Go Back   iRV2 Forums > MOTORHOME FORUMS > Class A Motorhome Discussions
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-21-2014, 09:41 AM   #155

[QUOTE=Dan Wong;2278178]Could you discuss this a bit more, I need a little bit more convincing.

The newer tires will be taller, forcing them to carry more weight, and thus will run hotter - possibly hot enough to permanently damage them.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-21-2014, 09:49 AM   #156

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Wong View Post
Could you discuss this a bit more, I need a little bit more convincing.

My two dual wheels on the back are showing a few hairline cracks. It is a shade over 10 years old with about 95% tread left. To me, this is NEW tires, it hold pressure, no leak or anything (other than age with a few hairline crack). I feel bad throwing out 4 perfectly good tire and the $$$$ goes with it.

I agreed with you- two new tires are better, but for economic reason, I am thinking of replacing one new tire on each side; pair it with one old tire until the tread wear out (say 50%). Am I thinking ok or is old age getting to me? Front tire will be new.

Tire replacement is a personal choice issue. Motorhomes will almost never be driven enough to need replacement based on tread wear. That leaves age. Michelin has published a statement saying that of tires reach 10 years of age, they should be taken out of service.

I do understand your reluctance to replace tires that appear good. Just be aware that age is also a factor.

Steve Ownby
Full time since '07

Steve Ownby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 12:21 PM   #157
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eledonne View Post
I just purchased a 2001 Coachman Santara. I live in Boston but purchased it in FLA to save $$$…The dealer told me the tires were new and they looked new…I did not even make it past South Carolina before I blew a tire…Thank GOD it was a rear tire and I had signed up for roadside assist. The tech that cam out told me that tires were from 2006 and that although that is not super old the tires were dry and cracking…oh…and the spare was original to RV (2001) and practically disintegrated when he took it down from the hold. I got 2 New cheapo tires to get me back to Boston…now I am getting ready to hit the road again…and want to get all new tires…what are the best brands? Are there tires made specifically for RVs?

Gee sounds like the dealer may not have given an acurate description of the RV he sold you. A dealer would never do that would they?

Yes some tires are marketed to the RV market but basically 19.5 & 22.5 tires are truck tires. You should get "All Position" tread design not "Drive" design so if needed you can rotate.

I have a post on my blog titled What is the Best Tire which might help you make an informed buying decision.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:31 PM   #158
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mff View Post
How would we know?
TRUST Who? Government/Big Corporations/lawyers

Was just looking for opinion's from consumers
A quick read of the web page with them touting big $$ awards. To the lawyers any tire that has failed must be defective. All they need to do is convince the jury that the tire or auto company has lots of money. To my knowledge they do not try and prove the defect as to do so would mean they need to show that every tire that has the condition they are pointing to will fail in the same manner and they can't do that.

Sometimes even when the physical evidence shows the tire was run flat for many miles before it came apart the lawyers present a good enough smoke screen to confuse the non-technical jury.

As an engineer I will never be called to serve on a jury as the lawyers don't like people that deal in facts rather than emotion.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:46 PM   #159
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Wong View Post
Could you discuss this a bit more, I need a little bit more convincing.

My two dual wheels on the back are showing a few hairline cracks. It is a shade over 10 years old with about 95% tread left. To me, this is NEW tires, it hold pressure, no leak or anything (other than age with a few hairline crack). I feel bad throwing out 4 perfectly good tire and the $$$$ goes with it.

I agreed with you- two new tires are better, but for economic reason, I am thinking of replacing one new tire on each side; pair it with one old tire until the tread wear out (say 50%). Am I thinking ok or is old age getting to me? Front tire will be new.
Don the issue is that without X-Ray and similar examination it is very difficult to know the condition of the structure of a tire. We engineers do know that rubber looses strength with time & temperature. While it is impossible to predict the exact number of miles or months it will be until a tire fails we do know from experience that the probability of a tire failing increases rapidly after a number of years. In general it is felt that for motorhomes at 5 to 7 years tires need to be dismounted and inspected by a properly trained service person that works for the tire company (ie knows the components of the tire being examined). For trailers the time is shorter at 3 to 5 years.
Motorhomes are riding on borrowed time and the probability increases significantly at about 10 years so that is the generally accepted Max age for large RV tires with 5 to 7 as the max for trailers.

Now this doesn't mean all tires will fail at 10 years + 1 month but we are looking at both probability and potential for damage.
If you choose to gamble please don't complain to anyone here and hopefully if you have a failure there will only be minimal property damage to your RV and no one else will be involved.
The best plan I can suggest is to see if there is a local delivery or dump truck they will buy the used tires and scrub the tread off in a year.
The other plan would be to do a rolling change starting at say 7 years.
Replace the 2 fronts
then the next year move the fronts to one side on the rear and get 2 more new tires and place on the front
then the next year move those fronts to the other rear and get 2 more new tires for the front.

Tags
replace, tires