Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-12-2012, 10:03 AM   #15

Can anyone recommend a good Class A service facility in Michigan?

I guess it's time to find a facility that will drive my Class A Coach and have the experience and expertise to solve my concerns of not being in control of the the rig when going down the road at 60 - 65 mph. We've taken two short jaunts in it and both times it has been a "pants full" experience. I have tried most all the recommendations suggested in replies.

I live in the Jackson, Michigan - Irish Hills area, but would drive to Adian, Kalamazoo, Lansing, Ann Arbor, west side of Detroit, etc., etc. to find a qualified shop!

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,
tom

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2012, 11:24 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom730
1989 - 30 ft. Pace Arrow (on John Deere Chassis) still has about one inch of free play in steering wheel. Very annoying... Causes me to constantly oversteer & correct the unit. Front end alignment and inspection last week did not uncover any loose or worn parts other than a casual mention that one grease fitting was not taking grease properly on the idler arm... Told me to keep an eye on it for future wear. They did adjust the steering gear adjustment screw about a quarter turn and it helped some, but not to my complete satisfaction. They also increased the tow-in. I'm wondering if replacement of the steering box would provide tighter tolerances and give me the responsiveness I'd feel comfortable with??? Anyone have any experience with this type of replacement??? Where would I even find an '89 steering box for a Pace Arrow/John Deere chassis/Ford drive train??? Do they make Heavy duty beefed up replacement parts for this or just rebuilt factory parts??? Unit does have a Safe-T-Steer unit on it, but I have no records to determine it's age. I am planning to take it off and ship it to them to test for me in order to see if that is a weak link... Or not. Unit has factory More Ride system and what appears to me (???) to be a front and rear sway bar of older vintage. Unit will track pretty straight on good highway at 55mph. Over 60mph and I get the sensation that the front end is skating on ice or floating on me and it makes me nervous. Trucks passing give me a pretty good push. Oncoming trucks are not so noticeable. Curves give me white knuckles if I take then a little too fast and the rig leans to far right or left on me... That's all I got for now... Any thoughts, suggestions or questions are appreciated. Oh yeah, although it's an '89 this is a new unit for us, (but not our first rodeo) - been a number of years, but we've had both Class A and C before.

Thank you,
Tom
Thanks again to all who have shared idea's with me. Problem is now solved. I pulled off the steering gear and had it checked out by Weller Truck Parts in Grand Rapids (www.wellertruck.com). They have many locations throughout the USA. Great folks to deal with. They tested my steering gear box and confirmed it was
bad. Now when I turn the steering wheel a quarter inch, the tires turn without hesitation. Nice solid feel when steering with great response...Whew!

Thank you all,
Tom

Old 09-02-2012, 11:31 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom730

Thanks again to all who have shared idea's with me. Problem is now solved. I pulled off the steering gear and had it checked out by Weller Truck Parts in Grand Rapids (www.wellertruck.com). They have many locations throughout the USA. Great folks to deal with. They tested my steering gear box and confirmed it was
bad. Now when I turn the steering wheel a quarter inch, the tires turn without hesitation. Nice solid feel when steering with great response...Whew!!!

Thank you all,
Tom

Also, the folks at Safe-T-Steer were fabulous to work with too... Send my unit to them UPS, they tested it, found it to be working fine... Replaced the rubber grommets and gave me new bolts, and painted it to look brand new and shipped it back to me. They also called me and discussed the issues I was experiencing and had some great suggestions. First class personal service ... I give them A+ for the "wow" factor.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:49 PM   #18
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Tom....I would look at this as a first repair choice....the bell cranks on those coaches were really a weak link. Maybe some others will chime in who replaced theirs. The OEM bell crank is just a cone fit where this is a bearing mount. SS170 Bell Crank
Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2012, 12:55 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diplomat Don
Tom....I would look at this as a first repair choice....the bell cranks on those coaches were really a weak link. Maybe some others will chime in who replaced theirs. The OEM bell crank is just a cone fit where this is a bearing mount. SS170 Bell Crank
Thanks Don, but my coach chassis is a John Deere and they don't have them... Went down that path already.
Old 09-03-2012, 10:51 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom730 View Post
Koda,
We're you also getting the sensation that your front end was skating or floating like it was on ice when you got up to 60 - 65 mph???
This sounds like not enough weight on the front end, or tire pressure too high in the front tires.

Regarding adjusting the steering box, I would adjust it. After having two shops tell me there was nothing wrong with the steering adjustment, I adjusted my freightliner myself. I was careful to not get it too tight, but it drives much better now. Make a mark for the current adjustment location, and count the turns you make so that you can always go back to the current adjustment setting if you don't get any improvement.

Fred
Old 09-05-2012, 09:46 PM   #21

Fred
My front end weighs in at 6500 lbs. I put airbags on the front and back. I use 80 psi in the back and 40 psi in the front. It seems to have helped shifting more weight to the front. Have only had it up to 55 so far. Hopefully it will feel better at 62. Thanks for all the help