Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-17-2011, 05:31 PM   #1

Replace Michelin XRVs? Weight concern?

It's almost time to retire. I mean re-tire--I am retired.
I've got the original Michelin 235-80-22.5 tires, 7 years old, and other than moderate sidewall cracking, I've had no issues with these particular tires.
My replacement choices are Michelin again, or Bridgestone or Toyo. That's all I can find locally. The Michelins will run me $500 more than the Toyos and $200 more than the Bridgestones.
Now, cost is a factor, but not the only one. When I look at the tire specs for the size I need, the weights are quite different.
Michelin - 78.9 lb.
Toyo - 89.3 lb.
Bridgestone - 92.7 lb.
For 6 tires that is from 62.4 to 82.8 pounds total more than Michelins.
Has anyone else considered the weight difference in selecting new tires? Maybe 60-80 pounds isn't that big a deal, but still... And more unsprung weight adds to suspension wear and tear and maybe quality of ride.
I'm leaning to Michelin again just because of weight. I was going with Toyo until I did my research.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-17-2011, 06:09 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Now thats a interesting question you have two2go most people changing out from Michelin are alway considering price compared to tire weight.
The heavier tire may have some affect on the axles and suspension of chassis.
A ten pound difference may mean allot as you have said.
I have always bought the Michelin's because thats what the MFG put on and I have never had a blow out with them and have gone 8 years or more with them on three Newmars.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:14 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Michelin says their tires are good for 10 years.
Triker56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:29 PM   #4

I for one wouldn't go ten years five to seven maybe I just put Toyos on mine and I was a michelin tire fan I am happy so far.
Randy blase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:44 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by two2go View Post
It's almost time to retire. I mean re-tire--I am retired.
I've got the original Michelin 235-80-22.5 tires, 7 years old, and other than moderate sidewall cracking, I've had no issues with these particular tires.
My replacement choices are Michelin again, or Bridgestone or Toyo. That's all I can find locally. The Michelins will run me $500 more than the Toyos and $200 more than the Bridgestones.
Now, cost is a factor, but not the only one. When I look at the tire specs for the size I need, the weights are quite different.
Michelin - 78.9 lb.
Toyo - 89.3 lb.
Bridgestone - 92.7 lb.
For 6 tires that is from 62.4 to 82.8 pounds total more than Michelins.
Has anyone else considered the weight difference in selecting new tires? Maybe 60-80 pounds isn't that big a deal, but still... And more unsprung weight adds to suspension wear and tear and maybe quality of ride.
I'm leaning to Michelin again just because of weight. I was going with Toyo until I did my research.
I think size is more important than weight. What sizes are the toyo and bridgestones?

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 06:49 PM   #6

I don't remember off the top of my head but they were Toyos replacement for the michelins
Randy blase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:36 PM   #7

Country Coach Owners Club
Could you explain how unsprung weight affects the suspension?

I really don't think you can tell the difference in in ride based on weight of the tires. Some will have a stiffer sidewall and I agree that you might be able to tell a ride difference but I can't see the weight of the tire being in the equation.

BTW, I had Toyo tires and they were excellent. I aged them out with almost 50,000 on them and they still had a lot of tread on them. At the time Country Coach and Toyo had a falling out and I couldn't find a dealer that would install Toyo on a CC. I went with the Goodyear G670 and what a mistake. Huge POC of a tire.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 11:02 PM   #8
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
After just recently buying my RV one of the first things I did was to get aluminum wheels front and rear to reduce the unsprung weight, here shortly when I get the longer studs in hand I'll change them and install inner rear aluminum wheels as well.

I would not want to gain that weight back again by using heavier rubber. It's one of the only mods I've considered for now to improve the ride quality.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:59 AM   #9
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Wow! Your statement of $500 and $200 more than other tires get me thinking how lucky I was. I had a blow-out in WA and I replaced two Michelin 235 80R22.5 for $433 each. Then road service, balancing, etc. gave me a walk out bill of $1007.

I really thing you can find a better deal on Michelin. I queried the Web and found several in the $450 range. I hope you can find something near by. Shop some more.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:50 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M View Post
Wow! Your statement of $500 and $200 more than other tires get me thinking how lucky I was. I had a blow-out in WA and I replaced two Michelin 235 80R22.5 for $433 each. Then road service, balancing, etc. gave me a walk out bill of $1007.

I really thing you can find a better deal on Michelin. I queried the Web and found several in the $450 range. I hope you can find something near by. Shop some more.
I think the OP meant 500 to 200 dollars more per set of 6.
firedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 10:59 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedoc View Post
I think the OP meant 500 to 200 dollars more per set of 6.
Yes. $500 for 6. I was quoted $385 ea for Michelin. plus all the service add-ons which are equivalent for any brand.
Regarding unsprung weight, consider holding a 5 pound weight at arms length and moving it up and down as fast as you can. Now change that to a 10 pound weight and try it. Your springs and shocks are having to deal with that same change in force and momentum, so it is harder on them.
I was ready to order the Toyo's because they are a good tire and I know I will be replacing whatever I buy in another 7-8 years because of age and not mileage. But the weight difference really hit me and I am still uncertain.
BTW, the Toyo and Bridgestone tires are 245/75-22.5 size, slightly wider but similar diameter. The tread depths of these are 2 to 3 32nd in. deeper, so more tread rubber. Also stiffer sidewalls because they are truck duty as opposed to pure RV duty.
Old 04-18-2011, 06:08 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by two2go View Post
Regarding unsprung weight, consider holding a 5 pound weight at arms length and moving it up and down as fast as you can. Now change that to a 10 pound weight and try it. Your springs and shocks are having to deal with that same change in force and momentum, so it is harder on them.
But UNSPRUNG weight is that weight NOT held up by the springs (hence the name), what you're describing is the sprung weight...
Old 04-18-2011, 07:33 PM   #13
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Your springs and shocks are having to deal with that same change in force and momentum, so it is harder on them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan_Hepburn View Post
But UNSPRUNG weight is that weight NOT held up by the springs (hence the name), what you're describing is the sprung weight...
I believe he is referring to the suspension trying to keep the up and down momentum of the tire and wheel to a minimum as they roll down the road like after hitting something that would what to make them bounce up and down. The less weight of the tire and wheel means less kinetic energy the suspension air or springs have to control or deal with.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 04:13 PM   #14

I've purchased Michelins, Good Years and Bridgestones For my Class A Holiday Rambler Vacationer. My last purchase was six Ohtsu tires from Japan. At one time they manufactured aircraft tires. I have had excellent service with these tires. They have a 14 ply rating at a more reasonable price than either Goodyear or Michelin. Finding the dealer may be a problem. I purchased mine at a Discount Tire Co. My son in law was an over the road commercial trunk driver and he said the Japanese large tires are hard to beat on service and price. Hope this helps. Happy Trails
rfbelpaso is offline   Reply With Quote