Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-03-2016, 08:16 AM   #1

Replace Day Night shades

I am beginning my research on replacing my day night shades in my Fleetwood revolution. I have looked on line at double roller shades and don't know for sure if that is the direction I want to go. Maybe a single blackout shade and a curtain.
Who has made a change and what direction did you take. Pictures would be great but certainly not necessary in a reply.
Thanks as always

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2016, 08:23 AM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I went with the two roller Auto Motion manual shades and was very pleased with them. Trouble free for the three years I had them in my 08 Bounder. Ido t have any photos handy.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
Clifftall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:09 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by will stevens View Post
I am beginning my research on replacing my day night shades in my Fleetwood revolution. I have looked on line at double roller shades and don't know for sure if that is the direction I want to go. Maybe a single blackout shade and a curtain.
Who has made a change and what direction did you take. Pictures would be great but certainly not necessary in a reply.
Thanks as always
Will,
Well, I've contemplated doing it several times due to broken strings on our day nighters. It's way more of a pain in the a$$ to remove and replace those darn things than it is to re-string them. I get tired of that. So, I've looked into both MCD and, Blind Chalet twin roller systems. Blind Chalet is considerably cheaper than MCD and, has two different ways of mounting their units. However, you the logistics of mounting them, vs the cost savings, can get real tricky real fast.

In our coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon 36GD with the C-7 330HP CAT, has fairly shallow valances. That means, trying to actually mount the Blind Chalet's twin roller shades in that seriously tight situation, is nearly impossible.

MCD however, has "clip on" brackets. Those get mounted before the twin roller unit. Then, you simply lift the twin roller unit up into the valance area and push up and, it pops into place, done! But, for that convenience, you'll pay as much as 30-40% more, for the same shades/systems.

Personally, I'd prefer the twin roller systems over the day nighters. Yes, when the day nighters are working correctly and, with no binding or wear from a zillion times of going up and down, they do work good. But, when they break, AND THEY WILL BREAK, it's a pain to re-string them, not to mention getting them down and back up again.

Both Blind Chalet and MCD offer up multiple colors and shade degrees. I'd have already made the change over to either one of those companies products if it were not for a trip that was close to the time frame for ordering them up and installing them. So, I repaired the one bad day nighter and re-hung it. The next time one breaks, I'm ordering up a whole set of those twin roller treatments, not sure from whom just yet. Those clips from MCD are mighty enticing.
Scott
FIRE UP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:42 PM   #4

We drove to the MCD factory in Texas and had them installed. Have been very happy with them. As said, they are costly.
becks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:46 PM   #5

For what it's worth, I got fed up with the original stringed blinds and replaced all except the windshield with the two roller MCD roll up blinds. They weren't the cheapest option but after about five years I must say I'm very happy with our investment. I did have an issue with the large living room blind not retracting properly but a call to MCD resolved the problem in a jiffy.
Great customer service.

My only regret is not replacing the windshield drapes at the same time.
Old 08-03-2016, 06:58 PM   #6

Why not use miniblinds????
Old 08-03-2016, 07:20 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
We replaced our day nights with Levelor light fliltering roller shades. My wife covered them with upholstery fabric that compliments our valances. They were not that easy to install but the TOTAL cost was around 200 bucks, not hundreds a window and they look really good. I took the money we saved and bought Carefree Full View window awnings for every non slideout window on the coach.

-Gramps- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 09:24 PM   #8

I will be doing the same thing and I have decided to go with cellular shades that are half room darkening and half sheer. I will Velcro the bottom so the shades do not move around and there are handles where you can switch between the blackout shade and the sheer shades. They are called day/night shades.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:27 PM   #9

Country Coach Owners Club
Had MCD shades and a couple of them broke. No real help from MCD other that a 10% off new shades as no parts were available. Took all of them out and installed AutoMotion shades. Much beefier material and hardware, and I am much happier.
Old 08-04-2016, 09:54 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis45 View Post
For what it's worth, I got fed up with the original stringed blinds and replaced all except the windshield with the two roller MCD roll up blinds. They weren't the cheapest option but after about five years I must say I'm very happy with our investment. I did have an issue with the large living room blind not retracting properly but a call to MCD resolved the problem in a jiffy.
My 5-year-old MCDs started malfunctioning a few years ago . . . a couple blinds became loose and one has to be held down with a clamp.

I've done the MCD recommended adjustments, but it's a PITA.

If I had it to do over again, I would have kept the original string shades.
Old 08-04-2016, 10:19 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
My 5-year-old MCDs started malfunctioning a few years ago . . . a couple blinds became loose and one has to be held down with a clamp.

I've done the MCD recommended adjustments, but it's a PITA.

If I had it to do over again, I would have kept the original string shades.

Maybe I got lucky. Other than the one issue they have been flawless. As for the string shades, I'd use a bed sheet before going back to them. Used to have swollen blood vessels due to those.
Old 08-05-2016, 01:45 AM   #12

I bought the string kits at Camping World and re-strung my first day night shade. These strings are much heavier than the old ones. Head scratcher at first and then gave in and read the directions. Lay it out on a big table in the garage and it isn't so bad. After a couple of shades it is not a problem now. But, we like the day night shades and it is worth the effort for me.
Old 08-05-2016, 02:27 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
I don't have a problem with day/night shades. I've cleaned and restrung several of them. On my new to me coach, it came with aluminum blinds. I was going to buy all new D/N shades but it was kinda cost prohibitive at the time. I ended up buying blackout cellular shades for less than 1/2 the price of D/N. I installed them myself and was impressed with the appearance. They look really nice, match my decor and I really like that they actually blackout. If you don't like blackout, you can get light filtering. Mine fit inside the valance and the store will cut to your specifications.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:12 AM   #14

We went to a home improvement store and bought thick pleated blinds for a house. They were made to size. The heavy pleated blinds keep the heat out in the summer and the the heat in in the cool months. We never used the day shades this is what worked for us.

Tags
ace, replace