Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-22-2017, 11:25 AM   #1

Replace Dicor with EternaBond

I was thinking of removing all my Dicor and replacing it with EternaBond. What are the pros and cons of doing this? Any thoughts?

Thanks
Ben
Benellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2017, 12:30 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Newmar Owners Club
Personally here is what I would do.
If old caulk is not looking good. Remove it, then put new dicor down this is your primary seal.
Then Eternabond after properly prepping areas.
Using Eternabond as a secondary seal will insure no problems down the road if properly applied.
Old 07-22-2017, 12:52 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Old caulk on the roof can be very difficult to remove. For large openings such as vents and skylights, you can thoroughly clean the old caulk and apply the 4" EternaBond tape over it, then seal the edges of the tape with Dicor 502LSW self-leveling sealant. On smaller openings such as vent pipes, use the Dicor only!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 01:19 PM   #4

what is the difference between 502LSW and 501LSW?
1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Granning Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
CoachStreamr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 01:31 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStreamr View Post
what is the difference between 502LSW and 501LSW?

From an old post: Per an email from Dicor, the 502 is the same but is intended for machine dispensing. Manufacturers use it I guess.
They said I could use either one for my satellite dish.

The email reply:
"The 501LSW was developed to be used at the consumer level. The 502LSW was developed to be used in a pumping system at the manufacturing level. Very little difference with the exception of case quantity.

Any or all of Dicor’s lap sealants will work for your application depending on whether you need a self leveling or non-leveling lap sealant.

Kathy/Dicor"
Yosemite77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 01:48 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benellie View Post
I was thinking of removing all my Dicor and replacing it with EternaBond. What are the pros and cons of doing this? Any thoughts?

Thanks
Ben
Con: The tape won't lay flat so it will pucker after time allowing moisture in.

I tried the tape 1st but it puckered after a couple years (tape works great on flat smooth surfaces like a rip).

Then I used this https://www.eternabond.com/EternaCau...ternacaulk.htm
I applied the eternacaulk right over the Dicor (after scraping the top surface) several years ago and it has remained sealed/still looks good. I did the ladder, antennas, and all roof vents and have been very pleased with the results.
tomwalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 02:06 PM   #7

Isn't EternaCaulk a competitor/similiar product to the Dicor self leveler?

I started a similiar thread a few days ago asking

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/appl...on-350062.html

Some of those guys recommend taking down the old Dicor (as much as you can, flat), use acetone to clean, new Dicor then Eternabond tape.

No mention there using the Eternabond caulking (does look interesting). I'm still deciding if I will use Acetone, Turpentine (from that Georgia Lumber Company) or use the Eternabond cleaning and Primer.

To replace the Plumbing vent, I'll remove the old Dicor, put down Dicor Brand 1/8" 3/4" Butyl tape, screw it down and then Dicor over the top. Since round, not going to use EternaBond there.

I have not decided exactly what I am doing to repair around the vents.

1995 36' Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser (Model #8360) on 1995 Spartan EC-2442 Chassis w/Granning Air Ride | Cummins B5.9L 12V 230hp | Allison MD3060 6-Speed WTEC II
Old 07-22-2017, 02:16 PM   #8

The previous owner used some type of caulk down the length of the roof seams in a four inch wide swath. Looks like he taped the edges as they are very straight. Some of the caulk has been cracking and I have been using Dicor self leveling over them for an interim fix. The caulk the PO put down is hard and I can't remove short of a wire wheel. Thinking I might smooth it out and use a wide Eternabond tape over the whole thing so I overlap the old caulk by a couple of inches.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 04:22 PM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benellie View Post

Thanks
Ben
Pros - Long lasting, easy to install, works best for seal straight lines (roof to cap, skylights,,,), easy to install in emergencies.

Cons - Cost (~ $4 per SqFt), can be difficult to remove, doesn't cover circular items (tank vents, ladders,,,) cleanly, once stuck to something you can't remove it to reposition.

I used tape as much as I can except for the tank vents. The oldest is six years and showing no signs of loosening or puckering. I did remove all the old sealant prior to taping. More for a cleaner visible appearance than anything else. Heating the old caulk will soften it and it will come off easily. I have had to remove five year old tape. Not an impossible project but more effort as compared to caulk. Same as caulk, heat it up and scrape it off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01581.jpg
Views:	261
Size:	302.4 KB
ID:	169697   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170514_172410.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	354.3 KB
ID:	169698  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20170514_172341.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	254.3 KB
ID:	169699   Click image for larger version

Name:	20170514_172329.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	229.9 KB
ID:	169700  

Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2017, 05:36 PM   #10

@Sweetbriar
on that last picture with the misc tape pieces, was that because there we peeling there?

Once you removed the old caulking, did you put some new caulking or Dicor then the EternaBond tape?

BTW, looks great!
Old 07-23-2017, 02:14 AM   #11

Thanks for all the replies. I removed all the old Dicor and re-dicored those areas as the tape would not have been an easy install on the small and rounded areas. I will use the eternaBond on long straight shots.
Benellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 06:11 AM   #12

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoachStreamr View Post
@Sweetbriar
on that last picture with the misc tape pieces, was that because there we peeling there?

Once you removed the old caulking, did you put some new caulking or Dicor then the EternaBond tape?

BTW, looks great!
Removed a dead roof satellite and the misc tape is covering where the mounting hardware was located. No caulking under the tape but no reason why you couldn't other than a suspenders and a belt setup.
Sweetbriar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 08:47 AM   #13

On my front and rear cap seams I removed the old Dicor completely, cleaned thoroughly with acetone and then applied 6" wide Eternabond. If applied correctly I don't why you would use new Dicor under the Eternabond. Now if you don't feel like scraping off the old caulking then clean and go over with the tape.
MoCoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 09:33 AM   #14

Installed quite a bit of Eternabond on our Bounder well over 12 years ago. Cleaned the self leveling Dicor, repaired as needed and applied new self leveling Dicor. Let sit 24 hours, cleaned the areas with Acetone (Caps and all the way down the side of the coach, where the roof tucks into the sidewall. Both sides. So lots of 4" Etenrabond.) And installed the Eternabond. Look at several the Youtube's on tips. We bought a small wallpaper roller to help work out bubbles and wrinkles. And per instructions, ExactoBlade cut a few of the bubbles to help work out air.

We sold this coach to a local gent, and I saw it recently - Eternabond is still looking good. The new owner had only done normal maintenance on the roof, washing it yearly. He did add more Eternabond and Dicor self leveling to areas around the skylight, and one other area.

So I personally feel Eternabond is just about an 'install and forget' preventative maintenance item.

Best to all,
Smitty
Smitty77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, dicor, eternabond, replace