Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2018, 07:36 AM   #1

Renting out your motorhome?

Anyone out there have any experience renting out there MH? I'm considering renting out our Winnebago DP through an agency called RV Share. Would appreciate any good/bad experiences...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2018, 07:41 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by WallaceWagon View Post
Anyone out there have any experience renting out there MH? I'm considering renting out our Winnebago DP through an agency called RV Share. Would appreciate any good/bad experiences...
I've been renting our 4 campers through RVShare and about 80% of the time I've had good experiences. There's always that 20% that will trash and stain your camper. With my RV, one person drove with the steps down and the door open while backing up and damaged them. Another person smoked marijuana and left liquor stains on the couch. I've found used condoms and dirty underwear. If you don't care too much, I say do it. But if you treasure your beloved RV just be careful who you rent to.
mcarden75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:09 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarden75 View Post
I've been renting our 4 campers through RVShare and about 80% of the time I've had good experiences. There's always that 20% that will trash and stain your camper. With my RV, one person drove with the steps down and the door open while backing up and damaged them. Another person smoked marijuana and left liquor stains on the couch. I've found used condoms and dirty underwear. If you don't care too much, I say do it. But if you treasure your beloved RV just be careful who you rent to.
Never, Never, never
Old 05-11-2018, 08:21 AM   #4

I am assuming that if you start renting your RV, your insurance now has to be for a commercial endeavor and not just private use, which I would assume will raise the rates substantially. In addition, I believe many warranties are based on private use and not commercial use. Income would be taxable. Lots of things to think about.

I keep our MH loaded up and ready to go....for US! No way in a million years would I rent it out to strangers. To each his own, but it would not be for me.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:22 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Nope. Not without a $250,000 cash deposit.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 08:35 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
That's one thing I learned after these rentals. People don't care if it's not there's and some people don't even care if it's there's. It's sad but true.
Old 05-11-2018, 08:58 AM   #7

Never happen.......I like my stuff....
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:18 AM   #8

This was discussed just recently:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/renti...rv-390356.html

Bottom line was that if you're OK with the risk of some renters not treating your stuff well like mcarden75 said, go for it. Otherwise, steer clear.
MapleKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 09:50 AM   #9

Never on renting, I would sell first.
Outbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:00 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by MapleKing View Post
This was discussed just recently:

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f59/renti...rv-390356.html

Bottom line was that if you're OK with the risk of some renters not treating your stuff well like mcarden75 said, go for it. Otherwise, steer clear.
The biggest problem regarding to renting out your camper of any class is quicker deterioration of constant mishandling. Big companies have the ability for expensive maintenance. When you are private, it will get very expensive and this is why I learned repairing myself. Steps alone can run between 300-450, furniture reupholstering can run in the hundreds, and for class a, b, and c being more wear and tear then a private use. Tires alone can run in the 1000s. You weigh your options and see what you can afford. Plus RVShare will take care of the renters but not the owners. I had to replace my own steps because the renter said they were damaged already. Even with pictures they took the renters side. That's why I gave the 80% positive because of the extra income. Just be prepared to lessen the value of your camper at an expedited rate.
Old 05-11-2018, 11:51 AM   #11
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
I would rather swallow rusty razor blades.

Yes you an make money doing it but it only takes ONE renter to ruin your MH. Almost no one takes care of anything rented.
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 11:54 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDi View Post
I would rather swallow rusty razor blades.

Yes you an make money doing it but it only takes ONE renter to ruin your MH. Almost no one takes care of anything rented.
I've witnessed this first hand and cost me a little I've a thousand on repairs.
Old 05-11-2018, 12:05 PM   #13

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
$750k (if I like them)...$1 mill if I don't...
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 05:38 PM   #14

Do a search and you will find this subject has been talked about several times. Most... or nearly all would never rent out their RV.
MO Fred is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motorhome