Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2013, 08:59 AM   #1

Replace Couch with recliners

There was a thread a month or so back where someone replaced their couch with a pair of recliners. The recliners came as a unit and were designed for RV's. Really nice looking. The thread included a link to purchase the recliners but I can't find it now. Anyone remember this one. Thanks
adonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-27-2013, 09:13 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Bought new for our coach. Just a hint thought....don't get hung up on the word "RV" when looking for your replacement furniture. In reality there is nothing special about "RV" furniture, in fact we found a double recliner, home theater unit that was less expensive, better built and made of real leather, came apart to slide thru the door and overall a better value. Some folks will argue the point that you have to buy "RV" furniture but if you do the research you'll find little difference between Broyhill and Flexsteel except for the exhorbatant price of the flexsteel stuff.
Lostdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:15 AM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to Shellback1
Quote:
Originally Posted by adonh View Post
There was a thread a month or so back where someone replaced their couch with a pair of recliners. The recliners came as a unit and were designed for RV's. Really nice looking. The thread included a link to purchase the recliners but I can't find it now. Anyone remember this one. Thanks

It was my post. http://www.irv2.com/forums/f64/old-s...in-168138.html
Shellback1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 09:38 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shellback1 View Post
That's it. I have a nice looking couch in my 2005 Airstream that sits in the slide on the drivers side. But it is not comfortable when folded out as a bed and I don't plan on having any guests sleep over anyway. As a couch is it comfortable to sit on but a recliner would be much better. I moved my TV from the overhaed in front of the coach over to the passenger side directly accross from the couch so the 2 recliners would be perfect. My couch is 74 " long so the 71" would fit fine.

You have had your in for a few months how is it working out.
Old 10-27-2013, 09:42 AM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
That's it. I have a nice looking couch in my 2005 Airstream that sits in the slide on the drivers side. But it is not comfortable when folded out as a bed and I don't plan on having any guests sleep over anyway. As a couch is it comfortable to sit on but a recliner would be much better. I moved my TV from the overhaed in front of the coach over to the passenger side directly accross from the couch so the 2 recliners would be perfect. My couch is 74 " long so the 71" would fit fine.

You have had your in for a few months how is it working out.

We love it! At least now we can push back to watch TV, and the dog even knows this is not hers.
Old 10-27-2013, 11:01 AM   #6

Quote:
We love it! At least now we can push back to watch TV, and the dog even knows this is not hers.
It looks like your is on the slide platform as mine would be be. So in my coach they will sit up about 2" higher than if they were sitting on the actual floor. The recliner seat is 19" from the floor but when sitting on my slide platform it will be 21". Th back of the recliner is 37" high and the bottom of my window is 27" high so the recliner will cover about 10" of the window. Is that about how your setup is. Any issues with the higher seat. Thanks
Old 10-27-2013, 11:05 AM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
It looks like your is on the slide platform as mine would be be. So in my coach they will sit up about 2" higher than if they were sitting on the actual floor. The recliner seat is 19" from the floor but when sitting on my slide platform it will be 21". Th back of the recliner is 37" high and the bottom of my window is 27" high so the recliner will cover about 10" of the window. Is that about how your setup is. Any issues with the higher seat. Thanks
The backs on mine come about even with the bottom of the window.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:53 AM   #8

I ordered the Monaco double recliner today 72" wide in "Ultimate Leather" the Cream color. Based on the color samples matches our driver and passenger seats very well. Now to see how the old couch is bolted in and start removing it.

Thanks for the input.

Monaco Double Recliner
Old 11-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
As I write this, our coach is in Elkhart for service, and we are having reclining love seats (wall huggers) built at Lambright Custom Chairs in Topeka, IN (a short ways from Elkhart). We ordered real leather rather than faux leather material and got the power recline feature. I detested the sofa (air bed) that came with the coach, and since there is only the two of us and 1 golden retriever, the sofa (bed feature) was never used anyway. We are excited to have the love seats installed when we go to IN to pick up our coach from service. If you have any questions that I can answer, send me a PM.

Bronk
bronk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2013, 01:53 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronk View Post
As I write this, our coach is in Elkhart for service, and we are having reclining love seats (wall huggers) built at Lambright Custom Chairs in Topeka, IN (a short ways from Elkhart). We ordered real leather rather than faux leather material and got the power recline feature. I detested the sofa (air bed) that came with the coach, and since there is only the two of us and 1 golden retriever, the sofa (bed feature) was never used anyway. We are excited to have the love seats installed when we go to IN to pick up our coach from service. If you have any questions that I can answer, send me a PM.

Bronk
The Lambright chairs are really good looking chairs I am sure you will enjoy them. Post some pictures after you pick it up I would love to see them.

Our couch looked ok but was not that comfortable sitting in it and sleeping on it was even worse. Like you we are looking forward to our new recliners. I will install them myself and they should fit perfectly in the space where the old couch was. I got down on the floor today and was able to reach in with a socket wrench and take out the 4 bolts holding the couch down. I am glad to know that I can still get down on the floor and lay on my back and do work like I use to. Now if I could only get back up like used to that would be great. I had to crawl over to stair well and hand my legs in there and use the handrail. That would have made a funny Candid Camera shot. Oh well.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:38 AM   #11

In our case we went with LazBoy recliners since I'm 6'4" and the signicant other is 5'. That way we were able to get a recliner that fit us individually.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2013, 09:09 AM   #12

Quote:
As soon as it warms back up here I can get back down to the coach and finish installing the Monaco Double recliner from Monaco Double Recliner. I have taken the old couch out and have the the new recliner in the coach. From what I see the 2 recliner sections have holes to bolt them to the floor on the inside edge at the floor but but nothing on the outside edge. Also it looks like the center section slips in and is attached to a clip on each recliner at the floor level to hold it in place. I may not be explaining that clearly but was wondering how you bolted yours to the floor. Also for the wall away function how much clearance between recliner and the wall and where did you measure from. Thanks for any input.
Old 12-10-2013, 09:16 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I put screws through the front brace (wood). Works good.
Old 12-11-2013, 04:51 AM   #14

Smile recliners

Replaced my couch with 2 recliners from wallmart big and tall wall huggers for 199 each came with backs removed for shipping
stew1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replace