Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2015, 05:13 PM   #15

Never in a million years. To many things to go wrong.

2009 Safari Cheetah 40'
350 HP Cat
2014 Ford Focus
Air Force One

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2015, 06:01 PM   #16

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
NEVER NEVER EVER for me.

I was the one who posted:

You want to borrow my what????.

You might want to read that.

Old 10-27-2015, 06:01 PM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
Another point of view...

I'm one of those people who is dying to rent a very nice Class A, because we want to make sure one will work with our future plans (I'm talking 45' with tag, DP, etc). We're very fanatical about our home and vehicles, too.

I'm hearing the common complaint of "things got broken/damaged/came back dirty" There are a couple of key things to stop or sharply reduce that being an issue.
  • Mandatory walk through of all systems with sign off (You didn't just jump in and drive away when you got your unit, did you?)
  • Reference book with instructions on operating all systems (Can you remember how to turn on the Aquahot heating after only using it in summer?)
  • Requiring them to provide you with a rider on their insurance company.
  • Require a minimum number of days for at least the first rental

We had to provide a credit card imprint and sign a statement that we authorize them to charge us for any repair, including transportation charges, for anything that was damaged due to missuse. Note that some things will inevitably break during a renters use (they break when you use your coach, right?), you just need clear wording that takes out the "I don't give a damn" aspect out of it.

I really wish we could develop a (trusted) relationship with a nice Class A owner who realizes we'd treat their coach as well, if not better than they do...and pay them for the privilege to use it. I'm I guaranteeing them there won't be an accident or that something won't break while under my care? No, but I'm promising I'll take responsibility for it (If it's my fault).

There's clearly a universe of some owners who don't want anyone else in their coach, and I respect that. But I really believe there are others that find it very beneficial ~ especially if they gain a "frequent, known renter" who may evolve to be the one that purchases their coach down the line!

Just my thoughts...
Mark
Old 10-27-2015, 06:16 PM   #18

There's just way too much to go wrong with any large RV. Complex systems and learning curves to operate those systems. Even with the best of intentions, I wouldn't trust any renter. My advice: go buy your own RV the way the rest of us did.
Old 10-27-2015, 06:22 PM   #19

I think the FMCA officers that approved that email going out about renting out your RV should rent theirs out for a while, and then do an article on just how it all worked out for THEM.
Betr2Trvl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 06:29 PM   #20
RV Nut

Newmar Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Not a snowballs chance in you know where would I ever rent my MH out! Eek!!! I can only think of a million bad things that could happen.

2015 Newmar Ventana 4037 - All Electric
2012 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon TOAD
newmarpusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 07:35 PM   #21

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarpusher View Post
Not a snowballs chance in you know where would I ever rent my MH out! Eek!!! I can only think of a million bad things that could happen.
'You know where' would have to freeze over at least a couple of times before I would ever consider renting our motor coach to anyone.

Jim
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 07:44 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
I think the FMCA officers that approved that email going out about renting out your RV should rent theirs out for a while, and then do an article on just how it all worked out for THEM.
Maybe this will come at the January Rally in Indio. Bet it will.

As for the previous poster who really would like to rent a motorhome...I feel your pain. About 40 years ago when we first considered RVing we looked around for a clean rental, but one could not be found. We ended up purchasing our first Rig, an Establishment Class C, had a wonderful time with it for many years.
But to paraphrase President Reagan: Nobody washes a rental car.
I let my family use the motorhome because what is mine is theirs, they know it, and they care for it as if it were fully theirs.
My best friend, not so much.
Happy Trails.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:00 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Right after I got mine used class A myself with my sons help we were going over it and replacing decades and a friend who got laid off wanted to help so I said fine but I will pay you for your work. Being unemployed he needed the money. Well after a couple of weeks going over it he decided he wanted to take it out on a trip. And I looked at him and told him my kids can't drive this and me and my DW hasn't taken on a trip yet. Well he said that is why he was helping me and I told him no I paid you for your work at a higher then normal rate. Well he took off and about 2 hours later my wife got a call on her cell and it was our friend but he butt dialed my wife. Well he called me every name in the book and even said bad things about my DW. And she really got hurt about the things he said. Well next day I went to the RV to work on it and Tim showed up to help and I told him I just have a little to do on it. He started again about using it again and I told him sorry but no. Then I told him about his butt dial and it got quite and started to back peddling on what he said. Then I told him she put it on speaker so I can hear. That was the last time I have seen him or talked to him. So now only myself and son works on the beast. Oh yea my son is 41 yo. And yes I let my son used it once and he puts money in it.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 10-27-2015, 08:21 PM   #24

There is no way I would ever rent out my coach. It took me a lot of time to figure out all the systems and I am very careful with it. I cannot imagine renting my coach to someone that does not have one and that I do not know. That situation is just a disaster wasting to happen.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:33 PM   #25

Rented my coach once to someone I knew, came back with both front shock studs busted off.

Had another friend loose his wife and kids in a car accident, setup the coach so his wife's parents had a place to stay for the funeral; never did get the smoke smell out of it.

Never again
Old 10-27-2015, 08:46 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSJC View Post
Another point of view...

I'm one of those people who is dying to rent a very nice Class A, because we want to make sure one will work with our future plans (I'm talking 45' with tag, DP, etc). We're very fanatical about our home and vehicles, too.

I'm hearing the common complaint of "things got broken/damaged/came back dirty" There are a couple of key things to stop or sharply reduce that being an issue.
  • Mandatory walk through of all systems with sign off (You didn't just jump in and drive away when you got your unit, did you?)
  • Reference book with instructions on operating all systems (Can you remember how to turn on the Aquahot heating after only using it in summer?)
  • Requiring them to provide you with a rider on their insurance company.
  • Require a minimum number of days for at least the first rental

We had to provide a credit card imprint and sign a statement that we authorize them to charge us for any repair, including transportation charges, for anything that was damaged due to missuse. Note that some things will inevitably break during a renters use (they break when you use your coach, right?), you just need clear wording that takes out the "I don't give a damn" aspect out of it.

I really wish we could develop a (trusted) relationship with a nice Class A owner who realizes we'd treat their coach as well, if not better than they do...and pay them for the privilege to use it. I'm I guaranteeing them there won't be an accident or that something won't break while under my care? No, but I'm promising I'll take responsibility for it (If it's my fault).

There's clearly a universe of some owners who don't want anyone else in their coach, and I respect that. But I really believe there are others that find it very beneficial ~ especially if they gain a "frequent, known renter" who may evolve to be the one that purchases their coach down the line!

Just my thoughts...
Mark
Call one of the companies linked in the original post and rent one of their Class A's.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2015, 08:52 PM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro View Post
I rented out my MH about 20 years ago and I will never do it again. First we had to remove all our personal possessions which is time consuming. The renter was going to dry camp at a large rally. The fuel pump failed and the 2 A fuse blew on the mother board. The user replaced the fuse with a 10 A fuse and burned out the mother board. When we got the MH back it was dirty and needed cleaning. I took the coach into a Cummins/Onan shop and It cost me more to repair it than I received in rent. After my DW finished the cleaning we both decided Never Again.
Don
This is the reality. I have had a MH rental which worked out well but would not do it with a diesel pusher. As the owner you are responsible for repairs like this on the road and it is NEVER the result of something stupid the renter did! At least that's what they claim.
Old 10-27-2015, 09:40 PM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I love the thread "YOU WANT TO BORROW MY WHAT?"

NEVER EVER would we rent or lend out our MH ... Not to a stranger, family or friends!!! If someone wants to try out a Class A, go drive one and then research it and buy it like the rest of us did. NO ONE will ever take care of OUR MH like we do ... NO ONE!

Tags
class a