to check their credit and have them pay $5,000 to start the rental. We had a contract that covered us if it was damaged or if the payments were not paid.

Everything went fine for several months and then the renter started missing payments. We tried to get the coach back, but the renter took it to some unknown location. The loan company hired a firm to track it down and found that it was extremely damaged and had been in several accidents. When we attempted to collect from the rental company, we found that, without our knowledge, the rental firm was bankrupt. We were stuck with paying the loan that was left without ever getting the motorhome back because it had been virtually destroyed. It wasn't even drivable. In an attempt to evade the repo guys, the renter had driven over curbs and sideswiped trees, etc. The Attorney General prosecuted the rental company because so many people like us ended up losing their coaches. The prosecution didn't help us any. We would never do that again even if we couldn't use it for some reason. We should have just sold it at the time. NO...don't rent it out!
Old 01-11-2011, 07:06 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
38 spec I'm in Prattville , search those around ewe in Birmingham , like 3500 a week and 140 miles a day
JackHammr' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:13 PM   #18
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
The voice of experience = azloafer. If anyone would even consider renting out their RV, his story should all but put a lid on the matter. Thanks for sharing.

Lori-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:18 PM   #19

I rented before I bought what I thought we wanted both from dealers and private parties but I always retuned the unit cleaner than what I started off with
Old 01-11-2011, 07:29 PM   #20

I let my sister use mine last winter. I drove it to the campground she wanted and set it up.I went back a week later and drove it back home.
bldrbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:44 PM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Renting

Quote:
Originally Posted by 38 Special View Post
I completely agree on NOT renting.

However, I was shocked at what they rent for:

Private Motorhome Rentals

WOW you could pay off the coach fast.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:45 PM   #22

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackHammr' View Post
aint renting no Harley to no stankin' wanger
Don't worry, I would not ride it, I would re-rent it. $$$$$
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 07:49 PM   #23

Fleetwood Owners Club
Rent it? Hell I won't let my family use it. Sorry but it is just to much risk and money to let someone use my stuff.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:09 PM   #24
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rental

I used to own a MH Rental company.............. No way would I rent my own MH out.......... I'm so happy, that I'm out of that business

TW
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 06:04 AM   #25

Monaco Owners Club
I'm also with the no rent crowd. Used to rent out apartments and had enough trouble with that. Accidental damages were the biggest issue. When I think back to our first months of RVing and how close we came to making silly mistakes *despite* the fact that we were being very careful I would shudder to think what someone else with less care might do. Even with our current experience we've managed to make idiotic mistakes that have cost us. RVs just have too much that can go wrong and repairs are way too expensive.
Old 01-12-2011, 06:04 AM   #26

Vintage RV Owners Club
The dealership I worked for rented Motor homes and trailers for owners. Personally, after seeing the condition some of the units came back in I would never rent out my motor home. I've fixed drawer fronts and cupboard doors, carpets that were stained, that have been torn off, rear bumper covers the were ripped off, rescued units that have been left on the side of the road and emptied holding tanks that were on the verge of over flowing. Get my point ? It sounds like easy money, but trust me it ain't !
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 09:11 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Firstly, I would check out my insurance policy. A lot of them won't provide insurance for anyone outside of the owner's immediate family. That helps me answer the question when someone asks if they can "use" it.
johnsonjm209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 08:03 AM   #28

Newmar Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I guess if you are OK with renting your stick house out to strangers and have someone else sleep in YOUR bed, then you would be OK with renting your mobile house. ME - NO WAY! If you are considering, re-read AZ's story again.