Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2015, 09:55 PM   #1

Replace hydraulic hose to bedroom slide

I have a 2005 Georgetown with a Lippert LCI hydraulic system and one of the hydraulic hoses going to the bedroom slide out has ballooned out The entire outer layer of the hose feels as though fluid has filled it and there are places along the hose that are wet from fluid. I want to replace the hose before it bursts.
How big of job is it to replace the hose. It runs under the motorhome along the frame and is tied to other hoses and wires approx 20 feet. My plans are to crawl under and remove the hose and take it to NAPA to get a replacement made. It is the black hose and I have to run the slide out to access the hose on the cylinder. Is there any precautions I need to take to remove the line? I think I have read that the system will self purge the air out after replacement, or do I need to bleed air from hose? Will there be high pressure in the hose when I disconnect it ? Any advise would be appreciated.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-19-2015, 10:13 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
It'll be messy and you'll need to add fluid when you replace the old hose and it'll take time to bleed the air out. I would find a hydraulic hose repair guy locally and take your hose to them. They can make up a new hose with the right ends installed and it will be cheaper and better quality.

Craig & Carolyn Roberts Apple Valley, CA
2006 Newmar 3910 KSDP 400 ISL Cummins Spartan Mountian Master Chassis
Toad: 2017 GMC Canyon 4X4 Crewcab
DD788Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 09:14 AM   #3

You better take a good look at the rest of the line.
I had to replace every line in my 2006 goof stream for the same reason. All of them had serious blisters. 8 hoses to jacks, 2 2 each. 8 hoses to the slides.
It was a real pain. Fortunately for me I was able to do all the work myself. Barrowed a hose crimper from one of my brothers and 700' of new 10,000 psi rated hose.
Old 08-20-2015, 03:19 PM   #4

Thanks for the replys. I got it done today, wasn't fun. Got the hose made up at NAPA and it looked much better than original. Cost $165 with tax for the 25 foot hose.
I didn't notice any of the other hoses with blisters, but it's probably a matter of time before they will need replacing.
Old 08-24-2015, 01:56 AM   #5

Evening gbing- When you replaced the hose, was the line under pressure? I noticed a blown line in my LCI system as well this weekend, and I'm researching to do the replacement myself. I just plan to take the line off and plug both ends, then take the line to a local shop to fabricate. My line runs to one of the jacks. Its orange, so the LCI tech sheets indicate its for extension.
Old 08-24-2015, 06:18 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by gator_rv View Post
Evening gbing- When you replaced the hose, was the line under pressure? I noticed a blown line in my LCI system as well this weekend, and I'm researching to do the replacement myself. I just plan to take the line off and plug both ends, then take the line to a local shop to fabricate. My line runs to one of the jacks. Its orange, so the LCI tech sheets indicate its for extension.
The line I replaced was for extension also. It was under the bed for bedroom slide. I has to extend the slide to get at the hose. What I did was extend it fully and then run back other direction slightly to take pressure off hose. I don't know if that was necessary, but I didn't have pressure on hose. New hose much better than old one was. Good luck.
Old 08-24-2015, 10:55 PM   #7

Appreciate the quick reply. The lines installed on my coach were dyna flex. I'm taking the line to a truck repair shop, but I figure it'll also be just as good, if not better.

Tags
ace, replace, slide