Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-30-2015, 06:24 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Betr2Trvl View Post
With regards to renting a MH as part of the buying process.......

We ordered our Tiffin 31SA last Dec., and took delivery in March. It is our first RV, but we both spent a lot of time on big sailboats and when I was a kid we had both a tent and pop up for a few years.

Whatever we rented was not (probably) going to be like what we wanted to buy (floor plan, etc).
Given the above, we said forget it. Let's jump in, buy what we want, and just do it.

Our 3 points above were generally correct.

Our previous experiences were generally relevant, indludng the expectation that living in a Class A was going to way more comfortable than any offshore sailboat we had ever sailed on. And, that traveling in a MH, while having its moments, is not nearly as perilous as sailing can be.

So in short, at least from our new experiences this year, not really sure that renting a MH is going to prove one thing or another as far as any purchasing decision...

And, we are very happy and have had a blast in our new adventures, while being extremely happy with our coach choice, including buying new and ordering exactly what we wanted, buying a gasser, staying with a smaller unit (we still can't picture ourselves in some 40'+DP) and very happy with Tiffin in general.

Regards
With no previous experience with a Class A Motorhome how did you come to the conclusive decision to order what you wanted? What research did you do to spec a new Motorhome?
This information may be just what someone else needs to have to make their decision.
Lynn

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-30-2015, 07:02 PM   #58

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjohnson01 View Post

We are finalizing our first MH purchase! A 2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 4528!

Looking forward to our new adventure with a motorhome!!

I plan on looking to all of you for advice!
No Kidding. Congratulations. You and I have the exact same year and model. We bought ours last Dec. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. I have already been through a little bit of the learning curve. Not sure what type of motorsport you are into, but that's one more thing we have in common.

Roadmaster Blackhawk 2, RVI2 Brake System
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 06:44 AM   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by LETMGROW View Post
With no previous experience with a Class A Motorhome how did you come to the conclusive decision to order what you wanted? What research did you do to spec a new Motorhome?
This information may be just what someone else needs to have to make their decision.
Lynn

I am going to try to keep this reasonably short, but trying to keep our situation, expectations, and decisions in proper perspective is important because everyone is different.

We are early retirees, younger than most, sold our McMansion last fall as part of this process, and will be moving into a smaller "townhouse" in a few months (finally). I will call us "active" travelers (think hiking, surfing, some light off roading in the Jeep, etc.). The plan is to do extended trips for the foreseeable future and doubt if we would ever go full time, but not saying "never" either, but fully understood that we were (probably) not buying a "full timer" coach to start with.

Our original budget was about $140k, which when this started as more of light conversations, was an Airstream and tow vehicle, that became 5er and 1 ton, before we landed on MH and toad. Yes, we went a bit over budget.........

So given all that, here is how it worked out for us.

35' max length, although we did consider a couple 36s. As I noted before, still can't picture ourselves with a 40'+ DP......

Decided bath and 1/2 may be nice, was really not that important for us. But bath set up was important. We came to like the split bath set up, and the lav. in the 31SA is "huge". I just did not like how you have to step around / over the toilet to use the sink in many baths / lavs.

Queen bed is fine, and we would be able to use some of our home linens that way.

Residential fridge a must, and kitchen had to be very functional as we "eat in" most of the time.

Full body paint became very important, but wasn't even a known consideration when we started. Being able to pick our color was a nice bonus of custom ordering.

Wanted main TV across from main sitting area and an outside TV. Had no interest at all in retro fitting older TVs...... And also realized that how even new TVs were wired in the coach had changed quite a bit over the last few years. Tiffin now uses cat 6 cable off of HDMI converters which has a lot of advantages in a MH given the wiring nuances.

Very quickly determined that a Direct TV Traveler with HD was going to be a must have as well. So buying a unit with a dome was going to be paying for something to throw away, plus having the retro fit. Tiffin has a Traveler pre-wire option.

Interior styling is very personal, and our home has a mid century modern and minimalistic vibe. So that creates a bit of a challenge with RV decor (for both of us)....... By custom ordering we were able to go with cream pleather (no pets), lighter finished cabinets and wood trim (Tiffin's door hardware was actually ok for us), lighter window treatments, counters, and kitchen backsplash. Tiffin's trim in the Allegros is fairly simple, at least relative to some others, which was a plus for us too.

CCC can be an issue on gasser and we were able to upgrade our chassis from 22k standard to 24k, and we ended up with a 3600# CCC. Not going to find any 31SAs on the lot with that, although it is standard on the 32 SA that would have been a viable alternative otherwise. We also ordered Sumo springs which became a factory option for 2015.

In the end, no interest in older DPs that would have fit our budget. Newer used high end gassers simply did not fit the bill and / or provide enough savings vs. ordering exactly what we wanted........

Now, if the budget was $300k, I can certainly see where a nice used Foretravel may be a viable alternative to a new Phaeton or Dutch Star!

Enough for now....... Hope this helps.
Betr2Trvl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2015, 06:57 AM   #60

The show big time RV would make it appealing to a lot of folks renting class c's for $1,500 a week and class A's for $3,000. I bought mine as a toy for me not as a business venture so to each their own.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:02 AM   #61

Betr2Trvl:

I like the decisions you made and admire the homework you did to order the MH with the options and conveniences you desired.
In your research you had determined length, the bath / shower arrangement, bed size, fridge type, paint scheme, TV position, Satellite receiver type, CCC, and knowing there were heavier chassis options available.
I have owned tow behinds and a class C before buying my class A. We started camping in 1976. I had an idea what I wanted going into my search for a class A.
In your situation it sounds as though you had very little previous experience with the RV world.
What may be useful to others who are starting to search for the perfect RV is if you would share where you learned enough about RVs and their systems to determine what to order and what not to bother with.
My purchase was simplified when a long time friend told me he was selling his class A MH. I didn't even know he owned one. He had it in a beautiful pole barn at a lake about 60 miles north of my home. He only used the MH to sleep in when he went north to spend a couple days at the lake. When I went up to look at it I was astounded at the like new condition of this unit. He originally bought the MH to use as an office on job sites for his construction business. He used it twice and he dissolved the company when his partner stole funds from the company and took off for points south. When my friend bought the MH it was 4 years old. As it turned out I know the original owner well. It had made 3 trips down to Florida and back leaving the north country in September and coming back in May. The original owner had a large car port in Florida which he parked the RV under. He bought a home in Florida and now flies down and back.
The MH odometer just turned 29,000 miles and the gen set has 82 hrs. on the meter. Nearly everything worked normally when I brought this MH home. A couple issues but with previous experience with water heaters and a pretty fair knowledge of how systems and appliances work I quickly solved the issues.
There MIGHT be a couple things I would have different if I was buying new and ordering a new MH but the fact I bought this unit for about 2/3 of the going price for a comparable unit was the deal maker. I can adapt pretty easily if I have to.
I estimate I can own this MH for at least 5 years and still sell it for at least what I paid for it or possibly a bit more. The fact I have all the maintenance records since day one and am a fanatic on maintenance and record keeping should add somewhat to the value of this MH. I also store it in my large pole barn so it isn't weathering. For the winter I elected to rent space in a storage facility about ten miles away from my home. This frees up space for my tractors, farm equipment and other toys like 4-wheelers and snowmobiles.
My decision was easier than most folks would encounter, this is why I'm asking these questions. Not to necessarily help me but to enlighten the more unsuspecting buyer.
Old 10-31-2015, 09:42 AM   #62

Quote:
Betr2Trvl:

I like the decisions you made and admire the homework you did to order the MH with the options and conveniences you desired.
In your research you had determined length, the bath / shower arrangement, bed size, fridge type, paint scheme, TV position, Satellite receiver type, CCC, and knowing there were heavier chassis options available.
I have owned tow behinds and a class C before buying my class A. We started camping in 1976. I had an idea what I wanted going into my search for a class A.
In your situation it sounds as though you had very little previous experience with the RV world.
What may be useful to others who are starting to search for the perfect RV is if you would share where you learned enough about RVs and their systems to determine what to order and what not to bother with.
My purchase was simplified when a long time friend told me he was selling his class A MH. I didn't even know he owned one. He had it in a beautiful pole barn at a lake about 60 miles north of my home. He only used the MH to sleep in when he went north to spend a couple days at the lake. When I went up to look at it I was astounded at the like new condition of this unit. He originally bought the MH to use as an office on job sites for his construction business. He used it twice and he dissolved the company when his partner stole funds from the company and took off for points south. When my friend bought the MH it was 4 years old. As it turned out I know the original owner well. It had made 3 trips down to Florida and back leaving the north country in September and coming back in May. The original owner had a large car port in Florida which he parked the RV under. He bought a home in Florida and now flies down and back.
The MH odometer just turned 29,000 miles and the gen set has 82 hrs. on the meter. Nearly everything worked normally when I brought this MH home. A couple issues but with previous experience with water heaters and a pretty fair knowledge of how systems and appliances work I quickly solved the issues.
There MIGHT be a couple things I would have different if I was buying new and ordering a new MH but the fact I bought this unit for about 2/3 of the going price for a comparable unit was the deal maker. I can adapt pretty easily if I have to.
I estimate I can own this MH for at least 5 years and still sell it for at least what I paid for it or possibly a bit more. The fact I have all the maintenance records since day one and am a fanatic on maintenance and record keeping should add somewhat to the value of this MH. I also store it in my large pole barn so it isn't weathering. For the winter I elected to rent space in a storage facility about ten miles away from my home. This frees up space for my tractors, farm equipment and other toys like 4-wheelers and snowmobiles.
My decision was easier than most folks would encounter, this is why I'm asking these questions. Not to necessarily help me but to enlighten the more unsuspecting buyer.
WHAT? How do you figure that? You drive a vehicle off the lot and it just depreciated 20%. These things depreciate an average of 5 - 10% a year after that. RVs including motorhomes have been selling at double digit increases for the last few years. This fact will not drive UP prices especially in the next down turn in the economy which may be coming soon. These things are a toy (thus the name "recreational vehicle"), not an investment. You really took the guy you bought this from if you expect to make a profit, just sayin'.
Old 10-31-2015, 11:02 AM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreedomDream View Post
WHAT? You really took the guy you bought this from if you expect to make a profit, just sayin'.
I did NOT take anyone. He set the price and I paid exactly what he was asking. Thank You!
Based on what research I have done looking at used motor homes in the year and size range of mine I know I bought it under market value. What should I have done? Offer him a few thousand dollars more?
The MH is 13 years old. Once you reach a certain age the price stabilizes somewhat and doesn't drop a whole lot each passing year.
If I keep this MH for 5 years it will be in as good or better condition than it was when I bought it. Look around and see for yourself what is out there in the 15-20,000 dollar range.
In the meanwhile we are using this unit and are enjoying it. I am a fanatic about everything I own being maintained to the highest level. If I put over 1000 miles on this a year I would be surprised. We don't travel far but take one trip yearly which is 320 miles round trip. The rest is visiting local campgrounds or a few nearby dirt track racing tracks where we stay overnight and meet up with other friends we know.
I could easily buy a $150,000 MH and lose my butt in depreciation like you say. Why would I? The MH I have serves my purpose well and my wife really loves it. My neighbors don't care what I have and I don't have anyone I have to impress anyway. I have had a total of 11 tow behind trailers and 1 class C. I have never lost a dollar on any one of them. I buy it right or leave it there. We looked for 2 years before stumbling on to this latest RV.
Lynn
Old 10-31-2015, 11:37 AM   #64

National RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
"The learning curve is HUGE, a week or 2 is just going to show you the tip of the iceburg, and can, at times be a bit of a challenge, and can provide some laughs (later after the cussing)."

Isn't this the truth
Old 11-02-2015, 07:38 AM   #65

Quote:
Betr2Trvl:

We started out by reading a couple books that my wife found. One was "RVing for Dummies", and can't recall the other one. But they gave us some of the real basics to start building on. After reading those books, we thought we would do 5er, although we still wanted to look at the Airstreams but were beginning to realize some of the limitations of a TT.

Spent a lot of time on line, looking at 5er manufacturer sites, dealer sites, and found several web sites including iRV2 which we did not "join" at that point, but just read (a lot). Given my time on several special interest car forums, I quickly got the jist of iRV, and weeded through the commentary and personalities.

Then decided to stop by the local CW on Labor Day last year as we just happened to be driving by it that afternoon. Did we get lucky there (believe it or not), and met a GREAT sales woman that listened to us, and really helped us get a more realistic foundation for what we wanted. Yes, she showed us the mega 45' 5ers, but also told us she wanted to show us some MHs that she thought may be better for us. And that day we kinda got where she was heading with us.

Went back the following weekend to drive the mid level 31' class A that was our initial favorite. We realized it was easy enough to drive (both of us) and, not sure if our saleswoman planned it, but we ended up parking next to a 45' 5er with a 1 ton dually when we returned (ginormous of course), and at that point we were heading down the MH path.

Our saleswoman really helped us set some realistic expectations based on what we said we were planning to do.

Back to the internet again to see what else was out there in Class As around our budget, plus went to a local RV show, and kept in touch with our saleswoman. Again, as previously noted, we had no specific needs for a DP, and not really interested in older units, so focused on new within our prelim budget.

Then we decided to check out the local dealer that sells Tiffin and Fleetwood, and changed our budget....... The salesman there was very helpful as well, and we called our CW saleswoman to talk about where we were, and she sprung some news on us, she was moving over to the Tiffin / Fleetood dealer (so we ended up with 2 salespeople there).

More back and forth on floor plans, and final budget. Budget wise, we decided if we were going to go up to the Fleetwood, let's just end suck it up for another ~$10k and get a Tiffin. We focused on the 31SA at that point, but the 34TGA was a viable option, and decided the 36LA was just too big (Fleetwood has 3 virtually identical floor plans)

Coincidently, we we were going to Tampa for Thanksgiving, and set aside a day to visit Lazy Days. Called ahead of time to get more info on a couple of 2013/2014 used Tiffins, and got our salesman there. He was very helpful as well, decided that the used coaches were completely out at that point, and finalized our options list. One thing that we got from LD was our interior colors, which we happened to run across in a way over budget Phaeton. We had asked to see some of the DPs just to make sure we were still set on a smaller gasser, regardless of budget.

Put our final specs together, and ended up with our local dealer which we have been very happy with. Our other salesman there recently left, but our super star saleswoman is still there, and we keep in touch with her regularly.

So, that's the rest of the story........ Maybe I'll tie these 2 responses together for a new post.

Regards
Betr2Trvl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2015, 12:28 AM   #66

Thread reminds me: In the movie Clear and Present Danger,
[Jack needs a helicopter] ...
Jack Ryan: I'm here to rent the Huey.
Helicopter owner: We don't rent it anymore, but it is for sale.
Jack Ryan: How much?
Helicopter owner: Two million dollars.
Jack Ryan: Uh, my pilot and I will have to take it for a test drive.
Helicopter owner: Of course, you just have to leave a deposit.
Jack Ryan: How much is that?
Helicopter owner: Two million dollars.
Jack Ryan: Umm...
[Shows a CIA business card]
Jack Ryan: Would you take a company check?

Same for my MH!!
Old 11-10-2015, 05:15 AM   #67

I won't even rent out my airplane, let alone the MH.
Old 12-28-2015, 09:36 PM   #68

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by malexander View Post
I won't even rent out my airplane, let alone the MH.

Funny that
A guy followed me to my hangar last week and asked if I'd cross hire (rent) my Mooney
I said sorry Buddy
He explained that he'd been doing his CPL training in a Mooney but they had discovered a cracked cylinder at the Annual.
Funny about that - second "no"
Then he added that. "the only problem with the Mooney is you get a saw back with a hard landing."
So with that I closed the hangar door and sent him on his way.
He'll be flying for Sri-Lankan airlines in the near future if anybody needs to keep that bit of info in the old memory bank

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
Old 12-28-2015, 10:03 PM   #69

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I've been RV'ing since 1957 and with my parents till 1967. Then I got my own TT. Later my parents ordered a Foretravel and offered to let me use it. I never did though. I knew how my father treated it and if I put a scratch on it I'd be dead. Just kept on using our TT's and pickup till we got our first MH in 1988.
My son has never asked either and my daughter has their own MH now but he has his own mobile RV service so he'd probably return it in better shape then when he got it.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 10:14 PM   #70

This company is in the business of renting/leasing Motorhomes, you might ask them how it's done: Russell Coach - Conversions

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a