Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-18-2016, 11:19 PM   #15
Thor Owners Club
Here's the deal, I'm a tech and former service advisor and work with extended warranty companies on a weekly basis. Ask the shop to show you the published labor guide times where they came up with 20 hours. I could justify a few hours of diagnostic time + whatever the published labor time is to remove and replace a transmission + there might possibly be some TCM programming to reset adaptive shifts, this may be an hour at the most. I would say 10 to 11 labor hours is probably what the job is worth. Most extended warranty companies will not pay for diagnosis or programming an ECM therefore that would be your responsibility.

FWIW, at the Dealer I work for, customers are not asked to pay any additional labor beyond what the ext warranty company has authorized, with the exception of diagnostic time.

The actual time it takes a tech to do a job is irrelevant, repair shops don't bill for labor that way. I lose my fanny to inadequate published repair times on a daily basis.

I'd have to guess the tech doesn't want to work on a motorhome, so he quoted the service advisor a huge amount of labor hoping you would go somewhere else. This ain't my first rodeo.

Agaveguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2016, 10:08 AM   #16
Monaco Owners Club
Originally Posted by Agaveguy View Post
I'd have to guess the tech doesn't want to work on a motorhome, so he quoted the service advisor a huge amount of labor hoping you would go somewhere else. This ain't my first rodeo.
Not to Hi Jack the thread, but why can't they just say they don't want the job because were too busy, don't like MH, don't have space, etc.? I understand why they don't like to work on MH's, its not alway a pleasant chore. However, if i were getting $135/hr, jus'sayin'.

Jim and Jennie, Cats=Bittles and Potter, 2000 Dynasty 350 ISC
2013 Silverado 4x4 Towed with R1200GS in bed.
PROV23:4 Do not wear yourself out to get rich; have the wisdom to show restraint.
Coma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 12:53 PM   #17
They are taking advantage of a loop hole to bill additional hours instead of an agreed to lower fixed rate.

If the manufacturer is still in business contact them ASAP.

Ask them first to look up the approved warranty procedure for your job.

Assume they have something in place with the chassis manufacturer to service warranty work on the chassis.

Next confirm rime to do work and what is and not covered as well as authorized service centers.

Have them send you documents supporting facts.

If labor more than what your insurance claims then forward them the documents showing correct from manufacturer.

Find an authorized for chassis warranty provider and ask for an estimate and indicate you are calling them due only to them being factory support for the chassis and also share that the factory indicates X hours work and see where they go.

If warranty service center for chassis it is difficult to play games.

Tony & Lori
1989 Country Coach Savannah SE
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote

allison, replace, ace