Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 01-30-2014, 06:17 PM   #1
Replace HWH solenoids

Has anyone out there replaced their own slide solenoids? Is it difficult to do and do you need specialized tools?

I have a 2003 Winnebago Adventurer 33V and the creeping problem of the living room slide was diagnosed by Camping World as a faulty retract solenoid and gave us the part numbers of the HWH parts to purchase.

We couldn't get the work done as we were on the move back home at the time. We had a local shop purchase them and they have given a time estimate of 3 hours to install the two solenoids (retract and extend)

Does three hours seem reasonable to do the install? Can I do it myself?

BCIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2014, 06:28 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Country Coach Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I replaced two of those on my previous coach, at 2002 Journey. Use a 1/4" nut driver to release the pressure on the solenoid (open 2 - 3 turns). Disconnect the two wire connector going to the solenoid. I used a pair of channel lock pliers to loosen the solenoid, then it came out easily. Just make sure you keep everything as clean as you can so as not to introduce dirt in the system.

'07 Country Coach Allure 470 Siskiyou Summit #31578, Cummins ISL 425; 2014 Ford F150 toad; Air Force One Toad Brake.
Glen Allen, VA; Smith Mountain Lake, VA.
smlranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:00 PM   #3
Winnebago Owners Club
Yup, did it myself, very simple to replace, however getting my large frame into a comfortable position in the area of the pump/manifold took a little time.
1997 F53 Adventurer 37rw
IAFF L-792 (Retired)
Lt46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 07:16 PM   #4

BC........get rebuilt solenoids directly from HWH in Moscow, IA. Save your old ones for rebuilding. Others have explained how to DIY. Not a real big deal just clean the area before you remove a solenoid
'02 Ultimate Advantage 40J Spartan MM - Cummins ISC
2013 Jeep Rubicon JK Unlimited
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 05:48 PM   #5
I replaced 2 on my 2003 Winne 38G and it took about an hour, including a good cleaning. Might help to have a strap wrench

2006 Windsor PRT
Dalsn1 is offline   Reply With Quote

hwh, replace