Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2016, 07:25 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Repair fund

As we are about to hit the road chasing 70 degrees, what is the consensus for what would be a practical emergency repair fund? I am sure it will vary as to whether gas or diesel. In our case we are gas powered.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2016, 07:35 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
In a perfect world I would like enough money in an emergency to fix the most expensive thing that could break and be able to afford a hotel for as long as it takes to fix it. To me that would be transmission/engine and about 2 months in a hotel. About 35K. Yeah I know, not really practical. Thats why I bought an extended warranty plan that will hopefully cover that if it happens. In reality I would have at least 12K in reserve just in case. Heres hoping you don't need one!!

gemert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 07:38 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I keep $10-20k in a money market account that can be readily accessed if needed. Repairs, purchase opportunities, health issues, etc.
Previously a 2002 Fleetwood Pace Arrow 37A and a 1995 Safari Trek 2830.
vsheetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 07:42 PM   #4

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemert View Post
In a perfect world I would like enough money in an emergency to fix the most expensive thing that could break and be able to afford a hotel for as long as it takes to fix it. To me that would be transmission/engine and about 2 months in a hotel. About 35K. Yeah I know, not really practical. Thats why I bought an extended warranty plan that will hopefully cover that if it happens. In reality I would have at least 12K in reserve just in case. Heres hoping you don't need one!!
After our experience I very much doubt that 35K would get an engine and trans plus the labor to change them out.
I know of one that the new owners (not us) spent $20,000 getting it running at a Cummins shop, 21 miles later the engine threw a rod. Cummins refused any payment so they spent another $44,000 on it. That wasn't including any motel/hotel expenses.
Mr_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 07:47 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
at our ages.. can't you get any amount from your IRA/401k without penalty? What am I missing. or,.. sell some blood!
Old 03-23-2016, 07:48 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
After our experience I very much doubt that 35K would get an engine and trans plus the labor to change them out.
I know of one that the new owners (not us) spent $20,000 getting it running at a Cummins shop, 21 miles later the engine threw a rod. Cummins refused any payment so they spent another $44,000 on it. That wasn't including any motel/hotel expenses.
I meant engine or transmission and that really sucks. I think I remember that on one of the forums. I think a Lawyer would be in order if they just rebuilt or replaced an engine that blew in 21 miles! I hope they were taken care of.
Old 03-23-2016, 07:50 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugmongous View Post
at our ages.. can't you get any amount from your IRA/401k without penalty? What am I missing. or,.. sell some blood!
Taxes on both of those options!
Old 03-23-2016, 08:06 PM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
In almost 50 years of RVing, I either Had a extended service plan or else Kept a cushion of a couple of thousand for unexpected repairs. The most I ever paid for a break down was $1200 for a fuel pump installed and 2 nights in a motel. another time was a blow out and I bought 6 tires Because of their age after the blow out about $1500. If I was full timing it would be a different story. But since we are not if I had a major break down. I would fly or take the toad and go home to my sticks and bricks, which I did when I had a accident 300 miles from home. $17,000 damage and 6 months to repair. Insurance paid.
Mel
Old 03-23-2016, 08:26 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As a vacationer, enough to get my passengers back home. Barring that $3000 to $5000 for on the road repairs. Catastrophic engine or transmission failure is a whole different ball game though. If that happens I might have to start using plastic. One of my biggest worries when on the road, getting stranded with a dead coach.
Old 03-23-2016, 08:34 PM   #10

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemert View Post
I meant engine or transmission and that really sucks. I think I remember that on one of the forums. I think a Lawyer would be in order if they just rebuilt or replaced an engine that blew in 21 miles! I hope they were taken care of.
Here's that story Chief. Make your hair curl.

Brand new ISX500 Cummins Failure
Old 03-24-2016, 06:09 AM   #11

It's the unexpected that'll bite your behind. I had a front wheel bearing go bad and seize. The entire wheel spindle was fused to the front axel. I was lucky I didn't lose the front wheel. If it wasn't for my ESP I would have had to fork out nearly $7K. But all I had to pay was my $100 ded.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 07:51 AM   #12

Not sure which gas chassis you have, but someone recently replaced the Workhorse 8.1 and it was around $8K. Tranny is likely in the same ballpark. Much less than a similar diesel repair. For those reasons I just carry two credit cards and will sort out the rest once I get home should something that catastrophic happen.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2016, 08:42 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
As Fram used to say, "Pay me now or pay me later". I suppose using plastic in an emergency is easy and accepted everywhere. One could even argue the interest on one would be cheaper than paying monthly to some company that may or may not pay for the repair. With the card you wouldn't have to wait for approval from anyone but the DW.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:05 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
Repair fund

It is not something we personally worry about enough to devote $ to a fund for " just in case".
If something needs fixed, we'll fix it.

The key is proper maintenance.

Tags
repair