Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2014, 01:48 PM   #1

Replace ducted air conditioner unit...something I can do?

Looks like the front unit AC has pooped out after 15 years of service. I am assuming it is the original.

By chance does anyone know what brand units Holiday Rambler would have used for a 99 DP coach and what would be a replacement?

Is this a job I could perform. I have done some minor house wiring when I gutted my living room and rewired it with new circuits.

Are these things just held on to the coach by four bolts and roof sealer, pretty much?

Any pitfalls, parts or kits that I should buy with a new unit?

Would love to save some cash and do it myself.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2014, 01:53 PM   #2

What's it doing? May just need a new part. Lot's of knowledgeable people on the forum.
charliej is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 02:04 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliej View Post
What's it doing? May just need a new part. Lot's of knowledgeable people on the forum.
Well, it moans and slow hums like it's really trying to do something. Fan does not seem to be pushing air, yet, I get a very slight cool air sensation when I put my hand right up to the ceiling vent.

Then, sometimes it makes this last gasp sound and stops like a low letting of air pressure.

I did turn off my rear unit to give the front all the generator power available and noticed no change.

I did have new covers put on last spring.
Old 06-18-2014, 02:09 PM   #4

Does the fan turn freely? Like you spin it and it keeps going some or stop pretty quickly? Does the noise seem to come from the fan or the compressor?
Old 06-18-2014, 02:14 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
It sounds like your fan motor has died but the compressor is still running. A new fan motor and capacitor installed would be far less than a new AC unit. The cool air you're feeling suggests that the compressor is still working. I suspect the unit is running for a while, then shutting down because the fan isn't allowing the unit to move heat, which overloads the compressor after a bit.

Get someone to look at the fan. I rebuilt one of mine in my garage and it is simple and parts are readily available, so you should be able to get this fixed.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
tricotec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 02:23 PM   #6

I was thinking if the fan would spin freely, maybe just a new start capacitor. I just replaced my fan motor found it on amazon for $105 local parts store wanted more than twice that amount. Be very careful with the capacitor, they will hold a charge that could knock you off the roof, I have been told.
Old 06-18-2014, 03:28 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
It sounds like it would be either the fan motor or the start capacitor to me. I just replaced the Dometic heat pump in the LR and it's quite a job and VERY expensive compared to the cost of a new fan motor.

You can take the cover off and use a voltmeter to check the AC voltage to the fan motor while it is on but not moving air.

If you do decide to get a new unit I will go into detail on the problems I ran into, but maybe you can avoid that.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 03:50 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
On my 2000 Allegro Bay it was just the capacitor that was the problem. FWIW on mine (maybe all, I don't know) there is a start and a run capacitor and it could be either or both. I carefully removed the cover as well as the metal inside cover to reach the capacitors. I took them to my local AC supply and matched them up. About $20 and an hour to do. Mine was doing pretty much what you d describe but now has run perfect for two years. Good luck and do exercise caution with the capacitors.
memphisflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 05:52 PM   #9
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by memphisflyer View Post
On my 2000 Allegro Bay it was just the capacitor that was the problem. FWIW on mine (maybe all, I don't know) there is a start and a run capacitor and it could be either or both. I carefully removed the cover as well as the metal inside cover to reach the capacitors. I took them to my local AC supply and matched them up. About $20 and an hour to do. Mine was doing pretty much what you d describe but now has run perfect for two years. Good luck and do exercise caution with the capacitors.

What he's referring to is that the capacitors store an electrical charge after the unit is turned off and can give you quite a jolt! Be sure the AC power is off to the A/C units, then short across the capacitor terminals with a screwdriver to discharge them.
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2014, 07:15 PM   #10

Well then, I guess I have some investigating to do this weekend.

I would really rather just fix the unit and not pay Lord knows what for a new unit.

I'll post back what I find this weekend. I still am wrapping up my toilet floor damage repair. I think I can at least find some time to take a look and take some pictures and assess.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:17 PM   #11

Freightliner Owners Club
My run capacitor went out in 2012, basically the same symptoms. Very easy to tell which one was bad, removed the ac shroud and metal cover, capacitor was fat, split and leaking... I think part was +-$40.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 12:00 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Short answer: First determine the make and model To do this you might try removing the inner cover (Remove intake filters you should see a total of 4 screws on most units, Remove 4 screws and the inner cover should come down, Clean filters and cover while you have it down)

Look up into the unit and you should see a label, most A/C's it's in there.

NOW; Even if the A/C maker is out of business, odds are someone makes a compatible top unit.

From the point I just left you.. unplug one or two wires that connects the top unit to the bottom unit, Remove 4 bolts.

Now repair to the roof, with help.. Lift the top unit on and carefully lower it to the ground. Carefully lift new unit to roof, Inspect gasket, if needed replace, lower new unit onto gasket, have help line up the holes, insert 4 bolts, and tighten to spec, Re-connect cables and test, reinstall inner cover fand filters.

NOTE: on mine, since the OEM no longer makes RV A/Cs I had to use and adapter for the electrical, this involved replacing one MOLEX connector and the attached pigtail, it was all in the kit.. Very easy for me, not so much for the dealer's tech. (I am more into electronics).
Old 06-19-2014, 12:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Bolt View Post

I would really rather just fix the unit and not pay Lord knows what for a new unit.

I'll post back what I find this weekend. I still am wrapping up my toilet floor damage repair. I think I can at least find some time to take a look and take some pictures and assess.
My 97 Endeavor had a Dometic unit. If you have an original, think carefully about repair vs. replace. At 15 years, yours is probably near end-of-life. A new top unit will cost about $400. Have look at your wall thermostat and count the buttons. If it's a 4-button that's gonna' be a problem for replacement ... if it's a 5-button life is easier. Total time for replacement is about 3 hours at a reasonable pace. Unit weighs about 75-100 lbs so think about how you will get it to the roof.
Old 06-19-2014, 12:54 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Bolt View Post

BTW, I can pretty much guarantee all of the sealing tape for the airbox/ducts (in both your units) has come loose and will need to be replaced. In addition, your ductwork where it meets the airbox has probably collapsed.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f54/a-c-d...ab-162093.html

This is not directly related to your symptoms but has an affect on A/C efficiency.

Tags
air conditioner, replace