Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2011, 08:45 PM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Replace Carpet

Looking for current info on replacing the carpet in a 2003 Windsong by Forest River, have read some of the older posts. Am tired of the struggle to keep the carpet clean and tripping over scatter rugs! Have looked at Home Depot at the TraffficMaster Allure plank flooring, like what I see. I feel confident we can take out the carpet and install the planks, just concerned about the slide. No plans to take the carpet off the slide, do we run the planks to just under the slide carpet? Since this is a floating floor, what's to keep it from scooting further?

Also, think we're going to take out the sleeper sofa and put in a reclining loveseat, any advice for this????

One last thing, I want to increase my counter space without spending big $$. I have a large double sink, thinking I can get by with a smaller sink. Has anyone installed a tile counter top???? Mine has an odd angle, would be expensive to have a new custom top.
calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2011, 10:26 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Hi and I have moved your post to this forum where it will get more views.

You're sure not alone getting sick of the carpeting in your coach. We full timed with 3 dogs and it had to go right away. I replaced it with Allure and we're happy with the product. We did/do have some problems with the installation though that resulted in me having to tack down the Allure so it's no longer floating... and I've gotten scratches on it from the slides riding over it. I believe this is because the slides have a "skid" on them which designed to slide over carpet. Those skids will need to be replaced with skids designed to ride over hard surface flooring and the scratched Allure planks will need to be replaced.

Try using the search function and you'll find a lot of background and projects complete with pictures on floor replacements.

Best of luck. Glad you found us.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:03 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I've had tile counters in 2 sticks and bricks houses.
The first was there when I bought it. Conventional grout absorbs everything, stains easily, and is near impossible to keep clean.

The second I did myself. epoxy grout is impervious. It rarely gets dirty and never gets stained
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:19 AM   #4

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Forest River Owners Club
Thanks for moving my post to the correct location!! I've read about new flooring being scratched when the slides are brought back in. Would it work to lay down a rug or pc of carpet in front of the slide runners prior to bringing the slide in? Also, did you remove every bit of carpet under the slide or just enough to bring the Allure to under the slide? Where did you tack the new flooring?
calico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 07:36 AM   #5

Rexhall Owners Group
We replaced out carpeting with wood interlocking flooring last year (from Lowe's or Home Depot, forget which). Replaced all the carpet on the floor including under the slide. Left the carpet ON the slide. WE do have some marks from the slide going in and out. This is in the front area of the coach. In the rear I put a piece of clear plastic floor runner down under the slide before it's moved in/out. This works well for us but we do need to store the plastic when not in use. Nailed the first row of flooring under the slide, everything else floats. No problems so far with the floor moving.
PandK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:21 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by calico View Post
Thanks for moving my post to the correct location!! I've read about new flooring being scratched when the slides are brought back in. Would it work to lay down a rug or pc of carpet in front of the slide runners prior to bringing the slide in? Also, did you remove every bit of carpet under the slide or just enough to bring the Allure to under the slide? Where did you tack the new flooring?
Many folks have had success laying down a piece of carpet or even spare planks of the Allure to have the slides ride on. They also make thin plastic sheets for this purpose I believe Camping World has them. I haven't tried them myself and want to get my slides operating properly without having to do this.

I removed every bit of carpet. I wanted a clean installation of the Allure from nose to tail with no changes in elevation on the floor so I had to install 3/16" plywood underlayment and leveling compound to get a flat, smooth floor. I had thought this would still result int the floor being no higher than the original carpeting. It might be the same height but the hard skids scratch the Allure (probably when any sand, etc is trapped between the skid and the Allure) when the slides ride over them.

To remove every bit of carpet I had to spend HOURS lying on my side and using GOOF OFF and WD40 to dissolve the glue Winnie used to hold the carpet to the ramp the skids ride up over.

My original plan was to leave the floor floating but the first time I tried to retract a slide the entire floor buckled in the center because the slide was just pushing it out of the way. I used carpet tacks to hold down the allure where it runs up to the slide and a utility knife to bevel the edges of the Allure to encourage the slide skid to ride over it.

I installed new carpet ON the slides using area rugs from WalMart cut to size and held down with staples and carpet tape. Leaving carpet on the slides allow for the hiding of the slide seam where it meets the floor and the Allure is tacked down.

There are conflicting reports on whether or not my slides are adjustable... allowing me to raise the height of the slides so they don't ride so heavily on the floor when retracting. The looks of the mechanism seems to indicate it is adjustable and a few have reported they've done it, but many experts here claim it's not a feature of the design.

Good luck...

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote