Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-25-2012, 01:33 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Repairing Corian stove-top folding cover

Quite some time ago, I posted a question on this topic, but can't locate it now and my DS is finally getting ready to attempt to repair our folding Corian stove-top cover (we have a '00 Fleetwood Pace Arrow Vision 36B).

The stove-top cover comes in two pieces that are connected with screws and hinges, enabling the cover to fold-back against the back wall by the stove when you are using the burners.

The screw holes in the Corian have apparently gotten worn and enlarged, so the two parts of the cover came apart.

Would it be best to re-drill new holes and reposition the hinges and screws?

Or should DS proceed with his plan - fill the existing holes with "Gorilla Glue", let dry, and then re-screw the screws and hinges together?

Don't want to have to purchase a new cover that may/may not match the rest of the countertop.

Thanks all!

Jim and Susan
Merlin, OR

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2012, 01:37 PM   #2

Gorilla Glue is nothing more than fiberglass rosin. Use epoxy if you do it. Stay away from Gorilla. My wife has ruined more stuff with that junk.

Old 01-25-2012, 03:00 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
I have the same corian cover in my coach, but I'm not near it at the moment, else I'd go have a look. If it's possible, I'd (carefully) drill new holes. No repair you do to the old holes will outlast new.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 03:01 PM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
I would try breaking a couple of toothpicks off in the holes and then replace the screws. If that wont work, moving the hinges and drilling new holes, as you suggested would be my second try.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-PHartley View Post
I would try breaking a couple of toothpicks off in the holes and then replace the screws. If that wont work, moving the hinges and drilling new holes, as you suggested would be my second try.
Chuck..

You sound like you may have been a carpenter at one time. I cannot tell you how many times I have used that toothpick trick. Due to the material the OP is talking about I would suggest a piece of wood dowel set into the existing holes with some epoxy. You may have to drill new pilot holes but the dowel and epoxy will hold just fine.

Be very careful using the drill. Don't force it just take it nice and slow.

Dick
Old 01-25-2012, 06:48 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Florida Cooters Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigd2 View Post
Chuck..

You sound like you may have been a carpenter at one time. I cannot tell you how many times I have used that toothpick trick. Due to the material the OP is talking about I would suggest a piece of wood dowel set into the existing holes with some epoxy. You may have to drill new pilot holes but the dowel and epoxy will hold just fine.

Be very careful using the drill. Don't force it just take it nice and slow.

Dick

No, I was never a carpenter, I just have a lot of experience repairing my screw ups..
Old 01-25-2012, 06:57 PM   #7

iRV2 No Limits Club
The toothpick trip works great in wood but not so great in a substance like Corian (I was a cabinetmaker, btw, among other things) . I would either relocate the hinges if I could do so without the old holes showing or fill the old holes with epoxy and redrill.
Old 01-25-2012, 06:59 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Pictures may help get more suggestion. I'm working on ours for a different reason and trying to visualize what your problem is.
Romeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 07:12 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perry White View Post
Gorilla Glue is nothing more than fiberglass rosin. Use epoxy if you do it. Stay away from Gorilla. My wife has ruined more stuff with that junk.
Gorilla Glue is a polyurethane resin not a fibreglass resin.

Here is the MSDS

http://www.gorillaglue.com/LinkClick...OA%3d&tabid=95
Old 01-25-2012, 07:38 PM   #10

If you are going to fill the holes, I would go to a solid surface shop and ask them to do it. If they have the correct glue color (most should) it would only require a mixing tip and enough glue to get a good blend going. With Corian the glue is designed to "melt"(for a lack of better term)into the corian and basically become part of the solid surface. If you are ever near Everett, PA I would be happy to do it for you no charge.
Graniteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graniteman View Post
If you are going to fill the holes, I would go to a solid surface shop and ask them to do it.
That's the ticket.

The solid surface dealer will have the proper Corian approved "glue" in matching colors. Have them fill it, take it home to cure overnight and then re-drill the holes. I'll bet the shop will do it for no charge. It'll take the shop longer to round up the gun-and-glue than to squirt it in. Remember, DuPont designed Corian so that it can be assembled/glued so that joints can be glued and simply sand out any evidence of the line.

You can even polish Corian to a mirror gloss (via sanding - work up to 3000 grit).
Old 01-26-2012, 10:31 AM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have had luck using round, hardwood toothpicks. Squirt some epoxy into the hold and jam in some toothpicks.