Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-28-2015, 07:03 PM   #43

Newmar Owners Club
The simplest "Letter" in our language in the USA is the letter "A"...........The next easiest word to " Understand" in our American language is "NO"............If you have to rent it , you should not bought it. If you are looking to rent it to make money..........Have fun! Hope it works out for you.........

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2015, 09:13 PM   #44

I,ll rent under the following terms:
1) I drive
2] I,ll even start campfire
3] i supply BBQ , lawn chairs ..........everything needed
4] You can take pictures, sight see , relax.
5] Don't like Willie or Jerry Jeff ? keep mitts off stereo

Rate is $4000 per day. Max two passenger. Mininum charge 15 days. Want personalized service like a rock star ? Buck up or buy your own.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:32 PM   #45

Renting your Class A

I would NEVER let anyone else use our motor home. We spent a lot of time learning all of its systems, how it drives, how to properly care for it, etc., etc.

To turn it over to someone who knows NOTHING about is absolutely insane. In plain English...it ain't gonna happen...ever.

2006 Mandalay 40E, Cummins ISL 400 HP
Old 10-28-2015, 09:39 PM   #46

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
I have another point of view.
Hypothetical of course. Suppose I had a multi 100,000 dollar class A I was willing to rent to you for 2 weeks so you could decide if you wanted to purchase a class A and join the ranks of RV owners.
I would be responsible for preparing it for your use by emptying it and cleaning it and making sure all systems are fully functional when you pick it up.
How many dollars per day would you consider a "fair for all parties" rate for you to pay to use my motorhome?
Lynn
First off I wouldn't do it at all, but I'd consider it (for about 10 seconds) starting at $4,000 a week with a cash down payment of NADA high retail.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 06:36 AM   #47

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
reading this thread i would say most of you would rent out your first born before your Class A motohome.
Fleetwood Bounder 35K 2016, Ford V-10, F53(2015 chassis),RayZor HD, Wineguard Dish SAT, Roadmaster -- steering Stabilizer, Front & rear Sway Bars, SCT 5 Star tuner, Tireminder TM66 TPMS, Banks Ram Air intake, EZE Tow Dolly
Dennis Dean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 07:20 AM   #48

Newmar Owners Club
We can drink (cocktails): 8
Feed: 6
Sleep: 4
Sleep: 2 (preferred)
Rent to: 0
Old 10-29-2015, 08:38 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis Dean View Post
reading this thread i would say most of you would rent out your first born before your Class A motohome.
Yup, that about sums it up.
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 08:57 AM   #50

Entegra Owners Club
There is a company or two out there that does rent Class A DPs...most of their inventory is about 7-8 years old. And the cost is a minimum of $5000 a week, and up! My guess is most people would balk at paying that price or higher.

So if you want to try out a Class A DP, there is a path.

The FMCA email is interesting for what it is and if you go to the site, there are a number of listings. Late model DPs (2011 and 2012s like Newmar Dutchstar) at 1100-1200 a night). Given what you see in this thread, it would appear that most owners would not support FMCA entertaining this type of advertisement; also, what is missing is what is the cut of the company that is going to handle all this admin for your coach...bet it is on the order of 50-60% of the nightly cost. In a word...NO WAY...and JMHO, shame on FMCA for backing and trying to profit from this it as it doesn't appear to be the kind of thing the vast majority of their owners would do.
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 01:59 PM   #51

Soon to be on both sides!

Interesting reading.

My wife and I have rented Class A's a couple of times and it was great. In fact, we rented because we weren't sure about a purchase. Well, we are finalizing our Class A purchase now and we talked about possibly putting it into a rental program (I can hear everyone now - "NOOOOOOOOOoooooo!"), but reading this thread has me convinced not to.

My wife and I rented because she can't fly and we have dogs! We only rented the top of the line Class A for ride comfort and overall comfort.

I completely freaked the rental company owner out when I came to pick up the 42'er the first time and she asked me about my experience driving these - I said, I haven't ever driven one (which was true) and she just about passed out. I explained to her that I am used to driving truck/trailer set-ups of 56' or more...that made her feel better.

Anyways, no issues and we took extremely good care of the coach, but when we returned, I had to tease her one more time. She asked if there were any issues - I said, "No, not really, but there is a really loud wind noise around the windshield at 85 mph."

She just about passed out again!

I laughed and laughed and she saw I was joking, but she couldn't be sure since I drive race cars for a hobby and we had just come back from a week long trip to the race track for an event.

My wife and dog loved it - got to camp right in the middle of the track and we got a trackside spot so she could watch me race and still have access to the pits and garages!

We are finalizing our first MH purchase! A 2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 4528!

Looking forward to our new adventure with a motorhome!!

I plan on looking to all of you for advice!
Old 10-29-2015, 02:20 PM   #52

Winnebago Owners Club
Sure I would rent ours.

Rules;
No pets
No smoking
No people
No driving
No parking

Sorry rules are a bit punitive but there are too many variables for failure involved.

Our son has suggested that he or his sister could borrow it. We let him use the house one winter while we were snow birding. His mother came close to killing him for how he used the house. Camping gear on the white leather furniture, air tanks on the beige living room rug. This is in the home he was raised in and knowing exactly how his mother takes care of stuff and that it was all new.

Can just imagine how the MH would be used when in a campground or dry camping. Sends shivers down the back.

His motto seems to be drive it like you stole it so he and his sister will have to wait until they inherit whatever is left when we pass on.

Now if you could be absolutely assured that they would use it like you would or better then . . . . maybe!!! But most likely not.
Old 10-30-2015, 12:09 PM   #53

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
I have another point of view.
Hypothetical of course. Suppose I had a multi 100,000 dollar class A I was willing to rent to you for 2 weeks so you could decide if you wanted to purchase a class A and join the ranks of RV owners.
I would be responsible for preparing it for your use by emptying it and cleaning it and making sure all systems are fully functional when you pick it up.
How many dollars per day would you consider a "fair for all parties" rate for you to pay to use my motorhome?
Lynn
Excellent question! Depending upon the coach and the year/amenities, etc. I'd be comfortable paying $400 ~ $800 per night. Is that expensive? Yes and no. We've stayed in some very high end hotels and paid that, but I also enables us to take a long "test drive" before plunking down hundreds of thousands of dollars on a coach we may...or may not like in the long run! This price point would also (hopefully) eliminate those people who just want to trash is (and if they do...they probably have the means to pay for the damage!).

Mark
Old 10-30-2015, 01:24 PM   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkofSJC View Post
Excellent question! Depending upon the coach and the year/amenities, etc. I'd be comfortable paying $400 ~ $800 per night. Is that expensive? Yes and no. We've stayed in some very high end hotels and paid that, but I also enables us to take a long "test drive" before plunking down hundreds of thousands of dollars on a coach we may...or may not like in the long run! This price point would also (hopefully) eliminate those people who just want to trash is (and if they do...they probably have the means to pay for the damage!).

Mark
Uh Oh! Now that you have thrown numbers out there like that let's see how many reconsider and call you with an offer to rent their MH. LOL
I think your numbers are probably in the ball park of reality but I am not sure someone will bite. No, I'm not in the running. No offense meant.
BTW, where do you live?
Lynn
Old 10-30-2015, 03:32 PM   #55

With regards to renting a MH as part of the buying process.......

We ordered our Tiffin 31SA last Dec., and took delivery in March. It is our first RV, but we both spent a lot of time on big sailboats and when I was a kid we had both a tent and pop up for a few years.

As we were going through the decision process, renting a MH was of course a thought and several people asked us if we were going to rent one....... And we actually found a local place that rented both Cs and As. But, we came to the following conclusions about renting as it relates to buy an RV.

Whatever we rented was not (probably) going to be like what we wanted to buy (floor plan, etc).

There was going to be a big learning curve that one trip (let's assume a week or so), would not be enough to be really relevant, particularly to whatever we actually ended up with.

Wherever we ended up staying for that trip may or may not be representative of what we would actually encounter long term (good, bad, or otherwise).

Given the above, we said forget it. Let's jump in, buy what we want, and just do it.

What we have learned since then (6000 miles, and about 120 nights on the road).

Our 3 points above were generally correct.

Our previous experiences were generally relevant, indludng the expectation that living in a Class A was going to way more comfortable than any offshore sailboat we had ever sailed on. And, that traveling in a MH, while having its moments, is not nearly as perilous as sailing can be.

The learning curve is HUGE, a week or 2 is just going to show you the tip of the iceburg, and can, at times be a bit of a challenge, and can provide some laughs (later after the cussing).

Campgrounds do vary, but in general we have been pleased with what we have found.

So in short, at least from our new experiences this year, not really sure that renting a MH is going to prove one thing or another as far as any purchasing decision...

And, we are very happy and have had a blast in our new adventures, while being extremely happy with our coach choice, including buying new and ordering exactly what we wanted, buying a gasser, staying with a smaller unit (we still can't picture ourselves in some 40'+DP) and very happy with Tiffin in general.

Regards
Betr2Trvl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 05:47 PM   #56

Betr2travel.
👍👍👍

ChasA is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a