Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-11-2011, 09:47 PM   #1

Gulf Streamers Club
Replace 30amp cord

I am going to replace my old 30amp cord for my 1993 Gulfstream motorhome (see signature). It looks like it is on its last leg. I purchased a replacement 50amp cord because of the larger 6 gauge wire (more is better?) The original electrical service for the MH is 30amp but it now has two air conditioners. They both work with the Generac 5K generator. This motorhome does not have an automatic transfer switch. When running generator I have to plug in the service cord into a 30amp receptacle that is in the electric service storage box where the cords are stored. That receptacle is fed from the 30amp generator output. The 20amp generator output goes to a separate three way switch near the breaker/converter/charger under the rear bed on the motorhome. That switch is used to allow both A/C's to run at the same time. I plan on hooking one leg of the new 50amp cord where the old hot leg now goes and the other hot leg to a new breaker box, where I can run new service to the second A/C and a new line to the front of the MH for an electric supplemental heater. Simple, huh? Is this possible without endangering the planet? Thanks for the help............ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-11-2011, 10:30 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It sounds like you are doing what I did last winter. Since you also have a Gulfstream the wiring set up sounds quite similar except mine is a gasser. I tapped into the 20 amp line at the front/rear a/c selector switch. I then added a 20A outlet under the bed to run my heater, best of both worlds. Except I used a Power Solutions dual power adapter with a built in circuit breaker. Here is a link to an older post when I installed the DPA.
From recent posts it's my understanding the DPA is no longer being produced so you would have to design your own circuit breaker box. This should not be too difficult if you go to a home improvement store and put all the parts together. I tried to find http://www.psrv.net to show you what I have, but got a server down message. There are some photos of my install at the link given above.

Wanabee FTer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:19 AM   #3

I somewhat changed over to 50a from 30a too. I also had to "plug" in my 30a cord into a receptacle that was powered from my generator. I also wanted to run both a/c's while plugged into shore power. Here's what I did with my 96 Suncruiser 34ft. I bought a 50a automatic transfer switch, a 70a (2) circuit breaker box, a 50a power cord (one that was to be hard wired into MH). I decided not to hard wire in the 50a cord so I got a 50a receptacle and a water proof outlet cover. I installed the ATC and the 70a breaker box in my rear cross through compartment. I then unhooked the 30a and 20a lines coming out of the generator and ran these to the ATC along with the new 50a power cord. I installed the weather proof outlet and 50a receptacle in my generator compartment. and drilled a hole through to the rear compartment. On the output of the ATC I ran these wires over to the 70a breaker box that I installed a 30a and a 20a breakers. Then I ran a line from the 30a breaker and to the original line that was hooked up to the generator and powered my 30a service to my MH. Then from the 20a breaker I hooked up the 20a line that goes directly to my rear a/c. All attaching points (ie.. wire nuts) were done inside a junction box that I installed also in the rear compartment.
One thing I also had to do was my MH was missing the "front/rear" a/c switch. Someone had removed it and just wired both a/c's together up in my cabinet. Before I added any of these new items, I unhooked all the wires and tested out which ones were which and now my rear a/c is all on it's own circuit. I do have some pictures that I just took last night but I haven't had time to up-load them to the web yet. I'm going to put my new post out there with the pictures here in a few days showing what I did.
jcgribks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 09:07 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Very possible.. I would recommend the following changes

"Break" the power line to the 2nd AC (The one only the generator runs) and install a 20 amp plug and two 20 amp outlets, one of those protected by a 20 amp breaker. You can use any 20 amp style you like I like Twist lock but... There is a reason not to use one here.

The generrator then feeds the "non-breaker" outlet

The shore cord feeds the breaker which feeds the breaker protected outlet.

The plug, feeds the air conditioner.

NOTE: you might even install a 3rd breaker protected outlet.. This one has a 15 /20 amp INLET type connector feeding it.

Now, on a 50 amp site, plug in . plug A/C #2 into shore power outlet, good to go

30 amp site, Use adapter to plug in most of coach, use 20 amp (12ga) extension cord to the inlet and plug the A/C into that one.

Generator.. Plug A/C into Generator outlet.
The 2nd leg of the 50 amp cord
Old 07-12-2011, 11:39 AM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Great feedback! I was going to visit MH this weekend to try and start install of new 50amp power cord but toad is objecting. Seems another head gasket has gone away. Number three. Hoping nothing else is bad, like before when I drove it 60 miles after head gasket broke and ruined the block. and I was hoping that with all this age that I was accumulating that wisdom would naturally follow. Wish me luck on toad and re-wiring both..........ronspradley
Old 07-12-2011, 11:45 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
like before when I drove it 60 miles after head gasket broke and ruined the block. and I was hoping that with all this age that I was accumulating that wisdom would naturally follow. Wish me luck on toad and re-wiring both..........ronspradley
I bet you didn't drive it 60 miles this time after it blew.
Hopefully just a gasket and cylinder head resurface this time,
Good Luck and keep us posted.

Old 07-31-2011, 10:22 PM   #7

I just purchased a 1990 Gulfstream Sun Clipper 32'. I am looking for wiring schematics for the battery solenoid switch. Can anyone help?
Sun_Clipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:28 PM   #8

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
That's a tall order for a 21 year old coach. You would be lucky to find a wiring schematic for a near new coach. For older coaches it's old school, check voltages and continuity in wiring.
Yes it can be a real pain.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:58 AM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
Couple of updates. First, toad head gasket. This time the aluminum head was warped and not repairable....................but I have a parts truck stashed away and took the head off that motor and it was repairable...................after replacing all of that, also had the water pump replaced because on this Nissan motor the fan clutch was not working right and it is part and parcel to the water pump. So another lifetime AutoZone water pump was installed. Last Friday my mechanic was test driving and said alternator was not working right.............back to AutoZone for another lifetime alternator. Today they are putting that on. Wish me luck that that fixes all of the problems...........

Now for the original question about replacing the 30 amp cord with a 50 amp. This motorhome has no automatic transfer switch so the 30 amp generator output goes to a female receptacle in the RV cord compartment and the 20 amp generator output goes to the 3 way switch located under the bed in the rear and switches the second A/C. Now I am going to replace that 30 amp female receptacle with a 50 amp receptacle, so both the 30 and 20 amp from generator will power that. So the new 50 amp power cord will fit there and will fit a 50 amp shore power. The L1 leg from that new power cord will replace the existing 30 amp at the breaker box/converter. The L2 will power a new breaker box which will feed the 3 way switch that is already there (for the second A/C). ???????????

Whew..........lots of words for what should be pretty simple. Just waiting for the $$$$$ from the toad and the 107 heat to decrease some.......see any issues with this plan?????????? thanks again for all the input..........ronspradley
Old 08-01-2011, 11:07 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Glad to hear you are getting the toads problems sorted out, luckily you had a spare head lying around

Adding 20 amps to your rear a/c should work.
I think we have the same manual transfer set up with front rear a/c selector switch. Since I have the DPA I think the only difference is the 20 amp genset circuit is temporarily disconnected with the addition of 120V (15 Amps) shore power through the adapter.
What you are suggesting to do is to tap into the 20 amp side of your generator/air conditioner selector switch which is not being used on shore power. I don't know if there will be any consequences by combining the 2 circuits together, (20a gen and 30a shore) but I would think it would be okay if wired properly and the genset is not operating at the same time.
It sounds like you have the right idea of adding a circuit breaker to the L2 of the 50A line. I would think a 15 to 20 amp breaker should be more then enough for the rear a/c. You might even want to consider adding a 20 amp outlet to the rear of the coach to run an auxiliary electric heater in the winter time. (as I did and love it!) The only thing I am not sure about is if adding 20 amps to the genset will cause any pre mature failure of the genny. If I were going to all the trouble of adding a breaker box I think I would also add a on/off switch for power going to the genny. You could probably use a HD on/off light switch to do this. Then you could be assured no harm will come to the genset when hooked up to shore power, as long as you remember to turn the gen switch off. I would think the same thing could be accomplished by turning off the 20a breaker at the genset as long as you can remember to do it, but a switch right next to your shore power compartment may be more convenient.
Good luck and post back with your progress, pics are always cool

Old 08-02-2011, 03:20 PM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
TOAD

Call from mechanic for toad. Bill is $1972.93..........thank goodness. I was worried that it would be $2000.00.............

Tags
replace