Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-19-2016, 08:52 PM   #1

Repairing dash air on late model Class A

I have a 2015 40' Diesel motor home that the dash air has quit working already. I can tell the compressor is not turning, but is turnable by hand so it's not frozen, and the 7.5 A fuse in the fuse box is good.
Has anyone had to have a late model AC worked on, and if so can you remember what part it took to fix it?
Freightliner has told me to take it in to the shop but this may not be possible before we leave on vacation. Guess we'll be using the gen and the roof airs.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2016, 09:19 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Repairing dash air on late model Class A

My dash unit produces neither heat nor cold. I'll get around to fixing it one of these days, perhaps. But that's ok, as its heat is totally inadequate and its cooling is sub-par at best. When cooling or heat is required we run the Gen and the roof units. I have read that this is more efficient, at least for a/c, as the engine driven dash air compressor coupled with increased loading of the radiator cooling fan can sap as much as 40-50 hp from the main engine. Not confirmed.

John & Diane, fulltiming since '12
'02 DS, FL, Cat, '04 Element
NHSO RVM103
2004 Element
JFXG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 09:24 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Probably low on "freon". If so there is a pretty good leak or it wouldn't have quit so soon. It usually takes 5 or more years to leak down. Any Air con shop could easily check it with their gauge setup.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 11:45 PM   #4

JMHO: 7.5 amp fuse shouldn't be large enough to power the whole system.
I'll agree that low freon : or what ever they call it this week ; may be your issue , but that 7.5 amp may not be the only fuse.
Old 05-20-2016, 10:26 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Agree - you seem to have a "freon" (actually R134a) leak, and the loss of pressure inhibits the compressor from engaging (it is designed that way, to save the compressor). Try recharging it with a kit available in any auto parts store/dept and see if the compressor starts up and cools again. A typical problem is simply a leaking o-ring in one of the connections, but it can be hard to find with out pro diagnostic tools.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 01:05 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Something to check since my coach may be different than yours but when mine quit I found a sensor located on the back sided of the firewall that has a probe that is inserted into the fins in the heater/AC core and opens the connection to keep the AC from freezing up. There are two wires attached to this sensor/relay and you can test it by just removing the wires and connecting them together with a piece of wire. If the AC then works you need to replace the sensor/relay. If I remember right I paid in the neighborhood of $20 for mine.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 01:19 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Agree - you seem to have a "freon" (actually R134a) leak, and the loss of pressure inhibits the compressor from engaging (it is designed that way, to save the compressor). Try recharging it with a kit available in any auto parts store/dept and see if the compressor starts up and cools again. A typical problem is simply a leaking o-ring in one of the connections, but it can be hard to find with out pro diagnostic tools.
X4 or is it X5?
Old 05-20-2016, 03:31 PM   #8
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I added freon to my 2002 Windsor, but don't remember exactly how I did it!

The connection was behind the dash, so I could access it by running the generator out!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 05:07 PM   #9

Likely low on freon and it should not be being new.

Contact the manufacturer to see what they say.

If it wss out of service for warranty work before clock stopped.

Sometimes you may get some extension by begging a bit.
Old 05-20-2016, 05:13 PM   #10

Wally World has your answer:

How to recharge your car's air conditioner - Car care, How-To’s & Tips - Walmart.com
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 06:07 AM   #11

Just had mine repaired yesterday. It had plenty of freon but the compressor would not engage. Checked all fuses and relays and they were good. Took it to the Pros and I was in and out in 1 1/2 hours. Turned out to be the Thermostat was stuck open and needed to be replaced. Must be the $20 part described above only it cost $32. Add the hour and a half labor and I was out the door for $152 total. Note the labor rate at $80 hour. I had taken it to the Spartan Chassis place and was quoted labor on a motorhome at $145 hr. Decided to pass on that.

TexasTruckAC.com is located in Dallas suburb of Balch Springs and the best I have found for automotive ac in 40+ years of owning a motorhome. Easy in/out with lots of room for BIGGEST of rigs. They really know their stuff!

Planocat
Planocat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, dash, dash air, repair