Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-25-2010, 10:03 AM   #1

Replace Bench Seats

Just inquiring about replacing my bench type seating arrangement to a fold out table with 2 chairs.I own a Georgie Boy Pursuit 32 ft. The bench type set is on a slide out. We are an older couple and we don't need a bench type arrangement and was just wondering if it's a big involvement. I'm pretty handy with building and repairing.
If anyone has done this can you let me know if it can be done.
saddlecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-25-2010, 11:07 AM   #2

I have the same rig you do (or nearly-2006 32' Pursuit) and I suspect it will be a problem. I have something (converter?) under the forward seat that would have to be relocated plus you lose the storage.
Instead, we've replaced the couch/love seat with two quality Captains chairs (rocker bases). Very comfortable and with the small "Magic" table between them they provide a comfortable seating arrangement.
We plan on adding a shelf with storage under at the height of the seat backs. It will be about a foot wide and provide two small files plus a place to store the computers (we both use the table as an office).
Ernie

Remember! Life is not a rehearsal!
Ernie n Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 11:42 AM   #3

Don't know your space limitations, but I remodeled mine a couple of years ago. took out the bench seats, table, and sofa sleeper to make more accommodating arrangement.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	_D084115_edited-1 (Medium).jpg
Views:	119
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	5695  

hdossett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 12:01 PM   #4

I like what you did...was the bench set up on a slide and I wonder if the slide is a problem. Did you custom make the new unit?
Old 09-26-2010, 08:31 AM   #5

He is a couple of WIP photos. The "desk/table" was where the booth was. The slide floor is about six inches deeper there. The pedestal consists of one 24" base cabinet in front where I installed the bench seat sliding storage units. Behind that is a 12" inverted base unit. I had to remount the drawer, it just wouldn't work against the table top!

The credenza is a 24" base unit. I put sliding shelf in in all the units for access. Also installs a slider in the main kitchen base unit for much better access to pots and pans.

The table top in my first post is 3/4" plywood with Formica type laminate, edged with 3/4" popular which gives it a nice natural color.

All units are stock unfinished oak cabinets from Lowes. I think I did every thing for ~$800, for sure under a grand. Price a Corian table top to match the kitchen and it would have been $1,100 and that did not include the credenza.

We both use our computers lot and this has been the greatest thing remodel we could have done for usability, and removing the carpet the best thing for our sanity!

The slide was no problem. I have to use strips of MDF under it for the vinyl floor, but that has nothing to do with the cabinets.

Harold
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_6339 (Large).JPG
Views:	120
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	5713   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_6340 (Large).JPG
Views:	110
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	5714  

Old 09-26-2010, 08:38 AM   #6

A better photo of the table top in lock down for travel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_6376 (Large).JPG
Views:	112
Size:	82.8 KB
ID:	5715  

Old 09-26-2010, 08:50 AM   #7

Wow, you made an excellent transition and gave me some good ideas, Thanks for the pics, I'm going to see if I can print them out.
Thans
Old 09-26-2010, 09:41 AM   #8

HDossett,
That's a really neat setup but it looks to take more space than we've got in a Pursuit slide. Has the cabinet been a problem for knee's?
Ernie

Remember! Life is not a rehearsal!
Ernie n Tara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 07:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie n Tara View Post
HDossett,
... Has the cabinet been a problem for knee's?
Ernie
No, I have a 12 inch overhang on the table top and also a few inches over hang over the belt to protect the knees.

Old 09-27-2010, 08:33 AM   #10

The pull out drawers are great! These were under the bench seats, I just cut about six inches off the back ends.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_6383 (Large).JPG
Views:	128
Size:	100.5 KB
ID:	5735