Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2014, 07:30 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Repairing Paint on Our Dynasty

I figured I would post this in the "General Motorhome" section rather than the Monaco specific section as I am sure this is not an issue isolated to Monaco coaches. Seems like all of them once they get to around that magic ten year birthday have clear coat peeling issues. Unless you are one of the fortunate ones who have a large garage to store your coach in. My wife and I do not fall into that category.

Last year I noticed that on our 2003 Monaco Dynasty there were a few spots on the left side (the one that is in the sun when parked at home) where the clearcoat was starting to peel. I had gotten a couple of bids to have the coach painted and we eventually will but for now I opted to try to buy us a year or two by repairing the areas. The right side of the coach looks like it just rolled out of the factory so if I can get the left side where I am happy with it then we can postpone having the entire coach painted for a couple of years. If the right side were just as bad as the spots on the left side we probably would have gotten it painted over the winter. I would love to paint it myself but just don't have anywhere to do it and outside is too unpredictable as far as weather goes plus I don't want to shower the neighborhood with that much overspray. The few spots that I am repairing do not produce much overspray and I am doing each section seperate.

Here are a couple of pictures of the clearcoat peeling.

Removing the caulking that seals between the fiberglass side and the aluminum trim around the bedroom slide. This will ensure the paint and clear get into the corner completely. I will re-caulk them with Geocel 2300 afterwards.

Sanding and feathering the lifted edges of the clearcoat.

Bedroom slide masked, areas where I sanded through the base color sealed and ready to paint.

Bedroom slide completed.

More pictures to follow.

Mike.
zmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2014, 07:31 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Moving on to the next two small sections. The small sandstone area right behind the dining table window had an area where the clear coat was almost completely gone. The gray strip in the front slide had the lower edge starting to peel. I originally was going to re-paint the entire slide but overall it looks really good other than these two spots.

Here are the two small spots masked and sanded.

Sealer applied and ready for paint/clear coat.

Completed. The clear coat blend turned out extremely well. Don't worry, I moved my truck and my son's Jeep prior to painting. I had them parked out front on the street and just pulled them back into the driveway in this picture.

This brings me current up to last night. I removed the refrigerator cover and trim ring to remove the caulking and ensure complete sanding and paint coverage/adhesion.

I don't particularly care for painting these days. Having my workbench covered with masking paper to avoid any spills and contain the mess.

I will post up the final pics when it is completed. I was hoping to get this section painted this weekend but now the weather is calling for wind and chances of rain Friday and Saturday. Not good for fresh paint.

Mike.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:55 AM   #3

Wow Mike

Great job. It takes a special talent and patience to do that work yourself.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:56 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
That looks very nice Mike!
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 08:15 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by crah View Post
Wow Mike

Great job. It takes a special talent and patience to do that work yourself.
Thanks. I don't know about talent though. More like a screw loose to tackle this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lt46 View Post
That looks very nice Mike!
Thank you.

Mike.
Old 04-17-2014, 08:23 AM   #6

Looks good Mike, could save you the large cost of a total repaint.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:17 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by becks View Post
Looks good Mike, could save you the large cost of a total repaint.
Thank you. I don't know about saving me anything on a complete as I am still planning on having the entire coach painted within the next one to three years. This will just buy us a little time and ease up a bit on my anxiety from looking at the peeling clear coat.

Mike.
Old 04-17-2014, 12:18 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Good luck finding someone to follow up on your so called temporary solution...you set the bar pretty damn high! Nice job...
tankcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:54 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by tankcj View Post
Good luck finding someone to follow up on your so called temporary solution...you set the bar pretty damn high! Nice job...
Thank you. I would like to tackle the entire coach if I had a place indoors set up to paint. I think I could do it for around 1/3 to 1/2 the cost of what it will end up costing us.

Mike.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:38 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
looks great .love the dynasty
Old 04-17-2014, 01:49 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by gunrunner View Post
looks great .love the dynasty
Thanks. I love the paint job on your trailer to match your Dynasty. I had some stripes along our last trailer to tie in with the coach but our current trailer is plain white. I debadged it, removed all of the sticker and it just looks like a large bar of soap behind the coach.

Mike.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:10 PM   #12

Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmotorsports View Post
Moving on to the next two small sections. The small sandstone area right behind the dining table window had an area where the clear coat was almost completely gone. The gray strip in the front slide had the lower edge starting to peel. I originally was going to re-paint the entire slide but overall it looks really good other than these two spots.

Here are the two small spots masked and sanded.

Sealer applied and ready for paint/clear coat.

Completed. The clear coat blend turned out extremely well. Don't worry, I moved my truck and my son's Jeep prior to painting. I had them parked out front on the street and just pulled them back into the driveway in this picture.

This brings me current up to last night. I removed the refrigerator cover and trim ring to remove the caulking and ensure complete sanding and paint coverage/adhesion.

I don't particularly care for painting these days. Having my workbench covered with masking paper to avoid any spills and contain the mess.

I will post up the final pics when it is completed. I was hoping to get this section painted this weekend but now the weather is calling for wind and chances of rain Friday and Saturday. Not good for fresh paint.

Mike.
Mike..
Whose materials did you use? I mean manufacturer.. It does look good.. Really good gloss on the clear..
I need to repaint the water heater door and the surrounding panel due to a run in with a tree here at home..
Would like a recommendation.
Ron Husak
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04 400 Cummins ISL
rhusak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 03:00 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhusak View Post
Mike..
Whose materials did you use? I mean manufacturer.. It does look good.. Really good gloss on the clear..
I need to repaint the water heater door and the surrounding panel due to a run in with a tree here at home..
Would like a recommendation.
Ron Husak
I only use PPG products. I have used them for the past 25+ years as the auto body paint supply store that I worked at in high school carried PPG and I fell in love with their products.

Although I have not stayed as current on their products over the past 5+ years since I don't paint much, I stuck with the old tried and trued products I have used for years.

I really like the DP epoxy primer. It is great for adhesion as well as corrosion resistance, although not an issue on fiberglass, but it does cover well and promote fantastic adhesion.

For paint I have been using PPG's DBC urethane base coat and then top it off with PPG's DC2021 clear with DCX61 catalyst and DT870 reducer at a 4:1:1 ratio.

One thing I like to do when applying the clear is to put the first coat on as a "tack coat". Not heavy but not too dry either. Then follow with two medium-wet coats with about a 15-20 minute flash time between coats. Here is critical, watch the clock and walk away until time is up. If you are like me you will get impatient and start thinking it is ready to apply another coat when it is not. Then you end up with a sag or run in the clear.

On the last coat of clear, I over-reduce it with 10% of DT895 which is their high temperature reducer. This helps to "flow out" better on the last coat and almost completely eliminates the orange peel effect that can happen with a high-solids clear.

Hope that helps and didn't confuse you.

As far as clearcoat, the sales guy thought I was crazy for using the PPG DC2021 clear due to its cost. He tried talking me into using PPG's lower line called OMNI. I have heard good things about OMNI clears but chose not to use it for two reasons. First, I wasn't going to use a product I was not familiar with on such a large undertaking. Secondly, the OMNI only has a 4-year guarantee for UV protection whereas PPG's DC2021 has a ten-year. Even if I get it repainted in the next year or two there is that chance that it may be longer if the paint holds out. In that case I wanted a good quality clearcoat on it.

Mike.
Old 04-17-2014, 03:56 PM   #14

Spartan Chassis
Mike..
Thanks for the info..
Ron
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04 400 Cummins ISL
rhusak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint, repair