Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-01-2012, 04:45 PM   #71

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Do what your gut tells you... Everyone here has different opinions..

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-12-2012, 04:30 PM   #72

tire brands

A word of wisdom! Rv specific tires are suppose to have more chemicals in them. (oil) This is to make them last longer from what I was told. To replace your RV tires with a truck tire, you need to look at how many miles you drive and how long they set. I had a gas motorhome at one time and had continual tire issues. I had to talk to a lot of people in the tire buisness until I finally found a seasoned salesman. If you let your coach set for periods, keep the pressure correct. Goodyear has a very good article on their website about pressure. Second, keep your tires clean. Be it an automobile or anything else as the road dirt actually sucks the oil out of the tires. Keep your jacks down if you have them as that keeps the tires from flatspotting. And, if parking on concrete especially, protect the tires from the hard surface as it too sucks the oil out. If on concrete, have it epoxy coated. This seals the concrete and seperates the tires from the concrete. Try to keep the sun off as well to prevent the same issues.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:40 PM   #73

4 years and 50 k miles my Michelin XZE's have done a great job so far. Wear is within reason and 0 issues. Got soaked for 2 in Sarasota, 4 in Terra Haute were much more reasonable.
Stnlss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:39 PM   #74

Monaco Owners Club
tire replacements

I thought I would add my experience to this post as I used it 9 months ago for advice. I replaced my 255/80/22.5 Michelins last year as they were 11 years old. No signs of wear, just worried about age. I did my research and decided to replace them with Toyos as I have had great luck with them on my cars. The net of the experience is that they rode so much harder and induced front-end wander. I had two shops look at the wander, one wanted to replace my steering box on the Holiday Rambler and the other set the toe-in 1/8" to help. The toe-in did help but not completely. After 1000 miles I took them back, and to Les Schawb's credit they returned all but the mounting fees. I went back to Michelins and the ride and drive returned to normal. I don't think there is anything wrong with the Toyos on trucks, they just are not made for motorhomes. When I was having the Toyos dismounted one the tire techs said this was the 3rd set they had taken off motorhomes so I don't think it was just my experience.
Old 02-13-2012, 12:58 PM   #75
Moderator Emeritus

Thanks for telling us about your experience especially when it is a back to back test like that. That's very interesting. Lesson learned on that. If something works great then don't change it. Lucky you didn't lose much money on that swap back.
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 03:43 PM   #76

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Yeah... always go Michelin...
Old 02-13-2012, 04:05 PM   #77
Moderator Emeritus

So are you puking on Michelins?
Mike Canter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012, 06:46 PM   #78

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Pretty much... yeah.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:27 AM   #79

Monaco Owners Club
Are you aware of the FMCA Michelin program? If you are a member, you can find info on the website. They allow you to purchase the tires locally under the national purchase agreement they have with Michelin and it saved me about $550 over the local retail price. If you aren't a member then it would be the best $40 you ever spent. It involves a little paperwork but it is worth the time unless you really have to buy immediately.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:48 PM   #80

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I've got Michelin 235/80r 22.5 XRv's on my unit. I don't travel long distances and only have 18k miles on them. They are 11 years old and look like new but I'm changing them now. No cracks so far . Unit has been stored inside, inflated at all times to max pressure on sidewall all the way around @100lbs. With service like that why would I buy anything else? My best price locally is $2998.00